PFT’s Week Five power rankings: Rams #10

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/06/pfts-week-five-power-rankings/

PFT’s Week Five power rankings
Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2015

1. Patriots (3-0; last week No. 1): The bye week, the one weekend of the year when the Patriots definitely won’t win.

2. Packers (4-0; No. 2): When they envisioned finally beating the 49ers, they likely assumed the 49ers would be a little bit better than they currently are.

3. Broncos (4-0; No. 3): Peyton Manning should be very glad he’ll never have to face the Denver defense.

4. Bengals (4-0; No. 5): They’re separating from the rest of the division; the next goal is to separate from the rest of the conference.

5. Falcons (4-0; No. 6): Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman, and Julio Jones are the new triplets.

6. Cardinals (3-1; No. 4): We’ll know a lot more about this team after back-to-back games at Detroit and Pittsburgh.

7. Panthers (4-0; No. 10): The schedule gets a lot tougher, soon.

8. Seahawks (2-2; No. 9): Jimmy Graham doesn’t block in the running game. And the offensive line doesn’t block in the passing game.

9. Jets (3-1; No. 14): The Jets hadn’t killed a coach this convincingly since Rich Kotite.

10. Rams (2-2; No. 17): Sunday’s win over the Cardinals inevitably will be bookended by a loss to someone like the Browns.

11. Cowboys (2-2; No. 8): Brandon Weeden deserves the least blame for the last two losses, and he’ll likely get the most of it.

12. Steelers (2-2; No. 11): Yes, Ben Roethlisberger had a phone on the sideline. And he was trying to drop Josh Scobee from his fantasy team.

13. Giants (2-2; No. 25): Unfortunately, “we should be 4-0” doesn’t count as a tiebreaker.

14. Bills (2-2; No. 7): From a coach who accused a referee from being an “over-officious jerk” to a coach who is giving the referees carpal tunnel syndrome from reaching for their flags.

15. Ravens (1-3; No. 15): They’re not dead yet. If they don’t get some help at receiver, they will be.

16. Vikings (2-2; No. 13): After the bye, 2-2 could quickly become 7-2.

17. Chiefs (1-3; No. 12): They’re still haunted by that fumble.

18. Raiders (2-2; No. 18): The fact that they didn’t think it was a trap game made it a perfect trap game.

19. Chargers (2-2; No. 19): The team that once traded the right to make Mike Vick the first pick in the draft welcomes him to town for the first time as a starter.

20. Colts (2-2; No. 20): Barely beating the Titans and Jaguars doesn’t bode well for hanging another banner this year. Unless the banner will say “We beat the Titans and Jaguars.”

21. Browns (1-3; No. 21): Dwayne Bowe said “it starts Sunday.” Maybe on one of these Sundays it will.

22. Washington (2-2; No. 29): Every win delays by roughly a month the possible decision to risk putting RG3 and his $16.1 million injury guarantee on the field.

23. Dolphins (1-3; No. 16): And now comes the artificial improvement as players hope to help the interim head coach keep the job, so they can then go back to underachieving.

24. Titans (1-2; No. 24): With the Colts poised to lose some games and the Texans unsettled at quarterback, the Titans could make things interesting after Marcus Mariota gets his NFL sea legs.

25. Texans (1-3; No. 23): They gave up on Brian Hoyer too soon, and they’re sticking with Ryan Mallett too long.

26. Jaguars (1-3; No. 26): Maybe they should have kept Josh Scobee, after all.

27. Eagles (1-3; No. 22): Unfortunately, “we’re a few missed field goals away from being 3-1” doesn’t count as a tiebreaker.

28. Buccaneers (1-3; No. 30): Baseball may be looking pretty good to Jameis right about now.

29. Saints (1-3; No. 31): With the Panthers and Falcons each 4-0, it’s going to be a tough climb to the top of the division.

30. Bears (1-3; No. 32): Suddenly, Jay Cutler doesn’t seem like such a horrible option.

31. 49ers (1-3; No. 27): “Losing with class” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

32. Lions (0-4; No. 28): For a change, the Lions have someone but themselves to blame for a tough loss.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm liking this year's Jets team. They're entertaining and talented.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been a long time since the Rams have been that high. Makes me paranoid.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Appears to make Florio paranoid, too... although he's writing what many of us are secretly fearing.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/06/seattle-seahawks-detroit-lions-week-4-nfl-power-rankings

The Fine Fifteen
by Peter King

1. New England (3-0). Back on Labor Day, Games 4 and 5—at Dallas, at Indianapolis—looked significantly more troublesome than they do now.

