Play GM (Poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

V3

Hall of Fame
It has to be Matthews. He's all but guaranteed to be at least an All-Pro type left tackle (barring injury, of course), he's easily one of the best players in this draft and is - without a shadow of a doubt - the best offensive lineman prospect in this draft. Clowney has issues off-the-field and with his motivation, and Watkins is arguably not even the best receiver in this year's class (if Evans and Benjamin have anything to say about it, that is).

I haven't watched him enough yet so I haven't formed an opinion on his play yet but I've heard others say Matthews isn't the most athletic OT and isn't really an elite prospect. I'm just curious if that "All Pro" expectation is shared by many of the "experts" or scouts?

(btw, I voted Matthews simply based on need now that Long is a big question mark for the future)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I haven't watched him enough yet so I haven't formed an opinion on his play yet but I've heard others say Matthews isn't the most athletic OT and isn't really an elite prospect. I'm just curious if that "All Pro" expectation is shared by many of the "experts" or scouts?

(btw, I voted Matthews simply based on need now that Long is a big question mark for the future)

Yep heard that too and also watched him play in that spread a bunch too. Hard to figure V3...that's why I have been cold on Matthews. But the NFL is constantly changing...and the OLT's are changing too. Just not sure Matthews is what is needed for the Rams in the future @ OLT when Long is gone or injured? You have to wonder how much Johnny Football @ QB has to making him look good? Luke Joeckel was a much better OLT than Matthews. Joeckel has been molested & violated all season.

I am convinced that he could play any of the four OL posts OT/OG. At this point his best post would be ORT then OLG. Questionable if he could come in & start @ OLT & do well going up against SF's or Seattle's speed rushers.

fearsomefour

Legend
Mathews... the bloodlines are undeniable.

Safe pick. Locks down a spot on the oline for many-many years.

This is the pick. Or a trade down or even with a trade down. With Longs' injury, the uncertain status of Saffold and Barksdales' being a FA after next year the Rams could run into having nothing at T very quickly. Draft a T that can step in and play has to be the number one priority of this years draft. That doesnt mean they couldnt take a guy like Clowney if we cant find someone to trade down with and take a T with the second first rounder, but, Mathews, by all accounts, is a guy who should be able to play post haste.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is the pick. Or a trade down or even with a trade down. With Longs' injury, the uncertain status of Saffold and Barksdales' being a FA after next year the Rams could run into having nothing at T very quickly. Draft a T that can step in and play has to be the number one priority of this years draft. That doesnt mean they couldnt take a guy like Clowney if we cant find someone to trade down with and take a T with the second first rounder, but, Mathews, by all accounts, is a guy who should be able to play post haste.

If this pick was made fearsomefour I am of the opinion that Boudreau would move Barksdale over to OLT until Jake return late in 2014 or latter in 2015 and then insert Matthews in @ ORT and let him mature some plus add some pounds he is about 25 pounds lighter than Barksdale maybe 30 pounds lighter than Saffold.

fearsomefour

Legend
If this pick was made fearsomefour I am of the opinion that Boudreau would move Barksdale over to OLT until Jake return late in 2014 or latter in 2015 and then insert Matthews in @ ORT and let him mature some plus add some pounds he is about 25 pounds lighter than Barksdale maybe 30 pounds lighter than Saffold.
Could very well be and that mades me nervous. I was championing Barksdale the day after they signed him and have had a great time watching him develop….we have seen some sample of him at LT but a week in week out starter at LT….I dont know. Best case has Saffold returning and the Rams taking an OT in the first round (I have seen several sources saying there are about 6 first round T prospects this year). The odds of Saffold returning I would put at about 20% unless there is an unseen factor we dont know about….loves the coaches ect.
I could see a first round T pick and, say, a third round T pick this year if Saffold walks.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I have to go Matthews. I think if Bradford is the guy then you have to continue to build a dominant OL. Clowney scares me even with the talent. DL is the strongest unit we have and taking a guy #2 that is reported to take plays off is a huge risk/reward pick. Now, if we were 100% sure he would play with effort like C. Long that is different. But I just don't know. I don't think we have the luxury of taking a what if pick here.
As much as I like Watkins I'd like to see our current WR's continue to develop. (although I would be OK with this pick).

It's tough really, any of these picks make sense to a degree. But OL to me is the biggest need and the rating and need is there, IMO.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Also, Watch out for Jordan Mathews. I get a gut feeling he's going to be better then Watkins @ WR.

RFIP

Too many variables without the knowledge of FA but of those options the only type of player we do NOT have is Watkins.

Clowney would be a luxury, Matthews I could see as a need IF they let Saffold go (won't know till April) and/or IF they cut Long.

Yes Long most likely would be PUP to start the year but a Saffold/Barksdale tandem is fine by me.

Watkins is the star #1 receiver this team has begged for since the departue of Holt.

RFIP

I think I'd take Barr. He would stay in on 3rd down since he's a great pass rushing LB. The front 7 would be lights out.

Max you know I trust you draft thoughts, question though; I read "elsewhere" where people think Barr is NOT a great pass rusher at the next level? People like Van Noy better.

Your thoughts?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Mathews for sure, If Lee was there over Watkins it would have been more difficult

Alan

Legend
RFIP with a question:
Max you know I trust you draft thoughts, question though; I read "elsewhere" where people think Barr is NOT a great pass rusher at the next level? People like Van Noy better.
I know you asked max but while you're waiting for his reply let me ask you a question. Do 4-3 teams draft OLBs for their pass rushing abilities?

For myself, I'm much more interested in his ability to cover TEs and stop the run.

tonyl711

Starter
if we don't trade down (which I strongly believe we will), I think you have to go Oline, with Saffold probably gone and Long no guarantee to be ready to start the season next year you have to shore up the Oline, not only at Tackle but Guard as well.

RFIP

I know you asked max but while you're waiting for his reply let me ask you a question. Do 4-3 teams draft OLBs for their pass rushing abilities?

For myself, I'm much more interested in his ability to cover TEs and stop the run.

I agree with you, Ogletree is great in coverage and has come on in run D, just what the doc ordered. I do believe in years to come with his speed AO will be a demon off the edge as a blitzer too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Clowney is getting comparisons to Julius Peppers and Mario Williams while Matthews compares to Jordan Gross.
Clowney is elite. Matthews may or may not be the best of a deep class at OT.

Clowney all day long. If the team really wanted they could still get an very good OT or WR with the other 1st rounder.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Beg your pardon sir, but we already HAVE the best DE in the game. :juiced: Just curious, and I know Clowney has a ton of potential, but where would you line him up? If you saw my mock draft, you would see that I had the Rams taking 2 OLs in the first rd, haha. Make the OL an area of strength and let Sam and his new running game do WORK on some suckers next year.

LDE

Sitting behind Long and Quinn for a year will likely be positive for his development...if he does earn the starting job over Long...sounds good to me. We can cut or trade Long after 2014 and save a decent amount of cap room...without eating much dead money.

While I would love to make the OL a strength...and trust me, in plenty of my mocks, I've gone that direction...I also have always been unwilling to pass on guys that I rate as superior value to go pure need.

Now, if we get a good trade down offer...by all means, trade down for Jake Matthews.

V3

Hall of Fame
Clowney is getting comparisons to Julius Peppers and Mario Williams while Matthews compares to Jordan Gross.
Clowney is elite. Matthews may or may not be the best of a deep class at OT.

Clowney all day long. If the team really wanted they could still get an very good OT or WR with the other 1st rounder.

There's more risk with Clowney. He may be more physically gifted but there are character concerns. That's why some people aren't as sure about him as you.