PFT’s Week Eight picks: "I like Kansas City to win this one easily"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/23/pfts-week-eight-picks-4/

PFT’s Week Eight picks
Posted by Mike Florio on October 23, 2014

Last week, as the Saints built a supposedly insurmountable lead over the Lions, I taunted MDS with a link of Homer Simpson singing When the Saints Go Over There. And I scoffed when he suggested I was celebrating prematurely. Which of course cemented the looming jinx.

Back came the Lions and down went the Saints and MDS prevailed in the one game of 15 on which we disagreed.

For the week, MDS was 11-4 and I was 10-5. For the season, he’s now at 70-36 (66 percent) and I’m at 65-41 (61.3 percent).

We disagree on two games this week. And there will be no premature celebrating from me this week. Or ever again.

Chargers at Broncos

MDS’s take: The battle for first place in the AFC West will feature two MVP candidates at quarterback, but the difference in my view is that the Broncos’ defense is playing almost as well as their offense. This will be a lower-scoring game than most people think, and that favors Denver.

MDS’s pick: Broncos 21, Chargers 10.

Florio’s take: Last year, the Chargers caught the Broncos napping on a Thursday night in December. This year, the Broncos are bracing for their rivals, and the midseason stakes are considerably higher.

Florio’s pick: Broncos 38, Chargers 20.

Lions at Falcons

MDS’s take: What does an offense with good skill-position players and a terrible line look like? Like the 2014 Falcons, whose injuries up front have been devastating. The Lions’ defensive front will take advantage of the injury-riddled Atlanta line and improve to 6-2 with a win in London.

MDS’s pick: Lions 24, Falcons 13.

Florio’s take: At least the Falcons won’t have to use a silent snap count for this home game, since it won’t be played in the Georgia Dome. It won’t matter; Detroit’s defense is too good and Atlanta’s offensive line is too banged up.

Florio’s pick: Lions 27, Falcons 17.

Seahawks at Panthers

MDS’s take: The Seahawks haven’t been playing their best football lately, but they’ve been playing better than the Panthers, whose defense has fallen apart. Seattle will get things turned around.

MDS’s pick: Seahawks 28, Panthers 20.

Florio’s take: Last year, the Panthers took the Seahawks to the limit in Week One, an outcome that became more impressive for Carolina as the season unfolded. This year, Carolina’s defense is coming apart at the seams, and the Seahawks’ performance have been spotty enough to trigger the kind of external criticism that could put a much-needed chip back on their shoulders.

Florio’s pick: Seahawks 30, Panthers 20.

Ravens at Bengals

MDS’s take: Cincinnati dominated when these two teams met in Week One, but Baltimore has looked like the much better team recently. The Ravens are playing so well in all three phases of the game that I just can’t pick against them right now.

MDS’s pick: Ravens 21, Bengals 20.

Florio’s take: The Bengals won in Baltimore to start the season. But the Bengals are struggling without a deep threat to stretch the field (assuming A.J. Green remains out), and the Ravens have found their groove.

Florio’s pick: Ravens 24, Bengals 17.

Dolphins at Jaguars

MDS’s take: The Jaguars got their first win on Sunday. Can they make it two in a row? Not against the Dolphins, who are a much better team than most people realize. Miami will win this one easily.

MDS’s pick: Dolphins 30, Jaguars 14.

Florio’s take: This is exactly the kind of game the Dolphins could lose, a week after a thrilling road win in Chicago. The upset is tempting, but the Dolphins presumably won’t take the Jags lightly a week after the Browns did.

Florio’s pick: Dolphins 24, Jaguars 13.

Rams at Chiefs

MDS’s take: The two Missouri teams pulled off two surprising upsets last week, but I see the Rams’ win as more of a fluke, while the Chiefs’ win was a sign that they’ve got a good chance to go on a run in the AFC. I like Kansas City to win this one easily.

MDS’s pick: Chiefs 31, Rams 10.

Florio’s take: More than bragging rights will be on the line in the latest edition of the Battle for Missouri. Both teams have a chance to make a run at the postseason after being blown out at home in Week One. The Chiefs have too much talent for the Rams, especially when the Kansas City offense faces the St. Louis defense.