2. Green Bay (4-0). Packers are plus-11 in sack differential (17 by the Green Bay defense, six on Aaron Rodgers), which bodes well against the voracious rush of the Rams coming into Lambeau Field on Sunday.

3. Denver (4-0). Narrowly over the Bengals here. I’m bullish on the Broncos’ D, and I maintain that Peyton Mortal Manning—I think he’s starting to believe that’s his middle name—will get better and learn the limitations of his right arm as the season goes on.

4. Cincinnati (4-0). We all know the Chiefs are exceedingly disappointing on offense—no touchdowns on Sunday at Cincinnati—but what we saw was a Cincinnati defense that chewed through the Kansas City offensive line like it was whipped cream. I like Cincinnati at home Sunday against Seattle, because the one thing the Seahawks absolutely are unable to do is protect and keep the pocket clean for Russell Wilson.

5. Arizona (3-1). Still dominant in lots of ways, including the 66-26 second-half scoring differential. But what would worry me if I were a Cardinal is the great second half Todd Gurley had for St. Louis on Sunday. Sometime in the next two weeks—at Detroit, at Pittsburgh—the Cards’ run defense could hurt them.

6. Atlanta (4-0). Since taking over the starting running back job nine days ago, Devonta Freeman has run for 209 yards with six rushing touchdowns. Now the Falcons get Washington and New Orleans in a five-day span starting Sunday, and it’s a big chance for Freeman. Washington’s run defense is anonymous but very good.

7. Carolina (4-0). Touchdowns by Josh Norman: two. Touchdowns, combined, by leading rusher Jonathan Stewart and leading receiver Greg Olsen: two. Norman has all this bye weekend to study how to make life miserable in the secondary for Russell Wilson when the two teams play in Week 6.

8. Seattle (2-2). Takeaways from of Monday night: The offensive line is worse than anyone thought—and no one thought it was going to be even mediocre … Where is Jimmy Graham? Anyone seen him? … That defense against the Lions reminded me of the Seahawks at their 2014 best: just suffocating.

9. New York Jets (3-1). The defense is lethal, obviously. And now Sheldon Richardson, possibly the best man on the front seven, returns after a four-game suspension. I don’t know about you, but I’m sort of looking forward to the Oct. 25 game at New England. Interested to see what Tom Brady and Josh McDaniels (the Pats are averaging 39.7 points per game) have up their sleeves for the stingiest scoring defense in the league (13.8 ppg).

10. Minnesota (2-2). Watched a lot of the Vikings-Broncos game. Three thoughts: Teddy Bridgewater is good, in part because he’s unafraid of even the kind of relentless rush Denver poses for a quarterback. Adrian Peterson is back. And Anthony Barr is a dangerous, smart and instinctive force at linebacker. Not many linebackers can bait Peyton Manning, but Barr did on an interception.

11. New York Giants (2-2). Winning at Buffalo by two touchdowns was done, in part, by the undoing of the Bills, who are seeing yellow flags in their dreams, and rightfully so. But Eli Manning is making Reuben Randle a factor in the offense, which he has to be if New York’s going to be a serious contender in the division.

12. Dallas (2-2). Anticipatory, largely. Returning this week: Greg Hardy, Rolando McClain. Returning after the bye, Oct. 25, possibly: wide receiver Dez Bryant. Not so hopeless for the Cowboys as it appeared Sunday night after that bad loss at New Orleans.

13. Washington (2-2). If Kirk Cousins makes more plays for his team and not the foe, as he did in beating the Eagles, Washington’s defense is good enough for this team to contend into December in a flawed division. Road tests at the Falcons and Jets in the next two weeks will help decide that.

14. St. Louis (2-2).(Click link to watch video)
The St. Louis Rams enter Peter King's Fine 15 this week at No. 14.

15. Baltimore (1-3). But the Ravens need another receiver. Should be interesting to see Baltimore try to get back into contention against the Browns and Niners over the next two weeks.

