PFF week 8 grades Rams vs Whiners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/02/sf-stl-grades-rams-defense-leads-the-way-in-win/
Here are the top takeaways and highest-graded players from the Rams’ 27-6 win over the 49ers.

San Francisco 49ers
– QB Colin Kaepernick (-6.5) continued to showcase his inability to get anything going offensively. His passing grade of -8.1 was the lowest of the week by a long shot. He rarely attempted passes that traveled 10+ yards in the air, and when he did, he struggled, completing only 2-of-11 for 49 yards. Kaepernick was under pressure on 36 percent of his dropbacks, and was a mere 3-for-13 for 12 yards when under pressure. He did finish with a positive rushing grade, but that’s never been an issue for Kaepernick. His throws were all over the place in this game, and at this point, it’s worth questioning if he really gives the 49ers the best chance to win.

– CB Tramaine Brock (+1.0) had a good day in pass coverage, finishing with a coverage grade of +1.7. He was targeted five times, but allowed only two completions for 14 yards. He also had a beautiful pass breakup. S Jaquiski Tartt (+2.9) also had a solid day for the 49ers’ defense, finishing with a team-high grade. He finished with a +1.9 in coverage, thanks to a couple of big stops for minimal gain, and a forced fumble. He also had a positive run defense grade. Overall, the 49ers had solid pass defense on the day, allowing the Rams to complete only 14-of-22 attempts for 206 yards and one touchdown.

– The 49ers’ offensive line looked completely overmatched the entire game against a strong Rams’ defensive line. Only one offensive lineman had a positive grade: T Erik Pears (+0.3). It was a rough day for G Alex Boone (-6.8), who allowed two QB hits and two pressures, and was blown up multiple times in the run game. Same goes for G Jordan Devey (-5.8). The 49ers’ rushing attack finished with a paltry 18 yards on 17 attempts, and much of that was due to the poor offensive line play.

Top Performers:

S Jaquiski Tartt (+2.9)
OLB Corey Lemonier (+1.2)
CB Kenneth Acker (+1.1)
TE Vance McDonald (+1.1)
CB Tramaine Brock (+1.0)

St. Louis Rams
– The Rams’ defensive line stole the show in this one, led by DT Aaron Donald (+6.6) and DE Robert Quinn (+6.1). They were all over the field making plays, especially when it came to rushing the passer. By the end of the game, the two had combined for a sack, four QB hits, and six hurries. But they also were stout against the run, finishing with +2.6 and +1.8 run defense grades, respectively. After a few weeks of below-average (by their standards) play, this game was more what everyone is used to seeing from these two star players.

– RB Todd Gurley (+1.5) showed his speed on his 71-yard touchdown run, where he went untouched thanks to him absolutely exploding through the hole and outrunning the second-level defenders of the 49ers—all the way to the end zone. But take away that run, and the 49ers’ defense held him to only 62 yards on 19 attempts. He didn’t get much help from his offensive line, as they finished with a combined -12.7 grade, including -9.6 when it came to run blocking. Offensively, the Rams were not great, as they struggled to move the ball, aside from their two long-touchdown plays.

– It was a great day in coverage for the Rams’ trio of S Mark Barron (+4.0), LB Akeem Ayers (+2.0), and CB Janoris Jenkins (+3.4). Barron was targeted eight times, but allowed only three receptions for 19 yards. He also had one pass breakup. Ayers only saw four targets, and allowed two of them to be caught, for a mere 4 yards. But it was his three passes defended (he had one when he wasn’t the primary coverage) that gave him his team-high +3.9 coverage grade. Finally, Jenkins was targeted five times, and allowed just one catch for 3 yards, and a pass defended. It was a good day for a unit that allowed only 162 yards on 39 attempts.

Top Performers:

DT Aaron Donald (+6.6)
DE Robert Quinn (+6.1)
S Mark Barron (+4.0)
CB Janoris Jenkins (+3.4)
LB Akeem Ayers (+2.0)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
DE Robert Quinn (+6.1)
And this was against supposedly the best lineman on the field for the 9ers....He did look like he was playing possessed...Donald & Brockers too...Hell the whole D-Line was in a frenzy...These grades also showed me that Fairley & Ayers are getting more comfortable....They looked, from my eyes, they were playing faster:yess:....