Florio’s pick: Chiefs 24, Rams 17.

Bears at Patriots

MDS’s take: The Bears are coming apart at the seams, just as the Patriots are coming together and playing their best football. This should be a big win for New England.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 27, Bears 17.

Florio’s take: The Patriots have found the gas pedal, and the Bears are clumsily mashing their feet against the floorboard in search of it. Yes, the Patriots are banged up defensively, but the extra time to prepare and the apparent inability of coach Marc Trestman to adjust to defenses that have a full season of offensive film gives the edge to one of the great tactical masterminds in NFL history.

Florio’s pick: Patriots 30, Bears 21.

Bills at Jets

MDS’s take: I’ve felt all year that the Jets are a better team than they’re showing on the field, and I think we’re finally going to see them turn in a complete game on Sunday. The Bills’ offense will struggle with the Jets’ defense and the Jets will win a low-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Jets 17, Bills 13.

Florio’s take: The Jets surely won’t finish 1-15. What better way to get a win than against a Bills team that is rattled at the tailback position and generally not a good as its 4-3 record suggests? While Percy Harvin isn’t good enough to turn around a lost season in New York, he’s good enough to make a difference in this one.

Florio’s pick: Jets 24, Bills 20.

Vikings at Buccaneers

MDS’s take: In a battle of two of the worst teams in the NFL, I’ll take the home team. That’s about all I’ve got to say about this one.

MDS’s pick: Buccaneers 9, Vikings 6.

Florio’s take: Somehow, the Bucs are still alive in the NFC South. While a run at the division is unlikely, they’ve extra week to prepare gives them the edge in the latest reunion of a longtime NFC Central rivalry.

Florio’s pick: Buccaneers 27, Vikings 24.

Texans at Titans

MDS’s take: The Texans have lost three straight, but all against good teams. Against a bad team with a rookie making his first start at quarterback, I like Houston to take care of business.

MDS’s pick: Texans 17, Titans 14.

Florio’s take: The fading Texans get just what they needed — a crack at a Titans team that somehow has two wins. It’ll stay at two wins on Sunday, with Ryan Fitzpatrick (who’s averaging a career-high 8.0 yards per attempt) getting a chance to beat his most recent former team.

Florio’s pick: Texans 27, Titans 13.

Eagles at Cardinals

MDS’s take: Coming off a bye week that followed their most impressive win of the season, I think the Eagles should be playing their best football right now. Arizona is playing excellent football, but the Eagles will upset the Cardinals in the desert.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 21, Cardinals 17.

Florio’s take: So much for the Cardinals wanting to rejoin the NFC East. They face the 5-1 Eagles and 6-1 Cowboys in consecutive weeks, and it could be time for the Super Bowl jinx to begin to kick in. Especially with Chip Kelly having two weeks to get ready for this one.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 27, Cardinals 20.

Raiders at Browns

MDS’s take: Could the Browns make it two straight losses to previously winless opponents? I don’t see it. Cleveland’s offense should have no trouble moving the ball against Oakland.

MDS’s pick: Browns 28, Raiders 14.

Florio’s take: Trap Game No. 2 for the Browns. And its against a team that delivered one of the most bitter defeats in franchise postseason history. If the Browns lose to a winless team for the second straight week, they won’t have to worry about a bitter playoff defeat this year.

Florio’s pick: Browns 27, Raiders 17.

Colts at Steelers

MDS’s take: Andrew Luck should have a big game against a suspect Steelers secondary, and the Colts should put up plenty of points in Pittsburgh.

MDS’s pick: Colts 35, Steelers 27.

Florio’s take: Yea, the Colts shut out the Bengals last week. But that happened at home, not in Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh, the Steelers average 28 points per game. And just when folks write off the Steelers, they find a way to win games they’re supposed to lose.

Florio’s pick: Steelers 28, Colts 23.

Packers at Saints

MDS’s take: The Saints’ defense is a complete mess, and Aaron Rodgers is playing at a very high level. Even if the Saints get a great game from their offense, they simply won’t be able to keep up in a high-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Packers 30, Saints 20.

Florio’s take: The Saints are still undefeated at home, and they play even better in the Superdome when America is watching. By the way, the NFC South remains ripe for the plucking.

