PFT: Teams will be ready to spend in FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/18/teams-will-be-ready-to-spend-in-free-agency/

Teams will be ready to spend in free agency
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2018, 6:29 PM EST
840633622-e1516318028484.jpg

Getty Images

As teams prepare for the process of improving their rosters via free agency and the draft, an early sense has emerged regarding whether teams will be spending in free agency.

Per a league source, they will.

The only problem is that the free-agency class isn’t stellar or deep. And with teams ready to spend, this means that the number of franchise-tagged players could will be higher than usual.

As the window approaches next month for the application of the tag, we’ll do a franchise-by-franchise look at who’s likely to be slapped with the restriction. If teams will be planning to pump cash into the market, look for teams to do what they can to keep their best impending free agent off it.

In December, NFL Media reported that the league projects the salary cap to land somewhere between $174.2 million and $178.1 million for 2018. One source suggested today that it could exceed $180 million.

Wherever it ends up, the money will be flowing, which means that players who are in the right place at the right time could end up getting even more money than they otherwise would.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There seems to be consistent chatter that salaries are on the rise due to the cap rising and that even pegging deals to those made even a year prior may be outmoded. I think we're gonna be blown away by what people pay for players this year (even mediocre ones).

I believe Tru's gonna get a lot of money.
Joyner will cost us more than a lot of us think on here to keep (if we keep him).
Donald will get a great contract that will begin to look bad in only a year or two.
Franchising Watkins - while not a steal - will prove to be a smart move. (And we may get a multi-year or one year non-franchise deal out of it before it's all said and done).

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
There seems to be consistent chatter that salaries are on the rise due to the cap rising and that even pegging deals to those made even a year prior may be outmoded. I think we're gonna be blown away by what people pay for players this year (even mediocre ones).

Joyner will cost us more than a lot of us think on here to keep (if we keep him).
Donald will get a great contract that will begin to look bad in only a year or two.
Franchising Watkins - while not a steal - will prove to be a smart move. (And we may get a multi-year or one year non-franchise deal out of it before it's all said and done).

I really hope the Rams resign Joyner. He was so important to the defense last year. I have to believe that the Rams are going to make every effort to resign him unless the price is unexpectedly high.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Salary caps of recent years:

$120 million

$120.6 million

$123 million

$133 million

$143.28 million

$155.27 million

$167 million

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless TruJo gives the Rams the home team discount, he's gone...and I am ok with it. I won't be ok with letting Joyner go. They need to sign this kid, which means overpaying for him as the above article suggests

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
The FA class is kind of weak this year. If, IF the Rams really are considering to let Quinn go, they could probably get a great deal in return. I'd say close to the same for Barron.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Cut Barron and Quinn if he won't restructure. Joyner is a must sign IMO. The D is different when he's out. I think he'll be an above average player for the next 2-4 years. I don't know how well he'll hold up though. He seems to always have nagging injuries because of the way he plays. He needs the Barron treatment regiment lol.
I'd offer Tru 4 years 48 Million with a nice GTD bonus and move on. If he stays cool, if not he might sign a Redskins type deal for dumb money and it could help the comp pick situation in 2019.
NRC should get a Kayvon type deal IMO. He plays smart and he doesn't back down to anyone. Reminds me of Antoine Winfield, just smaller than him.
Good CBs cost money unless you can Draft them in succession. When was the last team the Rams did that?? Open up the check book IMO.
With that said, I'd definitely look to draft CBs and mine them in UDFA. I don't think you have to go CB in the first round if Tru leaves. Pick the best player and stay true to the Draft Board.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
On the Kiper Mock 1.0 tonight on ESPN, they talked a lot about Cleveland. Polian said they need another edge rusher badly. Maybe with their cap space and their number of picks, maybe you could get a top 100 pick for Quinn.... I would take an early 4th for him. Could package it with one of our 6th's and get a high 3rd rounder.

They think they may get their QB in FA, by promising that QB that they will take Barkley at #1. An interesting thought. They felt they could turn things around quickly if they can get Cousins.

If they go vet QB, they may be in the market to add more vets to help that young team. Kind of what the Rams did last year. So maybe Barron could be an option as well.