Play GM (Poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Alan

Legend
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/chris-long/
Chris Long:
2014 Base Salary: $13,200,000 Misc: $1,500,000 CAP Hit: $14,700,000 Dead Money: $4,500,000
2015 Base Salary: $8,000,000 Misc: $3,500,000 CAP Hit: $11,500,000 Dead Money: $3,000,000
2016 Base Salary: $9,750,000 Misc: $3,500,000 CAP Hit: $13,250,000 Dead Money: $1,500,000
2017 UFA

Memphis Ram

Legend
There's more risk with Clowney. He may be more physically gifted but there are character concerns. That's why some people aren't as sure about him as you.

I'm sure the Rams will do their due diligence on him, but I had more character concerns on Quinn, Ogletree, and Jenkins that I do Clowney.

Alan

Legend
If Clowny lives up to his billing and replaces C. Long = small to medium upgrade
If Matthews lives up to his billing and replaces Barksdale then J. Long = large upgrade
If Gilbert lives up to his billing and replaces C. Finnegan = huge upgrade
If Haha Clinton-Dix lives up to his billing and replaces McLeod = large upgrade

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram joining the conversation:
I'm sure the Rams will do their due diligence on him, but I had more character concerns on Quinn, Ogletree, and Jenkins than I do Clowney.
Quinn didn't have any character concerns. He did have brain surgery though.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Ok I admit I don't know much about Clowney. I don't care about his speeding tickets and as far as I'm concerned anoyone should be allowed to smoke pot if they can drink beer.

With that said, would someone tell me what it is EXACTLY that he has done to warrant this top 5 talk? Is it because there is no RGME, Luck or Mannings in this draft? What games has he changed? What games has he taken over? Does he dominate? The only press I hear is Neg.

So is he that good? Or does he project to be that good?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Quinn didn't have any character concerns. He did have brain surgery though.

Brain surgery wasn't the reason Quinn missed his final college season. He was kicked out.
BTW, from what I've read he had an issue with tickets, too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If Clowny lives up to his billing and replaces C. Long = small to medium upgrade
If Matthews lives up to his billing and replaces Barksdale then J. Long = large upgrade

It seems where we differ big time is on the billing.

If Clowney lives up to his billing he's giving a Quinn like performance. That's a huge upgrade large. And especially, when he's used inside during those 4 DE sets in a Justin Tuck type role. And via the $$ savings of his rookie contract via the new CBA vs. Long's HUGE deal.

Matthews is considered the best OT (by many) in deep OT class missing a franchise type OT. And I've read where some might consider him being better off at RT in the NFL (questions about arm length). The Matthews option actually reminds me of when Jake Long was drafted. Long got all the pre-draft press but to date the difference between him and a couple others selected later that round have been negligible (Clady and Brown).

As poorly as Finnegan played one could insert quite a few names and have a huge upgrade.
HaHa Clinton-Dix and McLeod. Rams would add range, but might lose some physicality/toughness.

Alan

Legend
You're right Memphis. Thanks for setting me straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Quinn_(American_football)
As a junior in 2010, Quinn missed the season after he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA for lying to investigators about receiving travel accommodations and jewelry.

On November 19, 2013, the University of North Carolina sent a disassociation letter to Quinn, Marvin Austin, and Greg Little for the improper benefits taken during the their time at the university. The three athletes are prohibited from contacting current North Carolina athletes and are not allowed inside the Kenan Football Center or other athletic facilities on campus.

Alan

Legend
Yeah we definitely differ on the billing part. I don't believe anyone is a huge upgrade over Long.

I haven't researched Matthews yet so you may be right about him.

Rams don't have a FS in Mcleod. I don't care if we lose a little physicality if we get a real FS. That is, if I understand it correctly, why we aren't playing more man coverage. I'd call that a large to huge upgrade.

We both agree on CF. :lol:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

I just gotta say if Clowney is close to as good as he can be he's a small to medium upgrade on Quinn who is head and shoulders above Long. And Long is a great player. Think about that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok I admit I don't know much about Clowney. I don't care about his speeding tickets and as far as I'm concerned anoyone should be allowed to smoke pot if they can drink beer.

With that said, would someone tell me what it is EXACTLY that he has done to warrant this top 5 talk? Is it because there is no RGME, Luck or Mannings in this draft? What games has he changed? What games has he taken over? Does he dominate? The only press I hear is Neg.

So is he that good? Or does he project to be that good?

Clowney is 6'6" 275 with rumored 4.46 speed in the 40 and has the ability to overpower OLs with his strength. He also possesses extremely long arms, natural football instincts, powerful hands and great anticipation of the snap.

