Pittsburgh Steelers and Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The article states that the Jets, Ravens and Texans are interested in Tavon as well. With several teams interested, the Rams might be able to pull off a TA trade despite his ridiculous salary.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
The article states that the Jets, Ravens and Texans are interested in Tavon as well. With several teams interested, the Rams might be able to pull off a TA trade despite his ridiculous salary.
Hopefully something can get done. Trading him would be ideal over flat out releasing him. I can not imagine they get much of anything. Maybe a 6th or 7th rounder.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams are going to release him, I don't know what they are waiting for.
That said, if Talib is only worth a 5th rounder, I'm not sure how Austin is worth anything more than an 8th rounder....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It would be great to unload his salary AND get a draft pick. I can't imagine that happening though unless we agree to pay some of that salary. Maybe $4M out and a 6th in?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Aren't we still on the hook for half is salary this year? If that is true I doubt we cut him outright unless we find a suitable trade partner

Ram65

Legend
It would cost the Steelers or any other team 3 million for the first year with Austin. Who knows a change of scenery could help. If Tavon can practice his punt catching he can still be effective returner. Get what you can.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This isn't the first article that says that Tavon has had contact with other teams, despite not being formally released yet. Did they give him and his agent permission to have such contact - if not, why isn't it tampering?

If they are letting have feelers, but haven't released him, I'm wondering if they are trying to find some team where the Rams will eat the roster bonus (which I think they'll be responsible for if they cut him), and the other team gets the $3 million salary, in exchange for a low draft pick, maybe a future one.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would trade a 6th and Austin for a 5 in a heart beat

WestCoastRam

Legend
This isn't the first article that says that Tavon has had contact with other teams, despite not being formally released yet. Did they give him and his agent permission to have such contact - if not, why isn't it tampering?

If they are letting have feelers, but haven't released him, I'm wondering if they are trying to find some team where the Rams will eat the roster bonus (which I think they'll be responsible for if they cut him), and the other team gets the $3 million salary, in exchange for a low draft pick, maybe a future one.

Basically this is the "illegal legal tampering" period. What I mean by that is that it is tampering and it's nearly impossible to prove. People have been talking to agents since before the combine and at the combine. It's all an open secret.

Take a look at this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/22/free-agent-tampering-period-agents-players-mmqb

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Not really surprising that Pittsburgh and Baltimore would be interested. Both of those cities remember him, remember him very well. He grew up in B-more and Pitt is not far from WV which is a big college football rivalry.

jap

Legend
The Horns openly let it be known that our Little Big Man won't be returning. So teams who are interested in Tavon know that as long as they have competition for his services from other squads they will probably have to pony up some value to guarantee they get him. Nice ploy for the Horns war room to gain extra picks for when they need to slide up or down the draft board to gain the draft targets they want.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hopefully something can get done. Trading him would be ideal over flat out releasing him. I can not imagine they get much of anything. Maybe a 6th or 7th rounder.
At this point in time I think Tavon will get released, no one will want his contract, What is the "Hit' to our Cap if we release him by Monday!!?!