Pharoh Cooper expected to be Rams' punt returner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
oh lord....why do I have this feeling that this is a lateral move?

Pharoh has shaky hands too...not a natural catcher of the ball....IMO
Cooper didn't drop a pass last season, Austin dropped 7. I don't remember Cooper muffing a kick/punt return, Austin has.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His hands are more reliable than TA.
That's not saying much...
Pharoh IS a natural catcher, IMO.
First time looking at Rams wrs in person...watching Pharoh....every pass...I hear a thump....sometimes a double thump...a guy double catching a pass. Not the soft muffled sound of sure hands, but that loud thump of a ball not nestling securely in a receivers hands. That's Pharoh....ball kinda explodes...not like you like...
Cooper didn't drop a pass last season
Can't be true...I can clearly remember Pharoh dropping a pass...last season.

Personally....I'd go with Kupp....

or....if he can do it....Mike Thomas....no, not because I think his hands are better....but he's more explosive...

And fair catch a few...well, most punts.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I meant specifically catching kickoffs not his pass-catching.

Like I've mentioned I've watched the guy since his Gamecock days and he's a baller.
Not super athletic but very competitive.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just like I predicted in my earlier post, Pharoh muffs a punt. Luckily he recovered it . Fassel has to find someone who can field punts. Hope he tries Kupp.

I don't care how good at returning you are. Muffing punts is a game changer.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's not saying much...

First time looking at Rams wrs in person...watching Pharoh....every pass...I hear a thump....sometimes a double thump...a guy double catching a pass. Not the soft muffled sound of sure hands, but that loud thump of a ball not nestling securely in a receivers hands. That's Pharoh....ball kinda explodes...not like you like...
Can't be true...I can clearly remember Pharoh dropping a pass...last season.

Personally....I'd go with Kupp....

or....if he can do it....Mike Thomas....no, not because I think his hands are better....but he's more explosive...

And fair catch a few...well, most punts.

Punt returner might be a good spot for Thomas , but was he even on the 48 ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Punt returner might be a good spot for Thomas , but was he even on the 48 ?

Yes he played threw a great block to spring Cooper on the kick off return.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
He muffed one, let's see how he does this week. Way too many knee jerk reactions.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pharroh is not the answer at punt returner. He bobbles the ball too much. He's a turnover waiting to happen.

Not kneejerk OldSchool. He bobbled a lot in TC and pre-season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cooper muffed two, he bobbled one and flat out fumbled another, I understand this can get contagious, however, again I like Kupp regardless of how many other things he's doing. They will give Cooper another shot against Arizona, but I'm hoping nothing happens against the Cardinals because that team is now reborn with Peterson.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He muffed one, let's see how he does this week. Way too many knee jerk reactions.

Yeah - Thomas had his issues last year , but does catch the ball better.

I went to training camp last season & Thomas really stood out with Goff (Mannion)throwing him the ball as they were second string .

Copper was injured , but that fumble against the Niners cost a lot of Rams fans who put our money were our mouth was.
McVay does a great job of play calling & organizing the team. I just think they need to have a solid 4 qrts.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien

He led the SEC in receiving when he was at South Carolina and that is saying something. I would like to know how in the Hell you can hear the thump of the ball hitting his body during the action of an NFL game. You may be able to see it but I don't believe you could hear it.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just like I predicted in my earlier post, Pharoh muffs a punt. Luckily he recovered it . Fassel has to find someone who can field punts. Hope he tries Kupp.

I don't care how good at returning you are. Muffing punts is a game changer.
So is taking one to the house like Pharoh Cooper did.
That's a game-changer brah.

Why don't you let the guys settle in before you start disparaging him.

He muffed his first punt return in over a year.
And it wasn't that much of a muff.
It just kind of went up in the air and he grabbed it again.

Tavon is done. Face it.

TexasRam

Legend
No way I’m putting Thomas on punt returns. Dude has drop issues even on easy passes.

I don’t want Kupp on returns. Way too valuable to our pass game to risk injury.

Pharoah gets one more shot. I know he bobbled one and lost another but he gets one more shot. If he drops one then I’m putting Kupp back there and having him fair catch everything.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry Soul. Pharoh put it on the ground. He was lucky he got it back. At every TC session I attended, I watched them practice fielding punts, and Pharoh routinely bobbled. And that was a kickoff he returned, not a punt.

Hope I'm wrong, but Pharoh is not the sure handed guy Rams need to be fielding punts. I hope they're trying other guys.