Players starting to grumble about schotty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/27/the-grumbling-begins-regarding-brian-schottenheimer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tenheimer/</a>

The defense isn’t the only thing some Rams are disgusted with in St. Louis.

Before offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was hired by the Rams, he had become a pin cushion in New York. After crash-landing on his feet when the Jets were ready to move on from him, Schottenheimer put in a solid effort last year for a team that generated a surprising record of 7-8-1.

This year, the Rams are surprisingly bad. Per a league source, players on offense are starting to grumble privately about the coordinator.

In each game this year, the Rams have fallen behind by 10 or more points. In one game — the opener against the Cardinals — St. Louis came back and won.

The Rams currently rank 30th in per-game production, with 301.8 yards per game.

With the Rams ready and willing to sign quarterback Sam Bradford to a long-term deal, someone has to take the fall if the losses continue to pile up. Based on the noise currently coming from the locker room, that someone could be Schottenheimer.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Makes sense, the entire offense is out of wack. If it was just Bradford playing ass awful then I could blame him, but I've seen QBs that are poor hindering good teams, this is not one of those cases.

The team, from it's receivers, running backs, o-line and down to QB are suffering. Even in the most crummy of situations a good player thrives in some way, like Givens and Bradford thriving last year despite the inept play.

Schottenheimer has regressed farther then the putrid crap he was last year, and now even our talented players have all disappeared into the miserable mire that is the Schottenheimer play book.

He's not a good OC and we're all seeing it, the players are getting fed up with it just like the players got fed up with Linehan and it took even longer for the guys on that team to turn on Linehan than it did for these guys to lose faith in Schott.

That says a lot about Schottenheimer.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i wonder how long this goes on before fisher does something

i fear if we have a good performance in jacksonville that will make schotty seem like he's fixed the problem, when it's only a mirage

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really don't put a whole lot of this on Bradford...I've never seen an apologist for him, in fact I've been quite sceptical on his performance thus far. But he puts the ball in good spots if given the time. While he does miss occasionally, I blame a lot on the crashing pocket. Our routes suck, we have no deep ball, our RBs can not get holes to run through. I don't believe it is our players(other than the drops) I think a lot is the underperformance of our line and the shitty play calling.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind, Fisher signed a FIVE year contract. If there is any coaching change after this season, it might be SchottenMurmur.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
iced said:

i fear if we have a good performance in jacksonville that will make schotty seem like he's fixed the problem, when it's only a mirage

What's a bit scary is that Fisher hired Schotty, after seeing his work in NY. You would think a sharp HC would hire a respected and successful guy as his OC.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
max said:
iced said:

What's a bit scary is that Fisher hired Schotty, after seeing his work in NY. You would think a sharp HC would hire a respected and successful guy as his OC.
Fisher did a big no no in head coaching, hiring based on relationships.

Marty was a big factor in Schotty being our OC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:

I fear this too.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
El Juggernauto said:
I really don't put a whole lot of this on Bradford...I've never seen an apologist for him, in fact I've been quite sceptical on his performance thus far. But he puts the ball in good spots if given the time. While he does miss occasionally, I blame a lot on the crashing pocket. Our routes suck, we have no deep ball, our RBs can not get holes to run through. I don't believe it is our players(other than the drops) I think a lot is the underperformance of our line and the crappy play calling.

This.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:

I fear this too.

Sadly, I'm not sure we need to worry about it.
I 'think' it might be THAT bad.

Man I hope I'm wrong.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How does one grumble privately when it's relayed by a league source?
Doesn't sound very private to me.

sent via Tapatalk.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ME: I hope the players start grumbling. Something has GOT to get the Rams attention when it comes to this offense.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh great...they're starting to unravel. Distrust and distention in the locker room. Hooray for 3-13, a top 5 pick and optimism reigns supreme in August!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
After Jax, the Rams play:

at Houston Texans
at Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks
Tennessee Titans
at Indianapolis Colts
Chicago Bears
at San Francisco 49ers

They could lose everyone of those games, and will probably win one or two at best. So even with Jax next week the Rams will likely be 3-9, with 4 games to go. I would think Fisher would make some big changes by then, including demoting Shotty.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Not a fan of hearing this to be honest. It's not that I'm a fan of Schotty, he does need to fix this offense, but I don't like that our players are turning against the coaching staff if this is true.