Seemed like the 9ers had a bunch of guys in the box....all to stop Gurley...and we just ran right at it...no audibles...no passes to take advantage of this...So this negative O-Line assessment...meh...PFF-PFFing....Who's to blame when you run directly into a 8 man box? The line of course...

Thanks for posting this so soon Alan;)(y)..I'm kinda curious, what was Foles grade?:sneaky:

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LACHAMP46 looking for more:
Seemed like the 9ers had a bunch of guys in the box....all to stop Gurley...and we just ran right at it...no audibles...no passes to take advantage of this...So this negative O-Line assessment...meh...PFF-PFFing....Who's to blame when you run directly into a 8 man box? The line of course...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/12/stl-gb-grades-packers-defense-smothers-foles-rams/
"St. Louis Rams
– DT Aaron Donald (+1.3) has definitely cooled off a bit after what was a ridiculously hot start. While this game was still positively-graded for him, thanks to three QB hurries and three solo stops, it wasn’t quite like some of his last few games. The Packers really schemed around him this week, double-teaming him seemingly every play, and running away from him every chance they could. They did a very good job of limiting the damage he could cause, and forcing the rest of the Rams’ defense to try and beat them.

– QB Nick Foles (-8.4) was dreadful this week, posting a -7.0 passing grade along with two delay of game penalties. He struggled under pressure, which is unfortunate since he was under pressure on 61 percent of his dropbacks. There, he went 5-for-17 for 110 yards and two interceptions. On his 13 attempts without pressure, he averaged a miniscule 2.4 yards per attempt, and also threw two interceptions. Even when you take away his throwaways, a spike and a time where he was hit as he threw, he still only completed 45.8% of his passes on the day. On a day where the defense came up big against a strong Packers’ offense, Foles really cost the Rams this game.

– The Rams’ offensive line was not doing Foles or their running game any favors this week. LG Jamon Brown was the worst of the bunch, posting a team-low grade of -8.7. That was thanks in large part to a -5.7 grade against the run. He was constantly beaten by the Packers’ interior defensive line, and rarely won any blocking battles. As a whole, the offensive line allowed three sacks, nine QB hits and nine additional hurries. The lone bright spot was RG Garrett Reynolds, who posted a +2.1 run block grade coming on in relief of injured RG Rodger Saffold (-5.1). Saffold managed to allow a QB hit and three QB hurries despite only being on the field for nine passing plays before being injured."

I'm not going to get into another conversation about PFF but I don't see how our play calling (which I detested and remarked on during the game) has anything to do with a player (at any position) not doing his job correctly. That's not how PFF grades. If you don't block out the guy in front of you does it matter if there are 8 in the box or just 1? If you successfully move the guy in front of you and one of those other 7 guys immediately moves in to replace him and the play goes for little or no gain you still get graded positively. The defensive strategy and our lack of compensation for it only affects the end results of each play.

On a related note, I'm beginning to think that Fisher is playing a much bigger part in the play selection than I thought. It's pretty obvious to me that Cignetti wasn't responsible for the "prevent offense" (I just made that up and the "prevent" refers turnovers) we employed in the second half. The more I see of Fisher the more I think he's an 8-8 HC. I'm not giving Cignetti a free pass though because by my count, we only passed on 1st down three times in the first half. All of which should have been successful. Though my memory could be betraying me.

Last edited:

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
oh no Gurley only had 62 yards if you take away his big run! how about the fact that Gurley was benched for the 4th quarter you stupid fucks. know what's happening in the game before you throw out a bunch of stupid numbers

Alan

Legend
Robocop suffering from a programming virus:
oh no Gurley only had 62 yards if you take away his big run! how about the fact that Gurley was benched for the 4th quarter
I don't believe you're understanding the point the writer is trying to make. He's referring to that fact that he only averaged 3.26 yds per attempt on his other carries. Not to mention the fact that so many of those yards came on incredible extra efforts by Gurley even though there was no hole at all. Have a cup of decaf bro. ;)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny... I thought the Oline played decently.

Guess I was wrong. Kinda depressing... thanks a lot, Alan. :LOL:

As far as Fisher's "input", I've always believed he's a control freak when situations allow it.

I make that distinction because I don't think he's providing much input to Williams at all. Now, granted, they are doing great... but I'd bet Fisher stayed out of the defense early last year when they were struggling.

