PFT and MMQB conference championship game picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/19/pfts-conference-championship-game-picks-5/

PFT’s conference championship game picks
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2018

Knotted up with three games to go, the PFT Postseason Picks challenge will definitely have a leader come Sunday night. We disagree on one of the two games to be played on Sunday.

For the picks in both of the Conference Championship games, keep reading. And then keep counting the hours and minutes until a pair of excellent games get started on Sunday afternoon.

Last week, MDS was 3-1, and I went 2-2. The difference? He believed in the Eagles. Even if he no longer does.
---------------------------------
Jaguars at Patriots

MDS’s take: Last week everyone dismissed the Jaguars’ chances of winning in Pittsburgh, and this week everyone is dismissing the Jaguars’ chances of winning in New England. I think Jacksonville is a better team than people give it credit for, but the difference this week is that Bill Belichick and his staff will have a better game plan than Mike Tomlin and his staff had last week.

The way to beat the Jaguars is to run the ball and stop the run, and I think the Patriots’ game plan will be heavily focused on that. Tom Brady had 53 passes last week. He won’t have anything close to that this week, as the Patriots will win the game on the ground and head to yet another Super Bowl.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 30, Jaguars 20.

Florio’s take: The Jaguars have the defense to slow down the Patriots, with a strong rush coming up the middle and man-to-man coverage behind it. Tight end Rob Gronkowski is the X-factor, but the Broncos beat the Patriots two years ago in this round, and Gronk had eight catches for 144 yards and a touchdown. Offensively, however, the Jaguars may not be able to match the Patriots.

Coach Bill Belichick will implement a game plan aimed at taking away running back Leonard Fournette, which will require quarterback Blake Bortles to make a big throw in a big spot, eventually. If he can’t, the Jaguars won’t win. (Of course, this analysis is premised on Tom Brady playing quarterback for the Patriots. If he can’t play due to that hand injury, or if he’s clearly impaired, the Jaguars could end up with the ticket to Minnesota.)

Florio’s pick: Patriots 24, Jaguars 16.
------------------------------------------
Vikings at Eagles

MDS’s take: The Vikings’ defense had a late-game letdown that nearly cost them the game against the Saints, and it all happened after safety Andrew Sendejo suffered a concussion. Sendejo appears ready to go for Sunday, which should boost a good Minnesota defense. On the other side of the ball, I think Case Keenum will keep playing good football as he has all year, and he’ll lead Minnesota to a Super Bowl on its home field.

MDS’s pick: Vikings 24, Eagles 20.

Florio’s take: Flip a coin, throw a dart, light a match. I’ve gone back and forth on this one all week. At the end of Friday’s PFT Live, I had to finally pick a winner. I blurted out the Eagles. It could be a mistake (hardly my first), but home-field advantage is the difference in this one. If the game were being played in Minnesota, the Vikings would win easily; in Philly, it’s going to be a close, grind-it-out game that eventually wears down Minnesota’s defense and offensive line, allowing the Eagles to make that one key play needed to win the game.

The best hope for the Vikings? Come out of the gates hot, pressuring (and demoralizing) Eagles quarterback Nick Foles and establishing a double-digit lead, which the Vikings have done many times this year (10 games saw the Vikings build leads of 16 points or more). Quarterbacks like Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford, and Drew Brees were able to carve into those margins. Nick Foles wouldn’t be, if it comes to that.

Based on 45 years of following the NFL closely (old), and witnessing the Vikings coming up short in a big spot again and again and again, the home team gets the edge — and the Eagles secure the right to lose in the Super Bowl. Unless they can get the Super Bowl moved to Philadelphia.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 16, Vikings 13.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.si.com/nfl-expert-game-picks-peter-king-sports-illustrated-mmqb-staff

Picking the games for straight-up winners this season . . .

Andrew Brandt, Business of Football Columnist
Jonathan Jones, Staff Writer
Peter King, Editor-In-Chief
Bette Marston, Senior Producer
Mark Mravic, Executive Editor
Jenny Vrentas, Senior Writer

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sure would be nice to see the Jags upset the Cheatriots. But I never underestimate the emperor...

upload_2018-1-19_9-51-42.jpeg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And NE fans wonder why their favorite team is so hated... well, a big part is their smug, condescending, asshole of a head coach.

It's exchanges like this that makes most fans just want them to lose... maybe then, he'll show a little common decency to others - instead of his smug, sarcastic barbs.

Can't stand that MFer.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patrio...-reveal-much-tom-bradys-injury-174948655.html
Here are the Brady-related excerpts from Belichick’s press conference transcript:

Q: Do you have an update on Tom Brady’s status for Sunday?
BB: Yeah, we gave out the injury report yesterday. We’ll update it today.

Q: When Brian Hoyer steps in at practice, as he did yesterday, how does that affect the team’s preparation for the execution that you’re looking for on game day? Do you feel like when he’s in there you’re getting the work that helps you meet that team execution?
BB: Brian does a great job for us – works hard, practices hard. He does a good job.

Q: Has not having Tom on the practice field limited your preparation at all for Jacksonville?
BB: We’re going to continue to get ready for Jacksonville all the way through, up till game time.

Q: Now that Brady is dealing with this injury, do you have any regrets about trading Jimmy Garoppolo?
BB: We’re getting ready for Jacksonville.

Q: Does it look like Brady’s playing status might be a game-time decision?
BB: Today’s Friday.

Q: Given Brady’s injury, did you consider bringing in a third quarterback just in case?
BB: Yeah, we’re going to get ready for Jacksonville, do the best that we can, make the best decisions we can for the team to do that, so that’s what we’re going to do.

Q: How much, if at all, does Brady’s status complicate the game planning process for you at this point?
BB: I don’t know.

Q: What is your level of concern that he’ll be able to perform the functions that he needs to at quarterback?
BB: Yeah, I don’t know. We’ll see.

=========================================================================================
The guy's such a wise ass... I hope they lose... and he can't leave the game fast enough for me.

Go retire, asshole.

(I feel better now...)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Q: Does it look like Brady’s playing status might be a game-time decision?
BB: Today’s Friday.

:rolllaugh:

Belicheat is the best coach in the league at subtly flipping off the media and disregarding their questions. It's why they've always detested him, starting back in Cleveland, it's just that he wins so much now they can't pull him down. I can't stand the dude due to his cheating, BS win over us in 2001, however I do like his style in flustering the press.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:rolllaugh:

Belicheat is the best coach in the league at subtly flipping off the media and disregarding their questions. It's why they've always detested him, starting back in Cleveland, it's just that he wins so much now they can't pull him down. I can't stand the dude due to his cheating, BS win over us in 2001, however I do like his style in flustering the press.
He could be respectful... I don't know if it'll ever happen... but I hope he has his day when he's not as successful and has to deal with the media.