Pick a 2016 QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want as the Rams 2016 starting QB?

• Nick Foles

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Case Keenum

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Sean Mannion

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • 1st Round Rookie (Connor Cook?)

Votes: 52 40.9%
  • 2nd Round Rookie (Jacoby Brissett? Cardale Jones? Christian Hackenberg?)

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Sam Bradford

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Robert Griffin

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Colin Kaepernick

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Trade (Geno Smith? EJ Manuel?)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other (Please Note)

Votes: 18 14.2%

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I want a first round QB. If they have to trade up to get the desired value so be it. If they have to trade down and reach for a guy who should go in the second round to ensure they get the guy they like so be it. But they need to bring in some more fresh blood and let him compete with Mannion.

Also, if you don't have a good offensive staff no QB you draft is going to get er done. So right now I don't have that feeling that this current regime can achieve success even if they trade up for a top prospect. We should know more by the end of this season after we see whether or not Cigs can get this offense going with a different QB or whether he's just not up to snuff.

All that aside when I look at these QBs I try to factor in some of the stuff around them too. Hackenberg for example is similar to Mannion was in his senior season where he is not set up for success; I think his value will end up being lower than it should be. Cook, meanwhile, is not asked to do too much but when they call upon him he does a very nice job of delivering. Goff has not had a great line in front of him but has demonstrated toughness and I love his delivery and touch on the ball. I think he will be the #1 overall pick no doubt in my mind barring injury. Lynch won't help anyone right away but his measurables are sick; Bortles is the obvious comparison but he reminds me also of Kaepernick a bit, very raw but talented. Wentz is another guy with good measurables but will need development, haven't seen too much of him though need to watch more of him. Then there's a bunch of guys who either come up short in height (Kessler comes to mind who I like aside from that), arm talent, pocket presence, etc.

The obvious fit for Jeff Fisher is Cook. He would be a very nice play action, game managing QB who can raise his game when needed. But if they bring in a guy like Asshole Face as head coach then by all means trade up for Goff if you can afford it, or consider a guy like Lynch who might develop at an acceptable speed under a regime that actually knows offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have had a really bad week starting with the loss Sunday, and as is my custom I usually find a way to make things worse before they get better. So with that in mind and fully aware of the ball busting I shall receive from my fellow ROD brothers, I would like to have Krapr nick. I still think he could be reclaimed. Could you imagine him running the read-option with Gurley and Tavon? I think it would work. With a better cast around him he took the niners to the sb and nfc championship his first two years. I think Fisher would be good for him. Just make him quit kissing his biceps and burn all his niner crap.

The prob with Colon Krapperdick is he doesn't bring anything more than you can get in the draft with a young run-centric QB. In this draft you could simply take Prescott who has fresher legs and who probably will be a better passer in the NFL. Oh and he's also a helluva lot cheaper.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I not that high on presscott. Maybe cordel jones would bring the. Same thing than we wouldn't have to look at kraprrnickmm.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Other, too early for me to vote.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Okay, I voted other. Probably take some heat for this one. Marquise Williams out of UNC. Think Cam Newton.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In order:
1a. Paxton Lynch
1b. Jared Goff
3. Connor Cook
4. Carson Wentz

But if Wentz has a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, I'll likely put him over Cook.(we'll see still working on my evaluations of all four)

Do not want Hackenberg, Cardale, or Brissett. They're all talented but far too risky and need too much development imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Christian Hackenburg won't be a favorite of many here that don't watch too much college football. I have followed a few college scouts who think he has the highest UPSIDE of all QB's possibly coming out. I think it will be a race to the top of second round to pick him up. We can cut Foles with only a 3.5 mill loss according to H.B.'s article just out today and Florio has no clue saying we are in for 6 Mill.

We will need another Offensive Coordinator that can actually work with a young QB as Fisher has a horrible history of such. Fisher may actually hinder getting a good hire at OC here if he is gonna sit on him or interfere as usual. I personally liked the Michigan State kid Cook but he has regressed this season to me and looks like a yonger Foles. UGH!

I personally don't want or think we would waste the picks to even TRY to get up and take Goff. He is not the next AR from Cal in my opinion. Guys he needs major work as does Hackenburgh but I think If we can just start Christian slow and he does all we were asking from Foles he WILL get better and Better in our "O" that will focus on Gurley anyway. He will be the most accurate and I really like his smarts and what he has been through and overcome.

