Plano-based Dr Pepper close to deal with St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
dome.jpg

Dr Pepper is close to a deal to become the official soft drink provider at 64,000-seat Edward Jones Dome.

By KAREN ROBINSON-JACOBS
Staff Writer krjacobs@dallasnews.com
Published: 30 July 2013 08:20 PM

In the next few days, Plano-based Dr Pepper Snapple Group is expected to become the official soft-drink partner at the 64,000-seat Edward Jones Dome, home of the St. Louis Rams.

Bob Reif, chief marketing officer for the NFC West team, said the “ink is not yet dry [but] obviously we believe it’s going to happen.”

This marks Dr Pepper’s second exclusive soft-drink deal in the National Football League. In April 2012, the nation’s third-largest soda maker said it had signed a seven-year marketing agreement with the Chicago Bears to be the exclusive provider of sodas and other nonalcoholic drinks at Soldier Field.

The maker of drinks sold under brands ranging from Canada Dry to Hawaiian Punch is “an official beverage partner” of the Dallas Cowboys, but that is not an exclusive relationship.

Reif said Dr Pepper Snapple Group would be the “official carbonated soft drink provider” for the Rams, selling several lines including Dr Pepper, 7Up and Snapple. Rams facts will be printed under the caps of Snapple products.

The deal also includes Deja Blue water, which will be rebranded in the St. Louis area to include a gold cap with the Rams’ blue colors.

“Really, the cornerstone of this deal is that the Rams’ logos are going to be on over 5 million cans and bottles starting this fall,” Reif said. “That’s activation that our brand has not seen in a very long time.”

He declined to reveal financial terms. Dr Pepper declined to comment until the deal is official.

Dr Pepper takes over for PepsiCo, the parent of Plano-based Frito-Lay. The PepsiCo contract expired at the end of the 2012 season. As the contract was winding down, the Rams began talks with Dr Pepper as well as Coke and Pepsi, Reif said.

Dr Pepper is smaller than both Coke and Pepsi, but “I will say … they bring all their assets to bear. Dr Pepper far and away brought more to the table,” Reif said.

“We couldn’t spend the amount of money in marketing that Dr Pepper is able to do.”

The Rams’ deal comes with a certain level of mystery. Earlier this month the city of St. Louis said no thanks to a proposal that would have poured $700 million in public financing into stadium upgrades at the Edward Jones Dome, according to published reports.

The Rams now have the right to break their stadium lease and go elsewhere after the 2014 season, the reports said.

Reif declined to comment on how the Dr Pepper contract deals with that possibility.

He said Dr Pepper has the second-largest market share in St. Louis behind PepsiCo. Over the next five years he sees the company reaching No. 1.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I find this very encouraging as a Rams fan from the St. Louis area. News like this in combination with the organizations efforts to boost advertising and marketing to surrounding states, a rise in fan interest and a team on the rise can only help the prospects of the team staying. The details of the contract would probably reveal much more information as far as a the length of the contract, etc. But I doubt we ever see those. Thanks for the post!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
mr.stlouis said:
Sooo... what does it mean in the long run?
It means we can go the distance if our love is a strong one :tooth:

V3

Hall of Fame
mr.stlouis said:

It means our future new stadium will be called the DP Dome! :cheese:

Visiting teams will have to have a check up from the Doctor when they play the Rams.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
V3 said:
mr.stlouis said:

Visiting teams will have to have a check up from the Doctor when they play the Rams.

You using your whole hand Doc???

Moon River.....

V3

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:
V3 said:
mr.stlouis said:

You using your whole hand Doc???

Moon River.....

Nah, just 3 fingers. :ww:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Boooooooo!

Coca Cola should be the only soda in sports venues. The only time I'll drink a original Coca Cola is at a baseball game. I get pissed when I go see a game and the pouring rights were sold to Pepsi.

Not as big of a deal in football, where my drink of choice is beer, but still........

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dr Pepper SMOKES Coke and Pepsi.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I hate Dr. Pepper, but mostly just because it's from TX.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Dr Pepper SMOKES Coke and Pepsi.
About 6 years ago I lost my sense of smell due to some strange virus (I wasn't aware it had happened for a few weeks, so the doctor never could pin-point how). My farts stopped stinking (still don't). After a few months it began to come back, but the new sense messed with my taste buds. Particularly with processed sugars. Coke doesn't taste the way I remember. But Dr Pepper does.

True story.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If you've never had one of these... it's a flaming shot of Amaretto (I think) and 151 dropped into a beer. Tastes like Dr Pepper. You're supposed to chug it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmwBKLYGQ4[/youtube]

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ReddingRam said:
It means you better start drinking Dr.Pepper .. and LOTS of it! ;)

I have been for years. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Dr. Pepper.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
mojorizen7 said:
Dr Pepper and Capt Morgan spiced rum...it rocks.

Ever had Capt Morgan and Mountain Dew? It tastes like cream soda.