Play Action

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pididdy

UDFA
Name
Paul
After watching three ram games, I think that the Rams offensive scheme should call for more play action formations rather than the sit in the pocket approach. Play action opens up the offense to more
creative plays and allows Goff to freeze the defense with his decision as to whether to pass or run. Another observation....what ever happened to the technique whereby the quarterback hides the ball as he fakes a handoff....I think it is an art lost

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Welcome to ROD. In regards to your post, we run the play action/run action as much as we should. If you start running it too much, your offense becomes predictable. And that's what McVay is a genius at preventing.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
True, but proper play action needs to be set up with the threat of a running game.

I think we now have that threat :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah play-action is definitely PART of the formula.
But as Jack pointed out above, just PART.
The thing that works best in an offense is the ability to run it equally with the ability to pass it.

THAT is what will keep a defense guessing.

We have learned that all too well watching the Rams one-dimensional offense is the last few years.
You also can't be one-dimensional with all short passes or all long passes or all runs up the middle, etc.

That is one of the main reasons team score at all is because they have the element of surprise going for them.

Luckily we get to watch a offensive wizard play-calling at work in McVay.

Can we lock this guy up for 10 years contractually?

Can you imagine how good he's going to be after he learns even more and has a couple failures that he can learn from as well?

RAMBUSH

Starter
True, but proper play action needs to be set up with the threat of a running game.

I think we now have that threat :D
Oh baby , do we ever have a threat ! My kool-aid jug is overflowing . I just hope our guys dont start kneeling for our anthem.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Truthfully I think it's hilarious that people overreact either way;

People like Trump freaking out and cussing because somebody wants to have their American right and protest,
and even the people that protest because of their misguided reasoning.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Oh baby , do we ever have a threat ! My kool-aid jug is overflowing . I just hope our guys dont start kneeling for our anthem.
Tavon looked okay out of the backfield and Gurley looks like he has his mojo back.
It is really good to see thay Malcolm Brown is much more physical than his draft assessments stated.
I am really intrigued by Justin Davis however as you can see his effort, speed and I love the way that even when he's eluding a tackler he is moving forward.
Tavon still thinks he's in college and he's going to dance around and make people miss him, even if he's going sideways or taking a few steps back, but defensive players are a lot faster in the NFL and Justin Davis already seems to have that part figured out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Truthfully I think it's hilarious that people overreact either way;

People like Trump freaking out and cussing because somebody wants to have their American right and protest,
and even the people that protest because of their misguided reasoning.
" Let's be careful here, and not let this drift into some sort of Political discussion!! Keep Politics OUT of Football and Off this Forum!!"

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
" Let's be careful here, and not let this drift into some sort of Political discussion!! Keep Politics OUT of Football and Off this Forum!!"
I didn't bring it up bro and I think both extremes are equally a little silly so not sure if it qualifies as politics.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I didn't bring it up bro and I think both extremes are equally a little silly so not sure if it qualifies as politics.
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was picking on you! I was just, generally advising everyone, to please not let the conversation drift into Politics!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was picking on you! I was just, generally advising everyone, to please not let the conversation drift into Politics!
Great advice and I agree.
I guess I shouldn't post while I'm watching Face the Nation. :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
On a Rams football related note;

I am the glad that the Rams have over a week to get pass this huge distraction.

There are going to be some players out there that are both distracted and angry.
Not a good combination to be playing in.

Ram65

Legend
After watching three ram games, I think that the Rams offensive scheme should call for more play action formations rather than the sit in the pocket approach. Play action opens up the offense to more
creative plays and allows Goff to freeze the defense with his decision as to whether to pass or run. Another observation....what ever happened to the technique whereby the quarterback hides the ball as he fakes a handoff....I think it is an art lost

I think the Rams have used it effectively. It's not something I count. They use it on the Goff bootleg plays and a couple others. Against teams with a good pass rush it can slow down getting the pass out. Also the Goff would turn his back to the defense and take longer to pick up his targets. You have to be aware of down and distance to. No sense on 3rd down and 3-4 yards to do play action. Rams had a number of those in this week's game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FegNVbIGwIc

pididdy

UDFA
Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just remember Eric Dickerson and how the Rams lined up. I believe it was play action with Eric 10 yards behind the quarterback. I know it was a different offensive scheme then our current one (e.g. west coast)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Another observation....what ever happened to the technique whereby the quarterback hides the ball as he fakes a handoff....I think it is an art lost

Definitely not a lost art for Aaron Rodgers. He used it twice to perfection this weekend. Once for a TD and once for a huge gain.

Having said that, I bet he doesn't use it at all the following week. It is a dangerous play for ball security since the QB usually has to hold the ball in an awkward position and have his back to the rush. If the defense reads it, the QB is getting blown up and probably fumbling.

Psycho_X

Legend
You could consider the many fake jet sweeps to Tavon Austin as a quasi-play action play as well. The offense is doing a lot of things to make the defense never quite know what the offense is going to do. The number 1 thing missing from the previous years. Unpredictability. And it works. Just ask Todd Gurley as defenses have focused less and less on him over the first three games.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Haven't looked up the numbers but the Rams have been using the F out of play action and I'm sure are among the league leaders. But it's not enough?

You do realize that there are things that play action limit, right? Like Gurley in the pass game. And Gurley's been a very strong element in the pass game with a lot of targets and key receptions for us.

Oh and we're also one of the highest scoring offenses in the league atm. I think we're in good hands man!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could consider the many fake jet sweeps to Tavon Austin as a quasi-play action play as well.

This is true also but I don't think teams are all that concerned with Tavon any more. If you watch the defensive reactions it's pretty muted, which is why it was good to see McVay actually give Tavon the ball late in the game.

But I think Tavon's overall performance has ensured he's an afterthought for defenses now. They're worried about Gurley>Watkins>Woods>Kupp>TEs now at this point all more than him.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
This is true also but I don't think teams are all that concerned with Tavon any more. If you watch the defensive reactions it's pretty muted, which is why it was good to see McVay actually give Tavon the ball late in the game.

But I think Tavon's overall performance has ensured he's an afterthought for defenses now. They're worried about Gurley>Watkins>Woods>Kupp>TEs now at this point all more than him.
which is why it is time to use him. He has break away capability and defenses need to be reminded of that. I think if the he can practice he will be a bigger part of the offense. If the knock on head keeps him out of practice, then in might be a couple of more weeks. The time he missed is killing him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
which is why it is time to use him. He has break away capability and defenses need to be reminded of that. I think if the he can practice he will be a bigger part of the offense. If the knock on head keeps him out of practice, then in might be a couple of more weeks. The time he missed is killing him.

Yeah you and I are pretty far apart on that one lol. I think it's time to trade him but wtf do I know. Nothing apparently.