We NEED every pick we have and that 2nd round pick from eagles will be huge. Shame we used our 4th rounder on Donnal last year. I'll give him an off season to bulk up and try to prove me wrong. Hoping getting Wichman reps this season will pay off in the long run. Even though he also needs some offseason healthy time to be at his best and in a major mix to battle for a starting OG spot next season.

We have so many NEEDS with our 1ST round pick and this 1st round will be very Deep not like last years draft and we may take BPA again as it will probably fit a major NEED we have going forward. WR ,DE, MLB , OLT ? , CB (depending on E.J. Gaines' recovery closely watched) . So we have needs in many spots that can grab a possible elite player in that position. That extra 2ND will be HUGE for us with our needs and who we resign to at least keep our "D" at a very HIGH level . and yet FINALLY have an offense that can week after week put up points.

I hate to say it but no matter what , I see Fisher getting another extension (5?) if he wants it. Fisher has NO Experience with building a Championship Offense. I think trying to stay relevant as we are not with the loafing I saw in last weeks game from a few. Lots need to be straightened out. GW got played . Need to find out what we have at the DE position that is key to the "D" we run with DT penetration. Then upgrading our LB play to playoff level. Hope we can resign our CB's & safety or move to Joyner at safety which scares me although I love Joyner.

Trust me guys C. Hakenburgh has all the skills we need to be better than Bridgewater. We will be VERY happy if we can get him and he will be more mobile than many here are aware of. Proper coaching will be key and Weinke would be fine with him. Don't waste a pick to move up for Wentz or use our 1st on Cook as he will probably fall to us when we can get another stud and our QBOTF in top of 2nd round. Maybe his WR first ? To many variables right now. Hate we are talking Draft in November ONCE AGAIN!

We may come out and crush the Ravens but don't get fooled men. This bunch with increasing injuries just is not ready . Sorry . Just making my pitch for Christian Hackenburgh and I have Zero ties or love for Penn State or the Big 10. I'm a SEC fan mostly as I see many 1st rounders coming from Bama & Ohio State & Notre Dame once again this season. Lots of DE and pass rushers this draft. WE NEED ONE BADLY to continue our "D'S" ability to be very good.

Gabe, I respect your opinion but I want nothing to do with that kid. He's got plenty of upside but I think of him as like a lottery ticket. Yea, you could win big...but odds are that you won't.

He got a ton of hype after his freshman year (and coming out of HS) and he's looked dreadful since. I watch a ton of CFB. This kid is a mess. If there are two things I am unwilling to risk it with on QB prospects, it's poor pocket presence and inaccuracy. Those are Hackenberg's two biggest issues.

The kid has a huge arm, good mobility, and seems like an intelligent, hard working player. But he's a guy that looks amazing in shorts but hasn't looked good on the field since his first year as a starter ended. You know who else that was true of? Blaine Gabbert.

Hackenberg holds the ball too long, doesn't feel pressure, and takes far too many sacks. When he does throw, his accuracy is seriously inconsistent. I totally understand that he has had poor talent around him. But it's hard for me to ignore how bad he's looked the past two years.

Could you hit it big with this kid? Yes. But he's too risky for me to bet it all on. He's the type of guy that a team like the Patriots, Cardinals, Saints, Chargers, etc. can bet it on. Because they have time to develop him and don't lose a bunch of games if he doesn't pan out.

For those who say "trade up," would you be OK with giving up on the opportunity to draft a WR like Will Fuller, Laquon Treadwell or Michael Thomas to take Goff/Lynch? Would you be willing to consider going Treadwell in the 1st and, say, Hackenberg in the 2nd?

This is like asking..."would you prefer to buy your tires before your car?" It's not a question. Unless the draft class lacks a top tier QB prospect and has a Calvin Johnson/A.J. Green/Julio Jones level prospect, I'm taking the QB every single time. WRs are only valuable if they have a QB to get them the ball.

Plus, I want nothing to do with Hackenberg.

Not sure about a first, but someone would probably give them a 3rd and a 5th, which is valuable. That cap hit lessens his value, IMO, as does his play this year. I suspect there are some people out there who share my concern that his earlier-career eye-popping numbers were as much a product of having the best WR of his generation in his prime as they are of him being that good of a QB.

