Pittsburgh Steelers and Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
that ghost motion is only going to continue to work if the threat is real, Cooper has the speed to get the corner.

Austin originally ran a 4.25 that was adjusted to 4.34. Cooper has a 40 time of 4.63. He is no speed demon.

The threat IS real, and that's why it worked so many times and all year long. Defenses know they have to account for him or it's probably going to be a big play or TD, especially with how well the WR's block downfield.

Watch the plays on Gurley highlights and ignore everything except how the defense flows with Austin leaving room for Gurley on the opposite side.

Watch the Gurley TD that gave the Rams the lead in the Cowboys game. With the motion by Austin that play doesn't happen. He moved two guys out of the way and Gurley had a perfect space to run into.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think with his ability to return kicks and punts that there is plenty of evidence that Cooper is elusive and capable of breaking tackles. Everett can do the same it may not be the same speed threat it will still be a threat that teams have to respect.

Austin originally ran a 4.25 that was adjusted to 4.34. Cooper has a 40 time of 4.63. He is no speed demon.

The threat IS real, and that's why it worked so many times and all year long. Defenses know they have to account for him or it's probably going to be a big play or TD, especially with how well the WR's block downfield.

Watch the plays on Gurley highlights and ignore everything except how the defense flows with Austin leaving room for Gurley on the opposite side.

Watch the Gurley TD that gave the Rams the lead in the Cowboys game. With the motion by Austin that play doesn't happen. He moved two guys out of the way and Gurley had a perfect space to run into.

The ability to be elusive and break tackles is enough to make the jet sweep a formidable weapon that defenses have to respect. Both Everett and Cooper were good after the catch in college. Either could run the Jet sweep, or a similar play and draw attention from Gurley. If they get a hand on either they aren’t likely to fall over unlike Austin.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Once again he DID use Tavon, not the way we would all like to see, meaning lots of yards and some TD's. But the Jet Sweep play helped win games by allowing Gurley to run free in many instances.

I disagree that decoy is adequate involvement for someone who could supposedly be such a weapon. With that being said, that role for Tavon diminished down the stretch, too.

fearsomefour

Legend
Forgot about that.
Yes.
It's easy to forget because it's so mindnumbing.
It was ok though because old Brooks had a plan and knew the college game....the draft that was going to turn it all around Phillips, Banks, Kennison was a Brooks abortion.
A pox upon him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yes.
It's easy to forget because it's so mindnumbing.
It was ok though because old Brooks had a plan and knew the college game....the draft that was going to turn it all around Phillips, Banks, Kennison was a Brooks abortion.
A pox upon him.
Yeah - I had high hopes for him coming out of Oregon but alas.... 'twas not to be.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Couldnt Justin Davis be used for the jet sweep? If his ball security from early last preseason is no longer an issue, he looked pretty quick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Couldnt Justin Davis be used for the jet sweep? If his ball security from early last preseason is no longer an issue, he looked pretty quick.
Not a guy we talk about much, but he does have some burst doesn't he

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The good news is that I have faith that McVay will get the best out of whichever guys we have on O.

Th one word they use that I live is “intentional”.

They function with purpose, focus and direction.

So I will miss Sammy, but thankfully we still have McVay.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Austin and a 4th for Bryant???? He wants out of there has said it many times. Or maybe a 3rd?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

They didn’t use him in that role last year. They did use Everett that way a few times. Having a speedster is not the only way to use a decoy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I disagree that decoy is adequate involvement for someone who could supposedly be such a weapon. With that being said, that role for Tavon diminished down the stretch, too.

I'm not saying he was used adequately and I would have liked to have seen more production out of him. But he does enough for this O that I'd keep him for another year to reduce pressure on the O and in particular Goff.

Nobody else has the ability to hit the edge, cut and make a DB or LB miss leaving a waterbug with lightning speed in open field.

There are only a few guys in the NFL like that, he's one of them.

A couple to a handful of big plays each game came from that formation. Not to mention a lot of first downs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

A late addition that I should have quoted.

All you have to do is watch the Dallas play where Gurley scored the go ahead TD. A LB and a DB both adjusted and that was the difference.

Austin worries defenses when he has the ball. Plenty of times he gets too cute and doesn't do much. But he is a threat to score from anywhere as a WR or RB.