Also Receiving Votes

16. Indianapolis (2-2). Good for Matt Hasselbeck, winning at 40 years, 10 days (as he did against the Jags), but that was as much a Jags loss as Colts win. There a big benefit to being in the AFC South.

17. Pittsburgh (2-2). Free Mike Vick. Let him make some plays.

18. San Diego (2-2). Steelers Monday, at Packers six days later. Not a comfy stretch.

19. Buffalo (2-2). Bills are better than this, and I am sure they will rise in time. But they just play too stupid, too often.

20. Oakland (2-2). Raiders flew home from their painful loss at Chicago Sunday thinking: Man, if we had just hung on today, King would have put us in his Fine Fifteen! Then, in unison, 53 men cried.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Seems odd Seattle is ranked higher than us sine we BEAT THEM.
Defending SB champs with the same record get a lot of leash. Let's beat them a second time and beat a bunch of other teams to get a nice, juicy record. Then we can worry about power rankings.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

These ranking don't mean shit at the end of the day.

The Rams could be #1 and I wouldn't give a damn. I don't need national hacks dumping praise on my favorite team. I know how good they are.

TXRams86

The Infamous
this is nothing more than a popularity contest.
the seahawks have beat some pretty lowly teams and they WON'T beat the bengals.
we knocked them off (superbowl contenders last year) and the cards (undefeated).
all that matters is that we know we're better than them. (y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
8. Seahawks (2-2; No. 9): Jimmy Graham doesn’t block in the running game. And the offensive line doesn’t block in the passing game.
Why are they ranked so high is baffling!!

10. Rams (2-2; No. 17): Sunday’s win over the Cardinals inevitably will be bookended by a loss to someone like the Browns.
what a dick-headed comment this^ is!!!!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
These ranking don't mean crap at the end of the day.

The Rams could be #1 and I wouldn't give a damn. I don't need national hacks dumping praise on my favorite team. I know how good they are.

Come on, admit it, didn't you enjoy it just a bit in 99' when we were ranked #1 every week :)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Its nice and all but nothing more than a popularity contest and more subjective than Ms America.

Just keep coming together as a team and pound the opposition into submission. I don't care what the pundit think I care what the results are.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I wanna' say FU Florio, but....
Actually, I will.
Losing to Pittsburgh is not shameful, and I think the Redskins will be better than expected.
And I actually like Florio - unlike a lot of people.

RamBill

Legend
Rams soar to No. 11 in Power Rankings after beating Arizona
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...no-11-in-power-rankings-after-beating-arizona

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As promised last week, a win against the then-No. 2 Arizona Cardinals would cause the St. Louis Rams' spot in the ESPN NFL Power Rankings to make a major leap.

The Rams held up their end of the bargain, knocking off the Cardinals 24-22 on Sunday in Arizona. So after holding steady at No. 19 in the Power Rankings the past two weeks, the Rams were one of this week's biggest risers, jumping all the way to No. 11.

At 2-2 with impressive division wins against Seattle and Arizona and disappointing non-division losses to Pittsburgh and Washington, the Rams once again look like the up-and-down enigma they've been since Jeff Fisher arrived in 2012. But just four games into the season, there seem to be a lot of teams that are hard to figure.

The Rams check in behind No. 10 Pittsburgh, a team they had on the ropes but couldn't finish off and that subsequently played on Thursday night and lost to the team that replaced the Rams at No. 19, the Baltimore Ravens.

Arizona dropped only two spots to No. 4, which should serve as another indication of the respect the voting panel has for the Rams.

Now the Rams get the chance to play the undefeated No. 2 team in the Power Rankings on the road for the second consecutive week. This time, the challenge is even tougher as they travel to face quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers. One would think a loss wouldn't drop the Rams too far, but another win? That could have the Rams on a steady rise, not only in these Power Rankings but in the eyes the collective NFL world.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I find these comments hilarious! The Colts, Steelers, and 9ers comments cracked me up!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
fuck that Cardiac Cardinals crap. my heart was beating out of my chest most of that last game after I promised I'd start caring less. we need a slick heart related nickname for these damn Rams after all the games they've played so far