If Detroit trades him, the worst they'll get is Alex Smith level compensation.(two 2nds) He's a former #1 overall pick that has had some good years and led his team to the playoffs with a cannon for an arm. Someone will pay for that. Look at what teams were offered for Bradford, Alex Smith, and Cutler.(and even Cassel)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Paxton Lynch, then Goff, then nobody in round 1.

I don't know how anyone can consider Brissett an NFL prospect.
Cook has the look of a career backup. Typical MSU QB, who will get a chance to start but his team will always be wanting more.
Hackenberg will need a good OC and QB coach to dictate his offense. OBrien said he is the smartest kid he ever coached........but he has no instinct for football IMO. He makes some beautiful throws and some awful ones. His OLine has not been good and receivers too. But he makes bad choices too often.
Wentz, I am not too excited about at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook has the look of a career backup. Typical MSU QB, who will get a chance to start but his team will always be wanting more.

Cook is the 2nd most frustrating QB I've ever evaluated behind Matthew Stafford. But I'd take him in the first round. I see Eli Manning. I acknowledge the potential that he busts because he's streaky as hell (which is the frustrating part). But I can't help but see Eli. Has that same ability to look absolutely incredible for stretches of time and then make the derpiest decisions and throws ever for a stretch of time.

I'm going to give a more detailed evaluation on him later. But watching his progression this year, I've bumped him up to a first rounder. He needs some work and like any rookie QB, you'll be doing him a favor if you sit him for a year...but I see things in this kid that make me think he'll be a good QB in the NFL. Like Eli, he'll have an up and down career but he'll be capable of doing great things when he's got his shit together.

If you play him as a rookie, be ready for streakiness and interceptions. But I think if given time, he'll prove to be a good QB. Like I said, I'll go into more detail later.

Until then, I'll leave you with these:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af4KtinpDXA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjAJ0Qzhtdc

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want an extended look at Kennum. I know he came from a wide open system at Houston but he IS the career NCAA leader in yards and TD's. The numbers were pretty sick.
I like Keenum and am hopeful he can turn things around. As for the bolded part, I'm not sure thats a good thing,
Here's the career passing yardage leaders, top 20. Not many name on that list you'd want on your team....
1. Case Keenum* 19217 2007 2011 Houston
2. Timmy Chang* 17072 2000 2004 Hawaii
3. Landry Jones* 16646 2009 2012 Oklahoma
4. Graham Harrell* 15793 2005 2008 Texas Tech
5. Ty Detmer 15031 1988 1991 Brigham Young
6. Kellen Moore* 14667 2008 2011 Boise State
7. Colt Brennan* 14193 2005 2007 Hawaii
8. Rakeem Cato* 14079 2011 2014 Marshall
9. Sean Mannion* 13600 2011 2014 Oregon State
10. Philip Rivers* 13484 2000 2003 North Carolina State
11. Corey Robinson* 134772010 2013 Troy
12. Colt McCoy* 13253 2006 2009 Texas
13. Aaron Murray* 13166 2010 2013 Georgia
14. Kevin Kolb* 12964 2003 2006 Houston
15. Dan Lefevour* 12905 2006 2009 Central Michigan
16. Derek Carr* 12843 2009 2013 Fresno State
17. Tim Rattay 12746 1997 1999 Louisiana Tech
18. Ryan Lindley* 12690 2008 2011 San Diego State
19. Luke McCown* 12666 2000 2003 Louisiana Tech
20. Chris Redman* 12541 1996 1999 Louisville
Bolded starters in NFL

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I voted Mannion. I've never seen him play and I've obviously got no idea how he is progressing or whether he is even being given practice reps which would allow him to progress.

However, has was drafted in the third round which is still where you look for starting calibre players. I like the philosophy of drafting a QB and allowing him to sit and develop and I love the thought that our QB of the future is already in house. I realise this might be naive as these types of scenarios just don't happen very often and, when it does, its someone likes Rodgers who was a first round pick and spent two seasons learning from one of the greatest of all time.

