Pick a 2016 QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want as the Rams 2016 starting QB?

• Nick Foles

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Case Keenum

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Sean Mannion

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • 1st Round Rookie (Connor Cook?)

Votes: 52 40.9%
  • 2nd Round Rookie (Jacoby Brissett? Cardale Jones? Christian Hackenberg?)

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Sam Bradford

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Robert Griffin

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Colin Kaepernick

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Trade (Geno Smith? EJ Manuel?)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other (Please Note)

Votes: 18 14.2%

• Total voters

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yet Fitzpatrick is the starter
Fitzpatrick came out of the gate on fire when Geno was hurt, and you don't bench a guy who's playing well. And Fitz just had surgery on his non-throwing thumb, so that may no longer be the case.
Do you think Fitzpatrick would have started had Geno not gotten his jaw broken?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
See it throw it QB with a bad attitude and poor lower body mechanics. No thanks.
I can't speak to his attitude, just the numbers he put up in a mediocre offense.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Lynch
Goff.

That's it. We'll never go anywhere as a team without a real QB.
To be fair, before the CFB season started, you would have likely said "Hackenberg. Cook. That's it."

I'm always suspicious of draft-year fast risers at QB and intrigued by draft-year guys who struggle. 'Course, I'm usually wrong... see Tajh Boyd for a prime example.

Athos

Legend
To be fair, before the CFB season started, you would have likely said "Hackenberg. Cook. That's it."

Nope. Never a fan of Hackenberger. Cook's penchant for ugly passes is annoying.

FrankenRam

Starter
Foles might be back because there's very little gained by cutting him...but he has no business playing next year. And I'm not passing on a talented QB prospect because of what Mannion might be. If Mannion is great, awesome. He'll compete and win the job. If not, we have a talented young QB prospect to develop. As far as I'm concerned, Foles is either cut or a backup next year.

What I really don't get about Foles is....what the heck has happened to him since the 27/2 '13 rookie season? Unless he's ingesting some serious mind altering substances, how does an NFL QB who showed so much promise in his rookie season regress as much as it appears he has.

Based on recent performances, I am inclined to agree with your assessment. But it all revolves around who might be available either by trade or via the draft. I just don't see any good options via trade (what team is going to trade a good QB?!?!?) And unless the team seriously tanks the rest of this season, I don't see how they'll be in position to draft one of the top ranked QB's coming out.....at least not w/o expending some serious draft capital. All of which is a long winded way of saying......don't be too surprised if NF is back next year competing for the starting job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I really don't get about Foles is....what the heck has happened to him since the 27/2 '13 rookie season? Unless he's ingesting some serious mind altering substances, how does an NFL QB who showed so much promise in his rookie season regress as much as it appears he has.

Based on recent performances, I am inclined to agree with your assessment. But it all revolves around who might be available either by trade or via the draft. I just don't see any good options via trade (what team is going to trade a good QB?!?!?) And unless the team seriously tanks the rest of this season, I don't see how they'll be in position to draft one of the top ranked QB's coming out.....at least not w/o expending some serious draft capital. All of which is a long winded way of saying......don't be too surprised if NF is back next year competing for the starting job.

There might be some options available for trade. Matt Stafford and Mike Glennon are two guys I'd keep my eye on. Obviously, Stafford will cost a lot more than Glennon in terms of compensation (both trade and contract). I think Glennon can play the game manager role more effectively than Foles did until we get our QB of the future ready to play. Stafford would be brought in to be the starter here.

Kaepernick is an option in FA if there's nothing better. I think he can manage the game and use his legs to help our offense do enough with the right OC.

I will be surprised if he is. And dismayed. And very strongly considering finding a new team to root for.

