PFT’s Week 11 picks: Rams Lose

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Rams and Vikings look evenly matched. Home field advantage could be the difference in this one. The Rams offensive line has to hold off the defensive line of the Vikings to give them a good shot at winning.

Agreed. The more I think about it, I think Aaron Donald has to make the difference in this game. Keenum has not faced pressure up the middle, and that's the only thing I can visualize making a difference for us.

After seeing our O against Seattle and Jacksonville, everything else seems like an evenly-matched wash in this game.

Ram65

Legend
Agree completely.

Disagree completely.

Agreed. The more I think about it, I think Aaron Donald has to make the difference in this game. Keenum has not faced pressure up the middle, and I that's the only thing I can visualize making a difference for us.

After seeing our O against Seattle and Jacksonville, everything else seems like an evenly-matched wash in this game.

The crowd noise worries me. The Rams have had problems wasting timeouts because of not getting plays in on time. The possible false starts and poor communication come into play as this new stadium is very loud.

This Rams team is more disciplined than recent teams. I did just listen to the McVay presser and he mentioned Dallas as being a loud place the Rams have played. The Rams did ok there.

Donald has to make a difference but, he needs some help too on the defensive line.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's funny how many of the "experts" call the Rams legit, except when they are matched against other good teams....They keep talking about the rest of our schedule, and it's rare to hear any of them to say will have a winning record over the next 7 games. Eff them....I hope the Rams lay 50 burgers on all these biatches the rest of the way! :rant:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/16/pfts-week-11-picks-8/

PFT’s Week 11 picks
Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2017

Rams at Vikings

MDS’s take: Jared Goff takes on Case Keenum in a matchup of two quarterbacks who look great this year after looking terrible as teammates with the Rams last year. This game feels like a coin flip to me, but I’ll take the home team.

MDS’s pick: Vikings 23, Rams 20.

Florio’s take: Game of the week. A rematch of some classic playoff contests, between a pair of teams that may be destined to meet again in the elimination round. Minnesota’s defense is the difference-maker, especially at home.

Florio’s pick: Vikings 17, Rams 13.
--------------
Titans at Steelers

MDS’s take: The Steelers have a tendency to play down to the level of their opponents in games against bad teams like the Colts (whom the Steelers barely beat) and the Bears (who beat the Steelers). But against a pretty good team like the Titans, the Steelers will come to play.

MDS’s pick: Steelers 30, Titans 20.

Florio’s take: It’s often a crapshoot when it comes to the Steelers, but they tend to be focused and prepared when playing in prime time, where they’re 31-16 under Mike Tomlin. The twist in this case comes from Titans assistant Dick LeBeau knowing the team’s offense and personnel incredibly well. Under the lights at Heinz Field, that probably won’t be enough to make the difference — as long as the Steelers truly show up.

Florio’s pick: Steelers 27, Titans 23.
---------------
Lions at Bears

MDS’s take: This won’t be an easy game for the Lions, who may struggle to put many points on the board on a cold day in Chicago. But the Lions’ defense should hold Mitchell Trubisky in check well enough to win a close game.

MDS’s pick: Lions 14, Bears 10.

Florio’s take: The Bears are dangerous, especially at home. But the Lions are finding their stride by racking up wins and not taking anyone for granted. They’ll check another box as they move toward a Thanksgiving showdown with the Vikings.

Florio’s pick: Lions 24, Bears 13.
--------------
Jaguars at Browns

MDS’s take: DeShone Kizer had his best game last week in Detroit, but this week against an excellent Jaguars pass defense, he’s going to have a tough time. The Jaguars should win handily.

MDS’s pick: Jaguars 21, Browns 6.

Florio’s take: A pair of franchises mired in years of difficulty are moving in very different directions. And the Jaguars will show Browns fans what the Browns could be if they ever find a way to make good decisions about young players over a period of several years.