That being said, sometimes players need a different type of coach to let them play their game. I saw it in LA with their HC. The players were obviously not responding too the coach and as a result their play was not nearly as good as the skill on the roster said it should be. They weren't playing their game though, they were a big fast and young team who needed to play an aggressive game and go after the puck, but he had them playing timid and in the defensive zone. Finally the head coach got fired, and they brought in a new guy who told them to stop hanging back and get after it, and that's what they did. Won the Stanley Cup that year and followed it up with a Conference Finals loss.

The team isn't playing their game and I think that they need to get someone who is going to let them play their game. Their game isn't a ground and pound style, and we need an offensive coordinator who is going to let them use their speed to create mismatches. If Schotty can evolve and do that cool, if not then he's not long for this team.

I think they'll still win 6-9 games, that's what I figured, however they're more likely on the low end of that prediction than the high end. If we don't get someone to use our weapons to their ability then I'm just not sure what will happen though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This may sound weird but I think Schotty is a guy that "knows" football but doesn't really have a great feel for it. As an OC, all your calls are made in a sense of timing. When it's time to run the ball, play action, abandon the run, notice cracks in the defense and exploit them. In lamens terms, he sux. The guy was born a name and he can't stand on his own two feet. He belongs on the sidelines of a small college somewhere. I bet that team would suck, too.

After last night I'm not going back down there until someone is fired. There is ZERO creativity in the offence which is not all but is part of the problem on defense. Also evaluations need to be made on Bradford like it or not and in the end I don't want to hear shotwithshit as the excuse come season end.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bluecoconuts said:
Not a fan of hearing this to be honest. It's not that I'm a fan of Schotty, he does need to fix this offense, but I don't like that our players are turning against the coaching staff if this is true.

That being said, sometimes players need a different type of coach to let them play their game. I saw it in LA with their HC. The players were obviously not responding too the coach and as a result their play was not nearly as good as the skill on the roster said it should be. They weren't playing their game though, they were a big fast and young team who needed to play an aggressive game and go after the puck, but he had them playing timid and in the defensive zone. Finally the head coach got fired, and they brought in a new guy who told them to stop hanging back and get after it, and that's what they did. Won the Stanley Cup that year and followed it up with a Conference Finals loss.

The team isn't playing their game and I think that they need to get someone who is going to let them play their game. Their game isn't a ground and pound style, and we need an offensive coordinator who is going to let them use their speed to create mismatches. If Schotty can evolve and do that cool, if not then he's not long for this team.

I think they'll still win 6-9 games, that's what I figured, however they're more likely on the low end of that prediction than the high end. If we don't get someone to use our weapons to their ability then I'm just not sure what will happen though.

I'm right there with ya and I could have written this exact same thing. But you did it for me LOL.

A poster on the Herd likened the situation to Mike D'Antoni's system with the Lakers, bad fit for the roster and skills of the play makers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
mr.stlouis said:
This may sound weird but I think Schotty is a guy that "knows" football but doesn't really have a great feel for it. As an OC, all your calls are made in a sense of timing. When it's time to run the ball, play action, abandon the run, notice cracks in the defense and exploit them.

I was going to put a post up on a similar topic. My question was going to be; is it the offensive scheme or the playcalling?

It may very well be both... but the question got me thinking; maybe the plays are okay, it's just Schotty doesn't have a feel for the game? No sense of what to do when the opposition messes with his "plan A".

His game-planning skills seem lacking too. I can't quite get my hands around what's wrong here. I mean, I assume we have a game plan each week? It sure doesn't look like it, though.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
CGI_Ram said:
mr.stlouis said:
This may sound weird but I think Schotty is a guy that "knows" football but doesn't really have a great feel for it. As an OC, all your calls are made in a sense of timing. When it's time to run the ball, play action, abandon the run, notice cracks in the defense and exploit them.

I was going to put a post up on a similar topic. My question was going to be; is it the offensive scheme or the playcalling?

It may very well be both... but the question got me thinking; maybe the plays are okay, it's just Schotty doesn't have a feel for the game? No sense of what to do when the opposition messes with his "plan A".

His game-planning skills seem lacking too. I can't quite get my hands around what's wrong here. I mean, I assume we have a game plan each week? It sure doesn't look like it, though.
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.
Schotty should be aware of this. If he's not, that's a problem.