Play Calling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
If the Rams can come up with some innovative play calling on both sides of the ball, they'll win Sunday. I respect Lovie Smith, but I believe we can beat his team if the Rams mix it up a bit. We need the defense to step up and prove they're one of the best units in the NFC. And I sure hope the receiver catch every ball thrown their way.

Go Rams!!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
You'd have to think that the team will show their best offense every week! They need to win as many games as they can! If they don't, they will be picking high in the draft with their own pick! If they don't do their best to do so, it's time for some changes!

fearsomefour

Legend
I dont think the Rams need to dig too deep into the bag of tricks, they DO need to execute a lot better.
I am going to be watching the Rams line run block. Im sure they will be facing a stacked box a lot, but, they need to find a way to get some movement in the run game.
Tackling could be a big key this week. The Bucs do a lot of short passing and have a couple of very big, physical receivers. A match up problem for almost anyone. But, keeping a 5 yard catch to 5 yards as opposed to 16 because of broken tackles, that could be key.
Austin in motion early....running crossing routes and getting him the ball in space. He is our best shot of a quick short throw going for big yards.
I have revamped my optimism for this game. Tampa Bays O was not impressive last week. I think the vet O line bounces back and the D is disciplined.
Rams 23 Bucs 17.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The Cover 2 that Lovie Smith is known for , will be prime for guys like Cook, Kendricks, Britt and Quick to have big games. With Cook and Kendricks attacking the seams of the Cover 2, they can and should be targeted. Quick runs the deep dig route as well as anyone, and this is another staple route in attacking the Cover 2.

If Cook can work the middle of the field, occupying the Safeties, that should in theory open up the sideline fade route for Britt. Its just a matter of having a QB who can make these throws.

All that being said, none of it will matter if they can't and don't run the ball.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Can you define "innovative?"

I hope for execution and minimal drive stalling penalties. Both self-inflicted and ref judgement.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Cover 2 that Lovie Smith is known for , will be prime for guys like Cook, Kendricks, Britt and Quick to have big games. With Cook and Kendricks attacking the seams of the Cover 2, they can and should be targeted. Quick runs the deep dig route as well as anyone, and this is another staple route in attacking the Cover 2.

If Cook can work the middle of the field, occupying the Safeties, that should in theory open up the sideline fade route for Britt. Its just a matter of having a QB who can make these throws.

All that being said, none of it will matter if they can't and don't run the ball.
Good point regarding the Cover 2 Lovie runs....forgot about the ol cover 2.
I am looking forward to much improved performance this week.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

A couple of things.....is he running that D and does he have the guys who can do it well and we already know that Hill can make the throws and Austin cannot LOL.

You're on the mark regarding running the ball. I know last week they got in deep and had to throw but even before then they didn't get the ground attack going at all. I suspect we are going to see the Seattle Plan in effect, 45 runs and 25 passes.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The only penalties I want to see this week , are from o linemen playing through the whistle.
Run block. Run block. Run block.

Last edited:

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
I think the keys for this week are fundamentals, execution, and avoiding stupid penalties. It seems that in the last few years the Rams have had a game here and there where they just weren't mentally prepared (The Patriot game in London from '12 comes to mind ). Hopefully we got that one out of our system last week.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
They don't need innovative play calling. They need execution. It starts with the offensive line.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The only penalties I want to see this week , our from o linemen playing through the whistle.
Run block. Run block. Run block.

I can live with 5,6 or 7 penalties but when they are cracking a dozen it's going to change the outcome of the game most of the time.