Florio’s pick: Jaguars 20, Browns 9.
--------------
Ravens at Packers

MDS’s take: Brett Hundley showed some signs of improvement last week against the Bears, but the Packers are still going to have a tough time putting many points on the board on Sunday, and the Ravens should win a low-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Ravens 17, Packers 13.

Florio’s take: The Ravens have had two weeks to get ready for a showdown in a place where the Packers suddenly are having a hard time winning games, primarily because they don’t have Aaron Rodgers. Baltimore is capable of a periodically impressive performance, and if one doesn’t happen on Sunday, their chances of getting to the playoffs could sink close to zero.

Florio’s pick: Ravens 24, Packers 20.
--------------
Cardinals at Texans

MDS’s take: In a battle of two teams with backup quarterbacks, I see the Cardinals’ defense forcing Tom Savage into a few turnovers to win an ugly game.

MDS’s pick: Cardinals 16, Texans 13.

Florio’s take: Drew Stanton or Blaine Gabbert will be facing Tom Savage, while Colin Kaepernick continues to wait for a call that may never come. The difference maker will be Adrian Peterson, who will have an easier time finding running lanes than when he faced the Seahawks.

Florio’s pick: Cardinals 23, Texans 17.
-------------
Buccaneers at Dolphins

MDS’s take: This is going to be an ugly game between two ugly offenses. I’ll take Jay Cutler to just slightly outplay Ryan Fitzpatrick.

MDS’s pick: Dolphins 14, Buccaneers 10.

Florio’s take: The Week One game that was delayed due to a hurricane comes at a time when both teams seems to be mired in quicksand. After three straight losses, the Dolphins get a chance to start to turn things around.

Florio’s pick: Dolphins 27, Buccaneers 17.
-----------
Chiefs at Giants

MDS’s take: This is the easiest game on the board to pick. The Giants have quit on Ben McAdoo, and the Chiefs will roll.

MDS’s pick: Chiefs 35, Giants 10.

Florio’s take: Andy Reid rarely loses after the bye, in any year. The Giants in 2017 rarely win.

Florio’s pick: Chiefs 37, Giants 17.
-------------
Redskins at Saints

MDS’s take: The Saints are playing as well as anyone in the NFL right now, and they’ll keep their march to the playoffs going.

MDS’s pick: Saints 30, Redskins 17.

Florio’s take: The Redskins have shown that it can win a big game on the road, and this is a big game on the road. But it may be bigger than what the Redskins can handle, given the dramatic improvement of the Saints, on both sides of the ball.

Florio’s pick: Saints 27, Redskins 23.
--------------
Bills at Chargers

MDS’s take: Nathan Peterman gets his first career start, while the Chargers don’t know who their quarterback will be, as Philip Rivers is in the concussion protocol. That makes this a tough game to pick but I’ll go with the Chargers.

MDS’s pick: Chargers 20, Bills 17.

Florio’s take: Nathan Peterman could eventually become a very good quarterback for the Bills. For now, a baptism by lightning bolt may be too much to handle.

Florio’s pick: Chargers 28, Bills 17.
------------
Bengals at Broncos

MDS’s take: The Broncos have gone into the tank in recent weeks, but the Bengals’ offense probably won’t put many points on the board in Denver. I’ll pick the home team in a close and low-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Broncos 14, Bengals 13.

Florio’s take: Two years ago, a late-season showdown between these two teams had a postseason bye on the line. This season, both teams have had their playoff hopes go farewell long ago.

Florio’s pick: Broncos 17, Bengals 12.
--------------
Patriots vs. Raiders

MDS’s take: The altitude of Mexico City will make this game an interesting one in the kicking game, and a 70-yard field goal isn’t out of the question. Look for Tom Brady to complete some deep passes against the Raiders’ secondary and win a high-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 35, Raiders 31.

Florio’s take: Whether Massachusetts, California, or Mexico, the Raiders simply aren’t ready to keep pace with the Patriots.