I suspect that the team would originally have preferred Mannion to be maybe QB2 at best next year but Foles' collapse could potentially mean Mannion has to compete for QB1 next year. I gather he's very intelligent which will hopefully translate into him being a fast learner cus he'll need it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cook is the 2nd most frustrating QB I've ever evaluated behind Matthew Stafford. But I'd take him in the first round. I see Eli Manning. I acknowledge the potential that he busts because he's streaky as hell (which is the frustrating part). But I can't help but see Eli. Has that same ability to look absolutely incredible for stretches of time and then make the derpiest decisions and throws ever for a stretch of time.

I'm going to give a more detailed evaluation on him later. But watching his progression this year, I've bumped him up to a first rounder. He needs some work and like any rookie QB, you'll be doing him a favor if you sit him for a year...but I see things in this kid that make me think he'll be a good QB in the NFL. Like Eli, he'll have an up and down career but he'll be capable of doing great things when he's got his crap together.

If you play him as a rookie, be ready for streakiness and interceptions. But I think if given time, he'll prove to be a good QB. Like I said, I'll go into more detail later.

I see him go from good to bad within the same game. I can see the Eli comparisons though. I think he is similar to Cousins. Good and solid but wont get you there.

Schmitzer

UDFA
I like the philosophy of drafting a QB and allowing him to sit and develop and I love the thought that our QB of the future is already in house

There isn't much development going on for a 3rd String quarterback. All attention from coaches is on starter and backup. But in our case, that may be a good thing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't mind drafting another QB, but I'm not sure I could stomach counting on a rookie to start in 2016.:headexplosion:

I all in for drafting one of the top 5 QB's. I would agree with what Memphis posted here. Rookie QB's starting would make us buying a ton of stomach remedies to resolve our stomach issues. The release of Foles would not hurt much looks like he will cost us 8.75 mil with remaining 9.75 million dead cap $$ so I could see him elsewhere. I do not see him here in our future. I have seen enough to know he is not the man for the job for me and my team.

The 27 yr old 4 yr veteran Case Keenum will enter free agency, but the good part is he is a RFA! So Keenum (if he does well the rest of the season could be a short term answer in 2016. We will see on him the rest of the way. I hoping he ignites this team in a similar way like the unknown Kurt Warner did.:cautious:

Snead's 3rd round 2015 selection will be around until 2019. The bigger 6-6 235 pound Sean Mannion Oregon State product could make some big leaps going into his 2nd season. The positive thing here on Mannion he Played in pro-style offense & is comfortable with 3-, 5- and 7-step drops from under center. Sure that DE Quinn will help fix his big issue where he carries ball low in the pocket.:confused:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Paxton Lynch. Jared Goff. Those are the only options I'd take at this point.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I like Keenum and am hopeful he can turn things around. As for the bolded part, I'm not sure thats a good thing,
Here's the career passing yardage leaders, top 20. Not many name on that list you'd want on your team....
1. Case Keenum* 19217 2007 2011 Houston
2. Timmy Chang* 17072 2000 2004 Hawaii
3. Landry Jones* 16646 2009 2012 Oklahoma
4. Graham Harrell* 15793 2005 2008 Texas Tech
5. Ty Detmer 15031 1988 1991 Brigham Young
6. Kellen Moore* 14667 2008 2011 Boise State
7. Colt Brennan* 14193 2005 2007 Hawaii
8. Rakeem Cato* 14079 2011 2014 Marshall
9. Sean Mannion* 13600 2011 2014 Oregon State
10. Philip Rivers* 13484 2000 2003 North Carolina State
11. Corey Robinson* 134772010 2013 Troy
12. Colt McCoy* 13253 2006 2009 Texas
13. Aaron Murray* 13166 2010 2013 Georgia
14. Kevin Kolb* 12964 2003 2006 Houston
15. Dan Lefevour* 12905 2006 2009 Central Michigan
16. Derek Carr* 12843 2009 2013 Fresno State
17. Tim Rattay 12746 1997 1999 Louisiana Tech
18. Ryan Lindley* 12690 2008 2011 San Diego State
19. Luke McCown* 12666 2000 2003 Louisiana Tech
20. Chris Redman* 12541 1996 1999 Louisville
Bolded starters in NFL

Pretty amazing numbers. I have no idea if that will translate to the NFL long term but one thing is for sure; To put up that many yards you don't suck. But it is crazy that so many of those guys sucked or never even made it in the NFL. Rivers, nothing to say there and I think Derek Carr is going to have a really good career.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm going to give a more detailed evaluation on him later. But watching his progression this year, I've bumped him up to a first rounder. He needs some work and like any rookie QB, you'll be doing him a favor if you sit him for a year...but I see things in this kid that make me think he'll be a good QB in the NFL. Like Eli, he'll have an up and down career but he'll be capable of doing great things when he's got his crap together.