Why? Because he and Williams are old buds and Williams would tell him to get the hell out of his meetings!! :ROFLMAO:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Funny... I thought the Oline played decently.

Guess I was wrong. Kinda depressing... thanks a lot, Alan. :LOL:

As far as Fisher's "input", I've always believed he's a control freak when situations allow it.

I make that distinction because I don't think he's providing much input to Williams at all. Now, granted, they are doing great... but I'd bet Fisher stayed out of the defense early last year when they were struggling.

Why? Because he and Williams are old buds and Williams would tell him to get the hell out of his meetings!! :ROFLMAO:
Don't let these grades take away what you saw. The eye test, is always the best test.;)

Alan

Legend
They did do a better job pass blocking. -12.7 overall and -9.6 in run blocking means they got a -3.1 in pass blocking. Probably their best score this season @Rmfnlt .
Next thing you know they'll be at 0.0 (average). If the Rams O-line could get a 0.0 score for both the pass and run blocking we'd be in the SB. The longest journey begins with the first step.

Plus, like the good @DR RAM said, they looked pretty good to me. Comparatively speaking.

TexasRam

Legend
What we are seeing is a defense that has a bunch of young guys coming into their own and maturing. Jenks McLeod Johnson Barron Brockers all have sharpened their games and found their potential.

Jamon Brown has been less then expected. How bout try wickmann or one of the other guards? Our offensive line has to get better. The individual parts aren't winning their battles. Barnes and Reynolds withstanding.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They did do a better job pass blocking. -12.7 overall and -9.6 in run blocking means they got a -3.1 in pass blocking. Probably their best score this season @Rmfnlt .
Next thing you know they'll be at 0.0 (average). If the Rams O-line could get a 0.0 score for both the pass and run blocking we'd be in the SB. The longest journey begins with the first step.

Plus, like the good @DR RAM said, they looked pretty good to me. Comparatively speaking.
I feel like they are making some strides, albeit small strides.

Obviously, Gurley and the line are productive... can they be more productive? Man, that's be something special!

Just need to give Foles a tad more time... ya know, for those crappy WRs and TEs to shake the defenders... I'm thinking 3 minutes ought to do it fore Foles? :ROFLMAO:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
From Steve Palozzolo of PFF on Greg Robinson ... I noticed it several times on Sunday, and really since he got here. Robinson's strength was supposed to be run blocking and he needed to work on Pass blocking, but his run blocking has left a lot to be desired.
With all due respect, who the hell is Steve Palozzolo? A failed minor league pitcher now thinks he's the authority in a sport he never played? Bah, no sale. I trust your opinion as a long time Rams fan much more when it comes to evaluating our players, whether or not it happens to coincide with what some money-making scam site says.

Alan

Legend
BTW @LACHAMP46 I'm still looking to get you the grades on Foles performance against the Whiners. PFF hasn't released it yet for free access but I'm looking every day.

Alan

Legend
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/02/best-players-at-every-position-for-week-8/
Six Patriots made our Team of the Week after a big performance on Thursday Night Football. Who else posted games worthy of the roster?

Let’s find out.

Quarterback: Tom Brady, Patriots (+7.6)

Wait, what? No Drew Brees? While Brees posted some eye-popping numbers, it was the brilliance of Brady (with pressure flying at him) that was a true sight to behold. The Patriots’ quarterback is playing as well as he ever has.

Running back: Latavius Murray, Raiders (+2.3)

The Raider finished with 113 yards after forcing four missed tackles to emphasize why he’s the deserved starter in Oakland.

Fullback: Zach Line, Vikings (+3.1)

The Vikings continue to produce fine lead blockers for Adrian Peterson.

Tight end: Rob Gronkowski, Patriots (+1.5)

The unstoppable Gronkowski had another touchdown and was simply too much for Miami to deal with, as he ended the day with 113 yards.

Wide receivers: Julian Edelman, Patriots (+4.3) and Demaryius Thomas, Broncos (+3.6)

It’s not just about yardage, and Edelman’s efforts on Thursday Night Football proved that. Thomas was at his best in feasting on the Packers’ secondary.

