PFF's ReFo: Packers @ Rams, Preseason Week 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ReFo: Packers @ Rams, Preseason Week 2

By John Breitenbach | August 17, 2014

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/17/refo-packers-rams-preseason-week-2/

Despite the positives this wasn’t a great day for Jeff Fisher’s defense. With the preseason caveat applied, their front seven looked particularly vulnerable to the run in significant contrast to last season. Extended action for Aaron Donald and Ray Ray Armstrong will have left Rams fans hoping for the rapid return of James Laurinaitis and Michael Brockers. The secondary didn’t look much better with rookie Lamarcus Joyner looking like he needs more time to transition. In contrast to the seven defensive starts ending up with red-graded games for the Rams, the Packers had just one in Sam Shields. The linebackers in particular had good games, combining for a combined grade of +5.2.

St Louis – Three Performances of Note

Better from Bradford

Could this be the year Sam Bradford (+2.0) finally steps into that “top quarterback” group? He may well find it has to be, or he won’t be guaranteed the spot next year. The good news is he looked more aggressive downfield and had the accuracy to go with the intent. A beautiful throw to his receiver in stride on a post route (Q2, 12.36) was encouraging, as was the touchdown toss on the same series between two levels in a place only his teammate could get it (Q2, 8:07). He also seemed calmer under pressure, completing three of five rushed attempts for 50 yards. It was only 20 snaps but progress appears to have been made.

Rookie Woe for Robinson

Greg Robinson (-3.6) had something of a rude awakening in this one. Starting this game at left tackle he couldn’t handle Julius Peppers’ experience, giving up a hit to the former Bear (Q2, 11.18). Other than that he also gave up a hurry in his 18 pass- blocking snaps (-0.9). His issues in the run game were more significant, however, with a lowlight coming in the second quarter (9:06) where he showed poor technique to allow a tackle for loss. That play was subsequently followed by a holding call at the second level which detracted from his grade further and the former Auburn star will be disappointed he didn’t get into better position against the safety (Q2, 3:26). Overall, his struggles culminated in a -2.8 grade.

Linebackers Still A Concern

With Laurinaitis’ injury, Jeff Fisher has to be concerned about the state of his linebackers. Alec Ogletree (-1.2) still looks light weight against the run, struggling with guards at the second level in particular. JoLonn Dunbar (-0.5) doesn’t fill you with a huge amount of confidence, either, while Armstrong (-3.3) proved a disaster. The former hurricane actually improved on his Week 1 showing (-4.5) but was still pushed around easily in the run game and also graded negatively in coverage and as a pass rusher. The trio of backups don’t seem like they could step in if needed, with only Lawrence Wilson recording a positive grade.

Game Notes

- The Packers finished with a +7.7 run blocking grade.

- In 25 rushes, the Rams’ starting defensive end of Robert Quinn and Chris Long picked up just the solitary hurry

- Ethan Westbrooks and Michael Sam each picked up a sack, hit and hurry

PFF Game Ball

As it’s the preseason, I feel like I’m allowed to pick the punter so congratulations Johnny Hekker (+3.8).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I watched the game again last night and it just didn't look like our D (Quinn and Long particularly) were playing anywhere near full speed. They seemed to be going through the motions to me. Maybe they are saving the live ammo for the 3-4th game for all I know. Donald is quickly realizing that you cannot just blow by guys at this level...ad if you do, they may have just baited you into it. He will figure that stuff out and be fine I think. The group I worry most about is those LBs......especially Ray Ray. We do NOT want him on the field this season except on STs.....