How good does he project to be? Julius Peppers good. And if he ends up having more drive and a better motor than Peppers...he could be all time great caliber. The guy is one of the freakiest athletes I've ever seen.

What games has he changed? A lot of them. The first game of the year, in 2013, South Carolina played North Carolina. NC completely changed their offense to avoid and try to neutralize Clowney. It ended up neutralizing their offense.

Look at the impact Robert Quinn has on the game. He has the ability to completely disrupt what the offense is trying to do. Look what he did against Chicago and New Orleans...two great offenses. That's what Clowney can offer. And if you have two guys that offer that, that's priceless.

There are few truly elite players in the NFL...don't underestimate how much of an impact they make. How much of an upgrade he is over Long at the moment is irrelevant. The real question is...who do you think will be the best player out of that group in the future? And how close do you think the margin will be between each player?

Alan

Legend
I realize that you're a big fan of Clowney but I'm not. Provisionally. He hasn't shown what you say he has in college. He's looked good but so have many others over the years with better stats. I still don't want him and I'll stand by what I said about his relative abilities. I may have to eat my words this time next year but c'est la vie.:wink:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Clowney isn't dominate.... I'm not going to draft someone in top 2 that doesn't constantly dominate the game. He's layed more than a few donuts this season. If you actually watch his games and not read reviews and highlight videos I'd expect you'd notice the same things as well!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clowney isn't dominate.... I'm not going to draft someone in top 2 that doesn't constantly dominate the game. He's layed more than a few donuts this season. If you actually watch his games and not read reviews and highlight videos I'd expect you'd notice the same things as well!
That right there, don't do it. If you don't agree with my opinion, state differently. But the angle you're taking now is not the right one. I can quite easily post pictures I took from my seat in Williams-Brice Stadium. I have seen EVERY SINGLE GAME that Clowney has played in his career at SC. A good chunk of the games, I've seen live in person from my seat in the stadium.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Clowney is getting comparisons to Julius Peppers and Mario Williams while Matthews compares to Jordan Gross.
Clowney is elite. Matthews may or may not be the best of a deep class at OT.

Clowney all day long. If the team really wanted they could still get an very good OT or WR with the other 1st rounder.

Memphis, always respect your thoughts and opinions but I will say this-Clowney may be getting compared to those guys in terms of talent but I not in work ethic.
And that really is the red flag with him. No question the talent is there. And someone in this thread compared the risk to Quinn. With all due respect, that risk was due to medical, not heart or work ethic.

Question- Why would you want to rotate 3 first round picks if you draft Clowney? Don't see cutting Long's playing time with the $$ he just got. Your certainly not going to take snaps away from Quinn. I get why people want him, but the pick just doesn't make sense to me.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It seems where we differ big time is on the billing.

If Clowney lives up to his billing he's giving a Quinn like performance. That's a huge upgrade large. And especially, when he's used inside during those 4 DE sets in a Justin Tuck type role. And via the $$ savings of his rookie contract via the new CBA vs. Long's HUGE deal.

Matthews is considered the best OT (by many) in deep OT class missing a franchise type OT. And I've read where some might consider him being better off at RT in the NFL (questions about arm length). The Matthews option actually reminds me of when Jake Long was drafted. Long got all the pre-draft press but to date the difference between him and a couple others selected later that round have been negligible (Clady and Brown).

As poorly as Finnegan played one could insert quite a few names and have a huge upgrade.
HaHa Clinton-Dix and McLeod. Rams would add range, but might lose some physicality/toughness.

I guess I might feel different right now if Jake didn't get injured. I really want a dominant OL that can run the ball and give Sam time to pick defenses apart.
I won't be upset if Clowney is the pick. I just think that's are strongest unit and we would end up taking people of strength off the field. Maybe we should go to a 5-2 defense and start them all. LOL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Memphis, always respect your thoughts and opinions but I will say this-Clowney may be getting compared to those guys in terms of talent but I not in work ethic.
And that really is the red flag with him.
No question the talent is there. And someone in this thread compared the risk to Quinn. With all due respect, that risk was due to medical, not heart or work ethic.

Question- Why would you want to rotate 3 first round picks if you draft Clowney? Don't see cutting Long's playing time with the $$ he just got. Your certainly not going to take snaps away from Quinn. I get why people want him, but the pick just doesn't make sense to me.

That was Peppers's biggest knock in college and throughout his career. They said he lacked the work ethic to be the best and didn't have a consistent motor. They were right...but the guy still ended up being a HOF caliber player.

As far as the rotation, we already rotate our players a lot. Sims and Hayes have a combined 700+ snaps this year. They both average playing around 35% to 40% of the snaps per game. Clowney could very easily play 40-50% of the snaps next year if we wanted him to. Hell, it's possible he would even eventually take Long's starting job.