Tackles: Anthony Castonzo, Colts (+7.8) and Kyle Long, Bears (+3.3)

Beaten for just the one sack on an incredible 55 pass blocks, Castonzo surpassed the competition with some excellent work in the run game. On the right side, it was a nice effort from Long, who is starting to look like more than a makeshift tackle with his quality displays.

Guards: Jeff Allen, Chiefs (+5.1) and Ali Marpet, Buccaneers (+6.5)

There was a time when you wouldn’t see guards dominating Detroit the way Allen did. Not any more. Over in Atlanta, Marpet let loose with the best game of his career, really pulverizing the Falcons with his run blocking.

Center: Matt Slauson, Bears (+2.6)

The Bears, as we mentioned earlier, have had to move some pieces around on the line, so it must be refreshing to see how well guys like Slauson are doing when presented with a totally different challenge.

Each week we put forward a hybrid defense that features two edge rushers (4-3 defensive ends or 3-4 outside linebackers), three players on the “interior” of the defensive line (3-4 defensive ends or defensive tackles) and two linebackers (all inside linebackers and 4-3 outside linebackers).

Defensive interior – ends: J.J. Watt, Texans (+14.9) and Aaron Donald, Rams (+6.6)

There are times when you really need to protect your rookie lineman; having J.J. Watt as the opposition is a great example of such an instance. He wreaked havoc to the tune of three sacks, four hits, and three more hurries in a dominant effort. Donald wasn’t quite at that level, but he still ensured the 49ers’ interior line won’t have much fun reviewing the tape this morning.

Defensive interior – nose: Michael Brockers, Rams (+1.9)

With Brockers spending 27 of his snaps either shading or head-on from the center, we feel comfortable with him at this position—especially after he added three defensive stops in the run game.

Edge rushers: Khalil Mack, Raiders (+7.0) and Cameron Jordan, Saints (+6.8)

Greg Hardy is a little unlucky to not make the team, but the pure pass-rushing brilliance of Jordan earned him the nod. Eight hurries got lost in the score-fest that was the Giants’ trip to Louisiana, but it was a remarkable effort. Each week, Mack just goes about his business—and each week, we’re impressed. He’s spearheading the Raiders’ return to relevance.

Linebackers: Jerrell Freeman, Colts (+7.2) and Luke Kuechly, Panthers (+6.5)

Monday Night Football was a showcase for two of the best linebacker performances we’ve seen all year. Freeman was a menace in the run game with Kuechly dominant all over the field. It was fitting one of them would make the games defining play.

Cornerbacks: Richard Sherman, Seahawks (+5.1) and Janoris Jenkins, Rams (+3.4)

It hasn’t been his best season so far, but Sherman showed he hasn’t lost a step. Thrown at five times, he allowed just one reception and broke up the other four passes. Jenkins is quietly having his best season yet, and this was his highest-graded performance on a year that has seen him earn positive scores in each game.

Safeties: Roman Harper, Panthers (+4.2) and Kurt Coleman, Panthers (+4.2)

It doesn’t get much better for a team when their safeties play like this. The two were thrown at a combined seven times and walked away allowing just 28 yards after deflecting three passes and intercepting another.

Kicker: Justin Tucker, Ravens

Is there any player you’d trust more than Tucker to kick a game-winner?

Punter: Johnny Hekker, Rams

You almost feel bad for the ball when Hekker charges that leg up.

Returner: Marcus Sherels, Vikings

He didn’t have a lot to do, but boy, did he do it well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ali Marpet, Buccaneers (+6.5)

................... Over in Atlanta, Marpet let loose with the best game of his career, really pulverizing the Falcons with his run blocking.
I really liked this guy in the draft....Loved his senior bowl & combine.... I liked Chris Long's brother coming out too.....

How did a DE in a 6-7 td game, get any recognition? Seriously?

And all this Khalil Mack...Mack this, Mack that....Man I barely see him on the field....Until he perfects a spin move, or a swim move...and starts getting like, actual sacks, batted balls....something....Matter of fact, stand him up like a LB and lets see what he really can do....I mean, how many tackles does he have?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BTW @LACHAMP46 I'm still looking to get you the grades on Foles performance against the Whiners. PFF hasn't released it yet for free access but I'm looking every day.
Here's the whole offense's.

thyqMNZ.jpg

Alan

Legend
Havenstein looked solid.

Reynolds didn't fail often but when he did he didn't half step. 1 QB hit and 2 hurries.