Following up on my promise:
After watching some of his games from this year, I'm bumping Connor Cook up to a first round grade.(had him as a 2nd rounder on my first QB rankings)

But I have to say...he's the second most frustrating QB I've ever evaluated. The first is Matthew Stafford.

When I watch Cook, he's very streaky. He has 5-10 plays where he looks like Aaron Rodgers and then another 5-10 plays where he looks like Nick Foles. The closest comparison I can think of is Eli Manning.(Jay Cutler is another possible comparison...but Cook doesn't have the same level of arm strength)

Like Eli, he has some issues with lower body mechanics and makes too many derpy decisions. But also like Eli, you see a lot of flashes of greatness, serious competitiveness, underrated mobility, and a whole lot of toughness.

I think a couple of his issues with his lower body are that he has too narrow of a base when sitting in the pocket so he's not stepping into his throws and incorporating his lower body like he should. He also throws off balance too often.(either of his back-foot or without his feet set)

One thing Daniel Jeremiah pointed out was his tendency to allow his front-shoulder to fly open...after he mentioned it, I noticed it happening a bit when he wasn't setting his feet.

His decision making needs to improve. He's too aggressive at times and makes derpy decisions...that's the best way I can describe it. He refuses to give up on a play and does something inexplicable and extremely stupid. I think he might have an issue with his confidence. Seems to get mentally rattled at times when his performance is off...like he keeps digging the hole deeper and it takes him a little while to pull himself out of the funk.

On the other side of the coin, he murders the blitz. He's special at reading the blitz, finding the match-up advantage, and getting the ball out on time. He's patient in the pocket and willing to take hits but his internal clock and feel for pressure are both very good. Will move defenders with his eyes. And he has a good feel for the pocket.

His instincts in the pocket are very good. He feels pressure, moves within the pocket, remains calm, and finds a throwing lane. He's deceptively athletic and strong which allows him to slip/avoid tackles and extend the play. He moves well in the pocket with a good feel for space. Doesn't get rattled by a muddled or collapsing pocket.

And the most impressive part of his game to me is his ability to throw guys open. True anticipation passer that throws the ball to spots and allows his receivers to make a play. Timing is also excellent. He doesn't hesitate to throw before a WR has made his break and put the ball right on the money. Stood out to me in how good he is at sticking the ball into tight windows even before his WR breaks. When his accuracy is on, to make a baseball analogy, he paints the corner of the strike zone. There's hitting the strike zone and then there's painting the corners. I like my QBs to hit the strike zone...but I drool when my QB paints the corner. When Cook's accuracy is on, he puts the ball in the one spot where only his guy can get it. And he's especially good at making touch throws against defenders that have their back turned in man coverage...he drops it in right over the top.

In terms of physical tools, he's good but not elite. His arm strength is good and I think it'll be considered very good once his lower body mechanics are ironed out a bit. Prototypical NFL frame at 6'3"/6'4" 220. Could add a little weight but it's not an issue. Solid mobility...I think it's gotten better as he's matured. I think he's more coordinated and his feet are quicker than 2013 Connor Cook.

So yea, I'm giving him a first round grade. There are flaws in his game. There are issues to iron out. There are frustrating inconsistencies. But there are also a lot of really good things that translate well to the NFL game. As always, I think you should give him a year to develop...but he is capable of starting as a rookie. Just prepare yourself for streakiness and interceptions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I all in for drafting one of the top 5 QB's. I would agree with what Memphis posted here. Rookie QB's starting would make us buying a ton of stomach remedies to resolve our stomach issues. The release of Foles would not hurt much looks like he will cost us 8.75 mil with remaining 9.75 million dead cap $$ so I could see him elsewhere. I do not see him here in our future. I have seen enough to know he is not the man for the job for me and my team.

The rookie QB will cause stress his rookie year but he will also set us up to contend for the foreseeable future if he pans out. I'd rather it take a little longer to cure the disease than only treat the symptoms.