Philip Rivers won’t sign a new contract before his current one expires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why trade for him? He is a FA next year. If he doesn't want to move then you gave up a lot for a 1 year stop gap and stifled any potential progress with Foles. If he does want to come to St Louis, play the year with Foles and sign him next year.

Rivers isn't hitting FA.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Why trade for him? He is a FA next year. If he doesn't want to move then you gave up a lot for a 1 year stop gap and stifled any potential progress with Foles. If he does want to come to St Louis, play the year with Foles and sign him next year.

Easy solution. Rams give up their first rounder for Rivers, then call the Browns and trade Foles to them for their first rounder. Farmer is still the GM there right? :whistle:

Athos

Legend
I would take him but not for a first at least not a top 15 pick

Sans maybe a Cooper/White, there's not a draft pick in this entire draft as proven as Rivers. And certainly no QB as talented.

Rivers is legit. That said, if you want Rivers, all you need is to wait a year as he will no doubt hit FA.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Rivers just doesn't want to go to LA. I'd say make an offer because he's a franchise QB but our situation isn't any better than San Diego's.
I'm pretty much with @Mojo I'd give a lot to get a QB of Rivers quality!!

Rivers lives in Poway, not far from where I call home. It is about as good a family environment as you could ever imagine, and that is his deal even more than football. I don't see why he couldn't play for an LA based team, it isn't a big distance, but I don't think he will ever uproot the whole family this late in the game. No way he leaves them on a one year deal to cash in, either. This guy truly is the salt of the Earth.
I have Family that live in Poway and it's a Beautiful place to live!!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Rivers isn't hitting FA.
Unless he signs a "franchise player deal that says one time only, which would make him ripe to replace the other Manning who kept him out of the SB, IMO he'd have won as many as three rings in New Yawk he's better than Eli.and NOW he's got P manning standing in his way.
I can well imagine how many times he's looked across the field and KNOWN he was better than the guy the Broncos had and thought "if only".

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A couple of thoughts here, not sure where to jump in.
1) San diego can franchise him next year so they won't lose him in fa
2) he didn't diss Los angeles. He has 7 kids and doesn't want to uproot them. Being that Los angeles is the only place the Chargers are rumored to be moving to other than staying put, he merely prefers to keep his family where they are

So my take? He's going nowhere and will finish his career in San diego

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
A couple of thoughts here, not sure where to jump in.
1) San diego can franchise him next year so they won't lose him in fa
2) he didn't diss Los angeles. He has 7 kids and doesn't want to uproot them. Being that Los angeles is the only place the Chargers are rumored to be moving to other than staying put, he merely prefers to keep his family where they are

So my take? He's going nowhere and will finish his career in San diego

And my take is he can force them to kill their cap if they franchise him two years in a row, so they very well could agree to a one year franchise clause draft his replacement now and know they had him for two years move on like the colts did with PM and he could take over the team that was built for Manning to win a SB.
AND as far as moving goes he may be in "if I have to uproot my family ,I'll be who decides where to.go mode

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Have y'all been to that stadium? I haven't been to Oakland, but Qualcomm couldn't be far off. That place is a dump.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And my take is he can force them to kill their cap if they franchise him two years in a row, so they very well could agree to a one year franchise clause draft his replacement now and know they had him for two years move on like the colts did with PM and he could take over the team that was built for Manning to win a SB.
AND as far as moving goes he may be in "if I have to uproot my family ,I'll be who decides where to.go mode
Well, I dont see how franchising him 2 years in a row would crush their cap, and I imagine that if they go the route of franchising him for 2016, they would be able to work out a long term deal. I would think that the stadium deal will be settled at some point in 2015, 2016 at the latest. So keeping his family in San Diego would be a bonus if in the next 18 months they decide to stay.

On a side note, I dont see the comparison to Peyton Manning. Had he not missed the season with a career ending neck injury, they would have never been in a position to draft Luck. And Manning would likely still have a horseshoe on his helmet

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Well, I dont see how franchising him 2 years in a row would crush their cap, and I imagine that if they go the route of franchising him for 2016, they would be able to work out a long term deal. I would think that the stadium deal will be settled at some point in 2015, 2016 at the latest. So keeping his family in San Diego would be a bonus if in the next 18 months they decide to stay.

