Picturing Steven Jackson with the Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... m#comments

The visual might make St. Louis fans cringe, but running back Steven Jackson might fit nicely in New England if his Rams career ends following the 2012 season.

Take a deep breath, Rams fans. Jackson isn't going anywhere yet.

But the thought of him in a New England uniform next season came to mind Thursday upon reading through comments from Patriots coach Bill Belichick. The comments reflected a deep appreciation for Jackson's receiving skills. They brought together in my mind a set of circumstances to consider as Jackson and the Rams prepare to face the Patriots in London.

[wrapimg=right]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9333/cef8e338fa6f44399a96a13.png[/wrapimg]Jackson, still seeking his first winning season in the NFL, has said he wants to finish his career with the Rams. It's also clear he might not fit into the team's plans as prominently while the organization continues to rebuild through the draft under new leadership.

Unable to agree on a contract extension, Jackson recently negotiated into his contract an opt-out clause following the 2012 season. That clause would allow him to seek an opportunity with a team that might be a little closer to contending for a championship. A team like the Patriots. Otherwise, Jackson would be scheduled to earn $7 million in 2013.

New England has a history of using older running backs under Belichick. Kevin Faulk, Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon, Sammy Morris, Antowain Smith and LaMont Jordan were all in their 30s when they played for New England over the past decade or so.

Jackson, 29, already knows the Patriots' offense. He played in Josh McDaniels' offense last season, before McDaniels left the Rams to coordinate the Patriots' offense. The Rams' 2011 season did not go as planned, but Jackson did like the way McDaniels' offense could, at its best, feature him as more than just a power runner. He was looking forward to running routes normally reserved for wideouts.

"That’s definitely part of my game that I've been missing the last couple of seasons," Jackson told reporters before the 2011 season. "I'm looking forward to having that challenge, proving to the rest of the league that I’m more than just a downhill, first- and second-down kind of running back. I think if anyone could help me re-establish myself as a franchise back, an all-around back, I think Josh will do that."

As noted, Belichick likes that part of Jackson's game as well.

"He has the quickness to be elusive on the second level, avoid guys, and he’s also got the power to put his shoulder down and run through guys," Belichick told reporters covering the Patriots this week. "He's a hard guy to tackle. As I said, his production in the passing game is very good too. Not just screens, but actual route running, going out there, getting open, beating linebackers and he’s a great target for the quarterback to throw to."

Belichick said he spent a full day with Jackson before the 2004 draft. The two got together in Las Vegas, where Jackson played high school football. Belichick said that was more convenient at the time than meeting at Oregon State, where Jackson played in college.

"He's a very impressive individual," Belichick said. "Obviously a big, strong kid that runs well, that catches the ball very well, very good in the passing game; I think he’s probably a little underrated in that area. Good in blitz pickup, smart guy, he’s really had an outstanding career. He definitely was a guy that we were very much interested in."

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Gotta disagree with Sando. While a move to NE might make sense for SJ because of his desire to win and the offensive scheme, it doesnt make sense for the Patriots. The Patriots have a stable of good, young RBs with Ridley, Vereen, and Boldin. Not to mention Woodhead who can line up anywhere. It would be foolish of them to pay SJ above what he would be offered elsewhere and give up on some of the young talent.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
interference said:
This is NOT an image that I want in my brain.

Yes, quite -- had to visualize the Krispy Kreme girls on a trampoline in order to get that other visual out of my head.

:sick:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
In the event SJ voids that final year or it is NOW voided ( there are conflicting reports) in EITHER event,here are things I think will factor into where SJ finishes his career:
1. I don't believe money will be SJ's prime motivator, going to a team capable of winning it all within three years will be which does not preclude the Rams

2. It is quite unlikely anyone is going to make him their feature back so additional playing time won't be an issue.

3. SJ has voiced his affinity for being a player who came played and stayed to build contributed to the building and not just walked into a good situation.

4. The Pats current RB situation is settled enough SJ would be a role player and so he may as well accept a role here.

5.He has all that Ram gear

6. I have threatened to hold my breath and pound the floor if he does leave

7. After Sunday he will realize the Pats are not the Pats of old and leaving now will be getting off a young promising horse to board one headed for the glue factory.

8. Boston is a notoriously racist city

9. It will contribute to global warming

10. If he does, his sister will never be happy cuz Gisele Bundchen will dis on his sis.

10a.SJ hates the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia ties

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Smell it!

Jhd5.jpeg

:sick:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They look alike right there though, don't they? Same number, same hair.
Jax is definitely bigger, but it doesn't translate in that picture.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
They look alike right there though, don't they? Same number, same hair.
Jax is definitely bigger, but it doesn't translate in that picture.
Yeah it's freaky, IMO IF someone overpays to grab SJ it'll be the 'Skins.
They have money BK they don't have 1st round choices, wouldn't THAT BITE THE BIG ONE? ,they steal SJ and Amendola with the money they save from the trade :nono:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pfft. Doesn't matter what they do, they'll be cursed for as long as Snyder is there.

Curse of the Hambino.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
This is Bullshit!! Steven Jackson is not going anywhere!

GO RAMS!!!!