Phillips' defensive approach vs Gregg Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have respect for both DC's.But scheme wise,I prefer the 34 over a 43,
for the same reason Wade does.In a 34 your intentions are hidden more so than a 43
As a offense you know the forth man is coming,most of the time.But what you don't
know is,which player will be the forth man.
When coaching defense I run the 3-5-3(Old Georgia Military defense) for the same reasons.
It gives you a pre-snap advantage over the oline.It forces the offense to adjust after the snap.

I think it gives you an advantage personnel wise as well.There are not as many teams running
the 34,so you're looking at players that a 43 team can't use.Less competition for certain types of
players.

Whatever defense we run,will never reach it's potential,unless we get more sustained drives
out of our offense.A great point @Dxmissile brought up earlier.

Great post CGI
While I like the logic of this^ I tend to prefer the 4-3 because of the way the ' Fearsome-Foursome used it!! Call me Old Fashioned!!
" We would just stand there at the Line, Not Huddle, Like to say, this is what you have coming, and there is not a Damn thing you can do to stop us!!" Deacon Jones.
Old School Football! I like it!! But I have all the faith in the world, in the way Wade will do things!!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Not a big Fan of the 3-4. It's typically better against the pass but weaker against the run. I expect to see us getting gashed on the ground but much better against the pass. As long as we can hold a lead, the run game for the opposing team is less important. So getting the offense to be at least competent enough to score or maintain a drive, as opposed to record 3 and outs like it has been is more important than what happens on the D.

The cushion on 3rd down, was the most insanely frustrating thing to watch as a fan. He was getting paid millions and here I sit and think we have a great DL, press the WR to give them more time to get to the QB. It's simple. Rarely happened. Biggest change I hope to see.