Pittsburgh Steelers and Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Not if he’s an rb.
I’m not saying Tavon isn’t replaceable. They can replace him. I’m just not having an rb run a jet sweep
RB or WO, call him what you will, but if he runs the route it's all the same, he just has to be able to catch a pass
train

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RB or WO, call him what you will, but if he runs the route it's all the same, he just has to be able to catch a pass
train
We’re beating a dead horse here. All I’m saying is that if they are gonna run the jet sweep in Tavon abscence, it will be with a wr who learns the play as opposed to having an rb learn wr routes as a decoy for when he gets to run the jet sweep

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 22 targets he got as a WR, for an average of 3.6 yards per catch, is not going to keep on providing decoys. They're going to need him to actually produce as a WR, or find somebody who functions as a decoy.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
if they are gonna run the jet sweep in Tavon abscence, it will be with a wr who learns the play as opposed to having an rb learn wr routes as a decoy for when he gets to run the jet sweep

Who's on first? What's on second?

Flint

Pro Bowler
I don’t remember seeing the sweep motion against the Falcons, their lbs were getting penetration and flying all over. The argument is that TA is faster and more elusive and that Cooper isn’t the same threat but PC is pretty good in the open field. The bottom line is the idea of TA is better than the reality, are you going to give him some of Kupp’s targets so he can play the slot, maybe let him take Watkins spot or maybe let him return kicks. He’s definitely not as good as the guys we have now but is he so much better at the sweep that we can’t find anyone else?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@dieterbrock Tavon was more running back in last year than he was receiver. Why couldn't a pass catching speed back do what Tavon did last year? Most of the time when he was on the field defenses looked for the sweep, because they didn't fear him as a pass catcher. A true pass catching RB or TE could run that play just as effectively.

nighttrain

Legend
True but we are only speaking of 3 million here. Plus you get to use the draft pick on another needed position. Now you know I think that TA has no real NFL football intelligence in him but I am trying to look at this at every angle. Right now it reported that Sammy & the Rams are talking....TA is still here but hanging on the high wire act infront of the entire NFL both of these WR's are riding this high @ the moment. Rams may not want to loose both of these WR's @ the same time from this offense.
if we dont keep Watkins, i still think we should off load Tavon and go with Reynolds
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A late addition that I should have quoted.

All you have to do is watch the Dallas play where Gurley scored the go ahead TD. A LB and a DB both adjusted and that was the difference.

Austin worries defenses when he has the ball. Plenty of times he gets too cute and doesn't do much. But he is a threat to score from anywhere as a WR or RB.

How was that inappropriate?

@CGI_Ram ?

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
It’s sad really, I was a huge advocate for Tavon (not proud of that). I truly Thought he could be a game changer for a team who simply had no playmakers whatsoever. He’s shown flashes but nothing consistent which Is one of the most important qualities for a professional athlete. I wish him well in the future as long as he isn’t playing us of course.

I think Cooper could fill his role though, Cooper is a better receiver in my opinion, just not as fast. He is quite quick though as shown on KR and PR. Get him in the open field and he can do some damage, plus he isn’t afraid to run through someone either, which I love.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@dieterbrock Tavon was more running back in last year than he was receiver. Why couldn't a pass catching speed back do what Tavon did last year? Most of the time when he was on the field defenses looked for the sweep, because they didn't fear him as a pass catcher. A true pass catching RB or TE could run that play just as effectively.
Jet sweep is only working with a player going in motion. And IMO sending an RB in motion from flanker spot who doesn't run routes kind of defeats the purpose of the jet sweep.
There are hybrid player types who run the jet sweep who can fill both roles, TA, Percy Harvin, Corradelle Patterson and Brandon Cooks come to mind, but they are primarily WR.
I'm not saying we cant fill Austin's role with an RB, I was merely stating that the Jet sweep in its purest form is typically run by a WR

WestCoastRam

Legend
I really liked how Austin looked at receiver in the 49ers game at the end of the season. He really showed me that he'll contribute for another team when we cut him.

That boy can't catch a pass to save his life. Aside from that, he seems like a nice dude.