On a side note, I dont see the comparison to Peyton Manning. Had he not missed the season with a career ending neck injury, they would have never been in a position whatdraft Luck. And Manning would likely still have a horseshoe on his helmet
But that did happen and Manning is on his last legs and that team is in a window of opportunity where Rivers could be a perfect replacement, if they franchise him 2 years in a row his cap hit is about 25 million 3 times 30? At some point his franchise salary is a cap buster

IMO Rivers doesn't want his kids in LA and if the Chargers move he has expressed his desire NOT to take his kids there which I interpret to mean if he;s moving his family it will be to where he chooses, and aas a father I completely understand that sentiment.
I only compare situations here not players

iced

Rivers isn't hitting FA.

wouldn't say that so matter of factly this early

besides his non-being thrilled about an LA team possibility,there is a lot of talk about Mariota and SD...not saying they're gonna get him, but they might be seriously be looking to the future

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/15/philip-rivers-chargers-titans-trade-rumor-nfl-draft/

rivers-story.jpg

Frederick Breedon/Getty Images

The Rivers Rumors
The dots are being connected on a possible big trade between the Chargers and Titans, involving Philip Rivers and the No. 2 pick. Will it happen? Plus, readers make the case for which retired safeties are worthy of Hall of Fame enshrinement
By Peter King

I’ve learned a lot about the passion of football fans in the past couple of days. I’ll explain how, and why, in a couple of paragraphs. But first, I want to weigh in on a story that won’t go away: the future of Philip Rivers with the San Diego Chargers.

I wrote Monday that the Chargers would be crazy to trade Rivers. For the past nine seasons, Rivers has started every one of San Diego’s 153 games. He is 92-61 overall, including playoffs, with a 95.7 regular-season passer rating and a plus-130 touchdown-to-interception differential. He will be 33 on opening day. The Chargers are in the horns of a dilemma with Rivers, because he’s entering the last year of his contract and has rebuffed efforts by San Diego GM Tom Telesco to sign an extension. Rivers hasn’t said why, but it seems pretty obvious. He has seven children, is happily married, and is worried about the franchise relocating to Los Angeles.

Rivers is from Alabama. He went to college in North Carolina. He’s a homebody type. Nashville is less than two hours from where he grew up. The second pick in the draft is held by Tennessee, and a big contingent of Charger people was in Eugene, Ore., on Tuesday to work out Marcus Mariota. Makes sense: After the Bucs pick Jameis Winston number one—which is the most likely scenario—San Diego could deal Rivers to Tennessee for the second pick in the draft (with other picks thrown in to equalize an odd trade, though I have no clue which side should throw in other picks) and choose Mariota, giving the Chargers their presumptive quarterback of the future.

Two and two is being put together all over the planet. Longtime Charger follower Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego wrote this week: “They need to trade Rivers. … This is not for effect. This is best for all involved.” Acee is close to Rivers. Acee is tight with the Chargers. And he’s right that the deal makes sense, but only if one very important condition is met. Only if San Diego coach Mike McCoy and GM Tom Telesco are convinced—not just have a feeling—that Mariota can be a very good long-term quarterback.

Otherwise, I don’t like dealing Rivers. At all. The Chargers haven’t won more than nine games over the past five seasons, but that’s not Rivers’ fault. He’s a 66-percent passer over those five years. He’s had some bad days. Good quarterbacks do. But every year you have Rivers as your leader, you enter the season with a chance to play deep into January. Not to say you couldn’t do that with Mariota eventually, but very likely not right away.

Rivers is healthy. My guess is he’d have five good years left, barring injury. If he’s told the team flat out he won’t go to Los Angeles, then Telesco has to do what he’s got to do. But as of a month ago, Rivers hadn’t said that. All he said was he wasn’t signing long-term—right now. Will he sign with San Diego after the 2015 season? Or would they risk putting the franchise tag on him when he clearly wouldn’t want to be there?

It’s a dilemma. I just know this: Unless Mariota was the object of my dreams, I’d rather have Rivers for one more year and take my chances on him signing one more Chargers contract. If he doesn’t, they can worry about that next March, with a new crop of quarterbacks coming out of college. I’m not a fan of giving away a very good player just because you’re not sure if you can sign him.

A few smart people around football don’t think Telesco will have the stones to deal Rivers. We’ll see. Telesco’s a smart guy. He’ll do what’s best for the franchise. I don’t see how trading Rivers is the best thing, but then again, I don’t know all that Telesco knows right now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interesting read.

If Rivers doesn't want to sign a deal with San Diego - deal him.

The relocation won't be decided any time soon.

Obviously; he needs to be willing to sign with Tennessee or the topic is moot.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If Rivers would re-sign with the Rams then I would be all over trading him for a #1