As for Foles's big year, it was his second year. As a rookie, he put up mediocre stats in Reid's system. What happened? He's been exposed for who he is. Chip Kelly's offense was new to the NFL that year and it took teams awhile to catch up. Foles had arguably the best supporting cast in football that year with an offense NFL teams weren't ready for and had a lot of lucky bounces go his way.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
U of O hasn't been playing like I'd like
Too soon 503....Damn they looked good Saturday....Guess that guys finger was really broken....Man that offense...
Trust me guys C. Hakenburgh has all the skills we need to be better than Bridgewater. We will be VERY happy if we can get him and he will be more mobile than many here are aware of. Proper coaching will be key
I kinda am coming around to a couple of throwers that are under my 60% cutoff...He throw's a bunch of deep routes, is big as a horse, and has been under pressure for 2 straight years....I'd take him...but after Cook & Goff
He got a ton of hype after his freshman year (and coming out of HS) and he's looked dreadful since. I watch a ton of CFB. This kid is a mess. If there are two things I am unwilling to risk it with on QB prospects, it's poor pocket presence and inaccuracy. Those are Hackenberg's two biggest issues.
The main problem I have with the Hack...inaccurate...but numbers don't tell the whole story...He has a bunch of drops involved too...I say he's worth a 2nd even...or a late 1st

Goff is who we hope for....Cook would be a nice consolation prize....Lynch is from that small school thingy that says we need to sit him and try Mannion....

There are 3 other QB's that need to be looked at, and drafted....And YES jrry, I'm keeping Brisett in the mix...can run, and cannon for an arm...Like that dude at Indiana too.

I had to look at a few of these guys b4 I commented...Still need to see a bunch more...I like bowl games and combine stuff....I'm shallow like that...Size matters.
Goff better start drinking some protein shakes...
https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-goff-is-the-best-qb-prospect-in-the-country/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/05/why-cals-jared-goff-is-our-no-1-qb/

but seriously, the dude can play...I know yall know I look at PFF with skepticism....but even a broken clock is right twice a day....LOL

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda am coming around to a couple of throwers that are under my 60% cutoff...He throw's a bunch of deep routes, is big as a horse, and has been under pressure for 2 straight years....I'd take him...but after Cook & Goff
The main problem I have with the Hack...inaccurate...but numbers don't tell the whole story...He has a bunch of drops involved too...I say he's worth a 2nd even...or a late 1st

Keep Sackenberg away from this team. He's like Blaine Gabbert. Has all the tools in shorts and a t-shirt...but lacks the ability in game action.

The kid is a lottery ticket. I'm not taking the risk that comes with him in the first 4 rounds.

Schmitzer

UDFA
I'm always suspicious of draft-year fast risers at QB

Me too - especially when the experts talk about all the measurables - Height, Weight, 40 time, vertical jump, and "can make all the throws". Even TD/Interception stats. All that matters is the tape: Can he find the open man and get the ball to him quickly and accurately.

fearsomefour

Legend
Fitzpatrick came out of the gate on fire when Geno was hurt, and you don't bench a guy who's playing well. And Fitz just had surgery on his non-throwing thumb, so that may no longer be the case.
Do you think Fitzpatrick would have started had Geno not gotten his jaw broken?
Yes.
Geno is terrible. He would have played himself out of that role I think. Fitzpatrick is better than anyone on the list you provided in my opinion.
If he becomes a FA I am grabbing him....whether the Jets let that happen or not who knows?

fearsomefour

Legend
There might be some options available for trade. Matt Stafford and Mike Glennon are two guys I'd keep my eye on. Obviously, Stafford will cost a lot more than Glennon in terms of compensation (both trade and contract). I think Glennon can play the game manager role more effectively than Foles did until we get our QB of the future ready to play. Stafford would be brought in to be the starter here.

Kaepernick is an option in FA if there's nothing better. I think he can manage the game and use his legs to help our offense do enough with the right OC.

I will be surprised if he is. And dismayed. And very strongly considering finding a new team to root for.