Florio’s pick: Saints 34, Packers 31.

Washington at Cowboys

MDS’s take: Is Colt McCoy the answer? Of course not. Stop asking stupid questions. The Cowboys will roll.

MDS’s pick: Cowboys 31, Washington 13.

Florio’s take: Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy, it doesn’t matter. The Cowboys may cool off by the time it really counts, but they’re the hottest team in football for now.

Florio’s pick: Cowboys 31, Washington 16.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Last week I beat MDS's picks by One, guess which one, Yes it was the Ram's game!! This week I predict, I'll beat him by at least one, Want to guess which one!?! Yes, right again, the Ram's game!! We Will step on KC, 31-17, Bet on it!!:D

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams can beat anyone... they are smothering the run and finally limiting mistakes and penalties.
They can move the ball against any defense and under Fisher they are as good on the road as they are at home.
I think the players are starting to put it together.
Best case scenario is a close game with a big "W" for the horns.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I fully expect the Rams to lay it ALL on the line for this baby!
This ain't no game we're talkin'. It's the damn GOVERNOR'S CUP!
G-Cup.jpg

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
These guys are fools. Kansas City has "too much talent on offense"? Alex Smith? They do have Jamaal Charles, but who else? Geez these guys are idiots. Predicting 31-10? Saying Rams win was a fluke? Absolutely no respect at all.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm a little surprised he picks the Chefs to "win easily"...They're favored, but so were the Albatross...I'm a little surprised the line is 7...That seems a little high to me...None of that matters, of course..With another good TEAM effort, the Chefs can be had, for sure...I'm also not ready to set myself up for an emotional free fall day...Cautiously optimistic, I suppose...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams can beat anyone... they are smothering the run and finally limiting mistakes and penalties.
They can move the ball against any defense and under Fisher they are as good on the road as they are at home.
I think the players are starting to put it together.
Best case scenario is a close game with a big "W" for the horns.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These guys are fools. Kansas City has "too much talent on offense"? Alex Smith? They do have Jamaal Charles, but who else? Geez these guys are idiots. Predicting 31-10? Saying Rams win was a fluke? Absolutely no respect at all.
I hope the Chiefs walk into this game thinking just like these two!!:sneaky:

dhaab

Rookie

I wouldn't call what the Rams are doing on defense "smothering the run". They are getting better at stopping runs between the tackles, but the outside runs continue to be an issue. The linebackers need to improve dramatically in containing outside runs going forward.

A55VA6

Legend
No one picks the Rams every single week so it's nothing new. haha. No one picked us last week and we won. We have Ditka on our side this week...

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 2.04.15 PM.png

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Any person who predicts the Rams to only put up 10 points has paid ZERO attention to this team.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Did KC trade for a bunch of pro bowlers this week or something.More talent than the Rams on offense vs our defense..WOW

RamzFanz

Damnit
Any person who predicts the Rams to only put up 10 points has paid ZERO attention to this team.

Yeah, 10 points is crazy talk. KC may be able to hold the Rams down a little because they have a good secondary, but their run D is horrible. Tre is going to go nuts if he gets the carries.

I'm not concerned about the Rams scoring as much as that second half defense that almost blew the Seahawks game. Charles and Davis are a really good duo and Smith can run when needed.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I've watched the Chiefs twice this year and the word "talent" isn't the word I would have chosen to describe their offense. Dropped passes, that would be what I noticed. That and Bowe isn't as good as I thought he was. Their run game is nice. They are well coached with Andy Reid. Definitely not 31-10 good though. The 24-17 score is much more likely, with either team likely to come out on top.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
What baffles me is all these "pro" analysts like to call last week a fluke when clearly we've kicked azz the first half of our last few games, we just have issues goin for the kill.
Once we learn to finish there isn't a team out there we can't compete with.

F it, beat em by 17 this weekend and get some friggin respect

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Suck it Florio. Let's go Rams!

V3

Hall of Fame
The two areas that I feel the Rams' D doesn't do well against is exactly what the Chiefs like to do; Run to the outside and dink and dunk passes. The Rams can win any given Sunday but I am a bit concerned about those two areas.