playbook on rams vs cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

so far they've broken down a couple things we've all talked about on here...as well as something that i noticed today. on the pick 6, i saw jared cook starting to come open and bradford missed him. sure enough sharpe saw it and also broke down that play.

shaun ohara was the onlyone who took us, based on how much he liked our pass pro.. other two went with cowboys, with sharpe not sure on what bradfords doing - saying he needs to step up more and make better reads..i agree

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
iced said:
so far they've broken down a couple things we've all talked about on here...as well as something that i noticed today. on the pick 6, i saw jared cook starting to come open and bradford missed him. sure enough sharpe saw it and also broke down that play.

shaun ohara was the onlyone who took us, based on how much he liked our pass pro.. other two went with cowboys, with sharpe not sure on what bradfords doing - saying he needs to step up more and make better reads..i agree

As I've said many times on the pick six, Jared Cook is open in the overhead view but the game isn't played like Madden. You don't get an overhead view.

There are two things that must be noted about the pick six:
1. Sam could not see Weatherspoon because he was hiding behind the OL/DL cluster which made it seem like D-Rich was open
and
2. While Cook had separation, Sam couldn't laser the ball into the window because there was not an open throwing lane. He would have had to loft it to get it over the OL/DL cluster in front of him blocking that lane and there were 3 defenders converging on Cook(Osi, the MLB and the Safety). It would have been a major risk.

On 1st and 10, it's easy to understand why he'd go to the SEEMINGLY open HB for an easy completion.

It's easy to criticize something in hindsight but that's not a play that I am going to criticize Sam for not making.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
when i say i agree i meant that i agree on that he needs to read the field better, get past that 2nd progression..

i still dont understand why pettis is starting either, but i dont think any ram fan does lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
iced said:
when i say i agree i meant that i agree on that he needs to read the field better, get past that 2nd progression..

i still dont understand why pettis is starting either, but i dont think any ram fan does lol

I understand why but it's frustrating. Quick is inching closer to be ready but he's not there yet. And it's better to have a guy that will run the correct routes.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
iced said:

There was an interview with Holt recently and he said that Pettis is probably the best route runner out of the group.... :huh:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram_Fan said:
iced said:

There was an interview with Holt recently and he said that Pettis is probably the best route runner out of the group.... :huh:

He probably is.

And... Route running is a HUGE part of separation. Someone like Pettis needs to be sharp in routes to create opportunity. This is why he'll have a nice NFL career.

Me; I still want to see Quick overtake Pettis on the outside as a starter. This isn't a knock on AP, but we know what he can do. Quick can do things Pettis can't - physically.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Ram_Fan said:
iced said:

He probably is.

And... Route running is a HUGE part of separation. Someone like Pettis needs to be sharp in routes to create opportunity. This is why he'll have a nice NFL career.

Me; I still want to see Quick overtake Pettis on the outside as a starter. This isn't a knock on AP, but we know what he can do. Quick can do things Pettis can't - physically.

pettis struggles at separating though, like big time...

bluecoconuts

Legend
iced said:
CGI_Ram said:
Ram_Fan said:
iced said:

He probably is.

pettis struggles at separating though, like big time...

That's because he's not very fast, our slowest receiver. He gets open by running good routes. That's how he's able to get open on 3rd downs and in the redzone, great route running.

As the other receivers get experience in the system and the NFL their route running will get better and they'll be better than Pettis just because they have more talent. Until then Pettis will get snaps because he knows the offense. Givens does too, but he's enough of a threat that he draws coverage. When Tavon, Quick and Bailey get the offense down as well as those two, we'll see even more from the passing game.