Phil Savage: Five ‘Pitfalls’ to Avoid on Draft Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Former Ravens GM and Senior Bowl Director Phil Savage reveals the Top 5 Pitfalls to Avoid on Draft Day. Here’s his list: 1) Picking the overachiever/underachiever 2) Don’t evaluate players on only one or two aspects of the process 3) Don’t disregard a negative report on a player 4) Don’t let coaches elevate a player late in the process 5) Don’t let need take over the draft board. (4:45)

RamzFanz

Damnit
5) Don't let need take over the draft board.

That's where so many fans and even coaches get screwed. Drafting for need, as anything but a tie breaker, is the fast lane to mediocrity.

Memphis Ram

Legend
"Don’t let need take over the draft board!!"

Truer words were never spoken regarding the NFL Draft.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
And don't let the lack of need take over the board as well.

Remember when we took Adam Carraker instead of Darrell Revis because we took a CB the year before? Supposedly, there was no pressing "need" for another first round CB.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
"Don’t let need take over the draft board!!"

Truer words were never spoken regarding the NFL Draft.
Don't you know that has got to be one hell of a temptation? I mean you have a glaring hole somewhere and there is a sure fire starter staring you in the face but you know he is not the BPA and you also know if you don't take that hole filler that he will not be there when your next pick comes around. But we all know this rule is violated alll the time. I'm sure plenty of teams with a pro bowl QB have passed over a QB that was probably the BPA.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Don't you know that has got to be one hell of a temptation? I mean you have a glaring hole somewhere and there is a sure fire starter staring you in the face but you know he is not the BPA and you also know if you don't take that hole filler that he will not be there when your next pick comes around. But we all know this rule is violated alll the time. I'm sure plenty of teams with a pro bowl QB have passed over a QB that was probably the BPA.

The NFL Draft, while major, is still just one part of the player acquisition process and team needs don't influence player availability. IMO, teams are better off selecting the BPA on their draft boards within reason and try to fill holes via free agency.

Being a sure-fire starter and being an impact player are two different things altogether in my book.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Savage was a lousy GM in CLE........I'm not sure that I'd listen to a guy who traded his second and the next years first to get Brady Quinn!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That BPA stuff is so overblown. Most teams rate players in tiers. Tier 1 may have 5 players. If the Rams draft in that tier they choose from those five and lean toward the bigger need since they see the players as being equally rated. If Tier 1 contains 1 player (like many presume this year) and that player (Clowney) is there at #2, then the Rams probably take him as BPA, because there are no equivalently talented players to choose from. But if they think there are 4 others that are equally talented as Clowney then they take the BPA at a position of need. If they think they can trade back 4 spots and still be happy with any of the 5 in that tier then maybe they value the extra picks acquired over the right to select a player in that tier that fits a need. They are just happy to get a great player at any positon.

Need always has some weight when making draft decisions. The Rams have two very good DEs and a big need at OT. That has to have a bearing on things. Now if Clowney hadn't raised any questions as to his character, then he is much more clearly the BPA. But that is not the case, so weighing the need comes into play. A few extra picks can help balance the scales.

Teams that don't have a decent QB put aside all other needs for their biggest need all of the time. You would have a tough time finding any NFL people telling you that is a huge mistake. If you don't have a QB then you don't win.

Does anyone think the Colts are going to take a QB in round 1 this year?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wouldn't say that BPA is overblown. Just not understood. My guess is, that for most, it's always been within reason, but what typically happens is that it gets discussed as no matter what.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Overblown. A player has to fill a role on a team to have success.

I don't believe in taking a player just to keep your competition from selecting them.

It's a combination of need and BPA.

laramsoriginal

Starter
My position has changed a tad. If we draft Clowney then the rams better take a OG in round 2 and 3. With the 13th pick, lets get Dennard/Gilbert to add some major talent to the secondary.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Don't keep trading down and then drafting Tye Hill.

If only I'd shared this insight back in 2006. Oh well