Pharoh Cooper expected to be Rams' punt returner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pharoh Cooper expected to be Rams' punt returner
upload_2017-10-12_8-51-41.png

Pharoh Cooper will take over returning punts from Tavon Austin, who has done the job the last four years. Javier Rojas/Zuma Press/Icon Sportswire

• i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Pharoh Cooper is expected to take over Tavon Austin's role as the Los Angeles Rams' punt returner, coach Sean McVay said after Wednesday's practice. The Rams were going to try out Cooper Kupp as well, but he already plays a big role in the offense and Cooper has been producing as a kickoff returner.

Cooper ranks third in kickoff-return average, at 27.1 yards, but he also fumbled one of his NFL-leading 13 attempts. A fourth-round pick out of South Carolina last year, Cooper returned five punts as a rookie, totaling 5 yards. Austin has been returning the vast majority of punts for the Rams the last four years, averaging 8.9 yards and scoring three touchdowns, one shy of the NFL lead from 2013 to 2016.

But Austin has muffed four punts this season, three of which gave possession to the opposing team. Austin muffed a punt Sunday, was replaced by Kupp, then tried again, muffed another and was ultimately replaced for good.

"I know my situation," Austin said after Wednesday's practice. "I really believe I’m the best punt returner in the league; just gotta get rid of a couple problems I’m dealing with right now. But it’s going to be what it’s going to be. I’d rather come off than hurt this team."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As long as there are no issues moving forward I'm fine, I felt better if Cooper Kupp returned punts because I trust his hand more than Cooper's, however, I understand that Kupp is on the field more whereas Cooper plays more on special teams. Just catch the ball and go forward and all will be fine, that all I ask.

Last edited:

Big Game

Living The Dream
Good move Tavon needed a break and we can't have Kupp back there for punts and playing that many snaps on offense.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That's what I figured.

Catching a high arcing ball with 250 lb guys rushing at you is not as easy as it looks.

Cooper looks very confident doing it.

Of course there are slight differences in punt and kickoff returns but I think the overall athleticism of Pharoh Cooper will fit well with punt returning.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"I know my situation," Austin said after Wednesday's practice. "I really believe I’m the best punt returner in the league; just gotta get rid of a couple problems I’m dealing with right now. But it’s going to be what it’s going to be. I’d rather come off than hurt this team."

M1750-2.jpg

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Wow, 4 muffs in 5 games is atrocious. Austin will be out of the league in 2 or 3 years, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mehhhhhhh.

Let Malcolm Brown do it.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Mehhhhhhh.

Let Malcolm Brown do it.

Why not Justin Davis? I am sure he has been working on his hands. Or Malcolm Brown, and have Justin Davis play the TA role. And TA can spend most of the time infront of the jugs machine til he can catch 42mil balls...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pharoh is a good choice. Don't want to risk Kupp getting injured on returns and Pharoh deserves more opportunities.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All hail the Pharoh!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course there are slight differences in punt and kickoff returns
To me, I always saw them as very different... but both very brave.

The punt returner is standing back there, waiting... trying to figure out whether to fair catch or not. His eyes must have to dart back and forth between the coverage converging on him and the ball itself. Of the two, I'd say this is the most difficult.
I hope Cooper picks this up quickly... like I said, it's got to be hard.

But returning kick-offs requires reckless abandon... catch the ball and run as hard as you can toward huge players running as hard as they can toward you.

I have great respect for the players who do both of these duties.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I wonder what Austin means when he says "just got to get rid of a few problems".
I wonder if that's his technique or personal problems affecting his ability.
I'm sure he commented on it being a mental thing so I just hope it doesn't dent his confidence by being pulled.
It was, however, the right decision to replace him that position.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
These days with the kick designed to go into the endzone, the kick returner also has to decide whether to run it up field or not.

Punt returning also requires reckless abandon I would say as well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I wonder what Austin means.....
I sure as heck don't wonder or even care.

Everybody has problems but this guy gets a $750,000 paycheck for every game he plays plus the fact that he cost us an extra high draft pick.

Get it together or get gone.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Cooper just needs to do 2 things to be a big upgrade over Tavon...

1) Catch the damned ball.

2) Run North and South.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I sure as heck don't wonder or even care.

Everybody has problems but this guy gets a $750,000 paycheck for every game he plays plus the fact that he cost us an extra high draft pick.

Get it together or get gone.

Yeah, without a doubt.
I just wonder what the issue is and where it lies.
He saw a lot of action for one who made errors. It's a bit confusing.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, without a doubt.
I just wonder what the issue is and where it lies.
He saw a lot of action for one who made errors. It's a bit confusing.
Fair enough man.
I didn't mean to sound harsh towards you I am just getting a little tired of the Tavon drama.