Florio’s pick: Patriots 34, Raiders 20.
------------
Eagles at Cowboys

MDS’s take: The Cowboys are reeling, and the Eagles coming to town isn’t going to make life any easier.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 24, Cowboys 17.

Florio’s take: It’s desperation time for Dallas, and sometimes desperation is the difference. The Cowboys find a higher gear and secure a hard-fought win, delaying (but not preventing) the inevitable clinching of the division by the Eagles.

Florio’s pick: Cowboys 27, Eagles 24.
------------
Falcons at Seahawks

MDS’s take: The Falcons played one of their best games of the season on Sunday and the Seahawks are struggling with injuries, but I still like Seattle to take this one.

MDS’s pick: Seahawks 20, Falcons 17.

Florio’s take: Russell Wilson’s one-man band continues to find a way to make something close enough to actual music in Seattle.

Florio’s pick: Seahawks 20, Falcons 13.

Should be considered a positive sign to have Florio pick against us.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
McVay is very familiar with the Vikings defense having played against them last year....in Washington though. The Redskins beat them in a fairly close game but that's when the Vikings had some major OL problems. Still, the Skins were able to move the ball on them consistently, including rushing for 128. Now with Gurley and a little more talent on offense the Rams could make enough plays to win. Not handing it to the Vikings, they'll have to play a nearly flawless game to win, and Case is not "nearly flawless."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's funny how many of the "experts" call the Rams legit, except when they are matched against other good teams....They keep talking about the rest of our schedule, and it's rare to hear any of them to say will have a winning record over the next 7 games. Eff them....I hope the Rams lay 50 burgers on all these biatches the rest of the way! :rant:

It will get even more irritating if the Rams whoop up on the Vikes. Because then they'll start crowning us too early, which is worse, with the Saints up next. And right now the Saints might be the best team for purposes of being balanced for the playoffs with that 180ypg running game plus stout defense. They're playing great ball right now.

But again I prefer the Rams to remain an underdog as long as possible. That hoopla and over the top BS is coming.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The crowd noise worries me. The Rams have had problems wasting timeouts because of not getting plays in on time. The possible false starts and poor communication come into play as this new stadium is very loud.

This Rams team is more disciplined than recent teams. I did just listen to the McVay presser and he mentioned Dallas as being a loud place the Rams have played. The Rams did ok there.

Donald has to make a difference but, he needs some help too on the defensive line.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/931973552210771968

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be running Austin in motion and into deep routes, streaks on almost every pass play. Hold a S and take two defenders out of the play. If the start to ignore Austin with a keeping a S then throw to him. Don't even have to complete it to help hold the S.

While I'd love to see Tavon play well enough to be a key factor in this game, I seriously doubt he is. Giving him the ball around the LOS is fine, but I would not waste any throws to him beyond 10ish yards past the LOS. Bad hands, miniscule catch radius, just no. Rams cannot afford to blow downs vs this defense, they gotta make them count with guys who might actually catch the ball.

Put him into some screens where he and Gurley are opposite sides of the hash for misdirection purposes, sure. Jet sweeps, ok. Reverses, meh, but ok. But don't pi$$ away downs in this game. IMO keeping it north/south in the run game and play action off that, just relying on Jared throwing to our real receivers is the way to go.

Rams can win this game I think. Just a matter of whether they have grown enough to win a road playoff level game. But don't get all cute to guys you can't trust. It's time to attack these MFers vertically and see if they can handle it.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
We haven’t really seen the Rams play from behind this season
not true. Dallas. Houston. I would even submit the near perfect drive at the end of the Seattle game. I’m probably forgetting a game or two also.

The L.A. defense, while capable of forcing turnovers and making plays, isn't this dominant defense that shuts down opposing offenses. It certainly isn't on the level of Minnesota's defense.
Rams are #1 in turnovers and allow 18.0 points a game vs. Vikings 18.3. Certainly wha??

Minnesota is at home, it has weapons on offense, and I still need to see Goff play a good defense and throw into tight windows before I'll fully believe in the Rams.
So the Vikings have weapons. They’re “proven” but the Rams at #1 in offense still have the jury out. Gotcha.