As for Foles's big year, it was his second year. As a rookie, he put up mediocre stats in Reid's system. What happened? He's been exposed for who he is. Chip Kelly's offense was new to the NFL that year and it took teams awhile to catch up. Foles had arguably the best supporting cast in football that year with an offense NFL teams weren't ready for and had a lot of lucky bounces go his way.
Glennon is an interesting possibility, not a terribly exciting, but sort of interesting. Stafford would be the number one guy for everyone if he comes available and would cost a ton of money. Getting him would mean making decisions about who to keep on D....is that worth it? Probably.
Your take on Foles is 100% dead on. Add in the fact that a lot of the throws, WR screens, RB screens and dumps and others are predetermined throws, no reading involved really and you have Foles magic season. The 2 Int stat is misleading in that there were a lot of dropped pics that year. So it goes. I didn't like the trade (although I understand the reason for it) because of watching Foles and seeing him create pressure and miss open receivers the last two years in Philly. I was hoping a run first approach would help. My concern is the coaches ability to evaluate the position really. The stark reality of trying to find a starting QB in the NFL is probably this for next year....
Same cast as this year or Keenum stays with Mannion and Foles is replaced by a lower cost vet (Glennon/Fitzpatrick) in an open QB competition. Thats about it. If the Rams draft a rookie and start him you are basically closing the window in my opinion on trying to win with this current defense.
Kap could be interesting if he was willing to sit for a bit. I don't he will be and someone will want to sign him up. Very well the Eagles if Chip is still there.
So, the big questions to me between now and FA and the draft is....is Foles salvageable? Does Mannion have a shot at developing into a starting NFL QB? Is Keenum a good enough back up?
With Mannion who knows? With Keenum, yes, I think he is a solid #2 (insert jokes here), Foles, I would move on although I think there is a real chance he stays. My target would be Fitzpatrick as a bridge QB. He shouldn't cost a fortune, can make plays and manage a game. He is the kind of vet pocket passer than could really benefit from a strong run game and make teams pay for over playing the run. As for the draft if the team has bought in Mannion Im not draft a QB. A rookie QB does nothing to help win now (more than likely unless there is "that guy" in this draft and Rams give up a bunch to get him) and is a crap shoot at best long term. If the team isn't sold on Mannion then I am bringing in Phillip Sims from Arizona's practice squad and draft a QB to try and develop one of them into a future starter.

nighttrain

Legend
I not that high on presscott. Maybe cordel jones would bring the. Same thing than we wouldn't have to look at kraprrnickmm.
Perhaps this Draft isn't the best to go after a QB? maybe next year better, I'd hate to waste a 1st on a guy that isn't going to make a difference
train

nighttrain

Legend
Yes.
Geno is terrible. He would have played himself out of that role I think. Fitzpatrick is better than anyone on the list you provided in my opinion.
If he becomes a FA I am grabbing him....whether the Jets let that happen or not who knows?
Love to have Fitz next year. sign him for three and draft a QB
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams draft a rookie and start him you are basically closing the window in my opinion on trying to win with this current defense.

I have to disagree. With our running game and defense, we don't need a rookie to do a lot. Just manage the game and make the throws that are there. Look at what Ben Roethlisberger did for Pittsburgh in a similar role as a rookie. Look at Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan. You draft the right guy and they can do enough for us to win.

Kap could be interesting if he was willing to sit for a bit. I don't he will be and someone will want to sign him up. Very well the Eagles if Chip is still there.

I'm not advocating for Kaepernick to sit him. He is what he is at this point. You sign him and tell him to be who he is. Manage the game, use his legs to add another dimension to the run game, and try not to make too many bad decisions. Basically...what he did in SF prior to this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps this Draft isn't the best to go after a QB? maybe next year better, I'd hate to waste a 1st on a guy that isn't going to make a difference
train

This is definitely a good year to go after a guy. There are 3-4 QBs worth looking at in Round 1. But neither Prescott nor Cardale are on that list. Both are mid round prospects.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Has all the tools in shorts and a t-shirt...but lacks the ability in game action.
Sounds a little Bradfordish.
I guess he is still intriguing on the very cheap but the one thing he doesn't do is manage the game well

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds a little Bradfordish.

I guess he is still intriguing on the very cheap but the one thing he doesn't do is manage the game well

More Gabbertish...less accuracy than Bradford.

Kaepernick is solid limiting turnovers. He's only thrown 26 picks in 47 starts.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@jrry32 if you include the 19 fumbles and 850+ yds lost on sacks coupled with the bad decisions and poor throws when he has abandoned the system he is a major concern in the management department.
. I agree that there is plenty to work with just not in a Ram Uni