Although Minnesota hasn’t done a terrific job of keeping the passing yards to a minimum in 2017, they’ve excelled at the “bend but don’t break” approach.
Oh now that the Vikings are inferior in yards allowed in this category to the Rams, the “bend but don’t break” excuse comes into vogue. Again. Rams 18.0. Viqueens 18.3. Hmmm.

The Rams boast a solid defense, but it’s far from unbeatable.
*Inference: Viqueens D is unbeatable? I can’t wait for this game to be played.

National media watching Sunday:
:headexplosion::headexplosion::headexplosion:

The Vikings are 7-2 even though Case Keenum is their quarterback and the Rams are 7-2 even though their coach is a Millennial.
Ok. Pretty funny. Though low hanging fruit. Hard to believe the truth in that sometimes. Cheers millennials! McVay giving you guys some blowback.
:cheers:

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
My own prediction is we're about to bench Case Keenum again. Sorry, Case.

fearsomefour

Legend
While I'd love to see Tavon play well enough to be a key factor in this game, I seriously doubt he is. Giving him the ball around the LOS is fine, but I would not waste any throws to him beyond 10ish yards past the LOS. Bad hands, miniscule catch radius, just no. Rams cannot afford to blow downs vs this defense, they gotta make them count with guys who might actually catch the ball.

Put him into some screens where he and Gurley are opposite sides of the hash for misdirection purposes, sure. Jet sweeps, ok. Reverses, meh, but ok. But don't pi$$ away downs in this game. IMO keeping it north/south in the run game and play action off that, just relying on Jared throwing to our real receivers is the way to go.

Rams can win this game I think. Just a matter of whether they have grown enough to win a road playoff level game. But don't get all cute to guys you can't trust. It's time to attack these MFers vertically and see if they can handle it.
It's not even about getting the ball to him.
It's about forcing the d backfield to pay attention to him downfield. The Viking rush the passer and force short throws. Those S creep up. If it is there to take a shot to him take it. If not keep running him deep to help open other things up. If a big play comes out if it he will be getting attention over the top from a S. occupying part if their D with that sort of attack, even if the ball isent usually going there, could help open some things up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not even about getting the ball to him.
It's about forcing the d backfield to pay attention to him downfield. The Viking rush the passer and force short throws. Those S creep up. If it is there to take a shot to him take it. If not keep running him deep to help open other things up. If a big play comes out if it he will be getting attention over the top from a S. occupying part if their D with that sort of attack, even if the ball isent usually going there, could help open some things up.

The prob is Goff makes those reads fast and might throw to him. You can't just have Tavon go long as a decoy; what if there's a busted coverage? He has to be a read. But then when Jared throws it to him he'll drop it, fail to track it and/or won't be able to bring it in with his miniscule catch radius, etc.

You can send some other WRs deep, and if they're open just throw it to them. And they actually have a good chance to catch it. Tavon simply cannot be trusted to catch real passes, he is a gadget only player.

fearsomefour

Legend
The prob is Goff makes those reads fast and might throw to him. You can't just have Tavon go long as a decoy; what if there's a busted coverage? He has to be a read. But then when Jared throws it to him he'll drop it, fail to track it and/or won't be able to bring it in with his miniscule catch radius, etc.

You can send some other WRs deep, and if they're open just throw it to them. And they actually have a good chance to catch it. Tavon simply cannot be trusted to catch real passes, he is a gadget only player.
Doesn't matter who goes deep actually. Austin is the fastest guy. Reynolds could work as well if you want to throw some jump balls. Could send Cooper too.
Just a thought.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I think Tavon will continue to be used in a similar way, with a few new plays, in the second half of the season. He may be gone next year. If he is gradually phased out this year, the writing is on the wall. But if anyone can make chicken salad from that chicken $#!&, McVay can.

On a side note, Great new Avatar Merlin!
1269.jpg