PFF: Unbelievable Rams offensive depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
2 points:
  1. Long is listed as "good"
  2. PFF right an article on how TJ McDonald was the best SS in the league per their grading system over the second half of last season, then release an article with him listed as "average" :confused:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
There are a few I think should be "good" not sure any fall into "high quality" though an argument can be made (with Cook probably being the one to make it for). Do think several players are too low (Robinson).

Did not look at D thought the complaint was O....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
PFF doesn't even think highly of our D...

Robert Quinn isn't Elite? Chris Long is only Good?

And on offense, we can debate a lot of positions, but c'mon.. Nick Foles is BELOW AVERAGE???

Below average...just...

qPpbxah.gif

V3

Hall of Fame
What did any of the Rams offensive players do last year that would qualify them as being good on offense? They were average at best.

What this doesn't show is upside. Once that's factored in, it would look much different.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It just means that when the Rams make a lot of noise this year - on both ends - PFF will be shown to be the amateurs who haven't actually coached or played the sport that they are.

V3

Hall of Fame

And on offense, we can debate a lot of positions, but c'mon.. Nick Foles is BELOW AVERAGE???

Below average...just...

qPpbxah.gif
They go by last year's data. Last year, Quinn wasn't elite and Foles wasn't that great.

Like I said in my previous post, this doesn't factor in upside, though. That means many of our players can easily go higher.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

Below average...just...

qPpbxah.gif

Foles:
2012, awful
2014, awful
2013, awesome

I don't think below average is unfair.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 points:
  1. Long is listed as "good"
  2. PFF right an article on how TJ McDonald was the best SS in the league per their grading system over the second half of last season, then release an article with him listed as "average" :confused:
Well, if he started out slow but then came on... isn't is reasonable to say he had an average year overall?

The Rams acquired Fairley who they say is "good", Ayers, who they say is "average" and Foles, who they say is "below average" (which he was last year).

The rest of the team resulted in a 6-10 record.

And all that is left after that is rookies.

So, while it's not flattering and I don't ever like seeing articles like this, I have to be honest with myself and say we haven't earned much to say the roster is filled with "Good" or "Elite" players.

Hoping this is the year a bunch of these guys take that leap from "average" to "good" or "below average" to "average".

That should be good enough for the playoffs!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They go by last year's data. Last year, Quinn wasn't elite and Foles wasn't that great.

Like I said in my previous post, this doesn't factor in upside, though. That means many of our players can easily go higher.

Any analysis that doesn't factor in year to year fluctuations, and doesn't factor in reasonably expected improvement, is pretty much worthless. It's not really analysis at all, just "This is the (flawed) grade we gave the player last season, ignoring anything that might have affected it negatively or positively, and ignoring any actual thought process (which analysis requires)".

Can you tell I'm NOT a fan of PFF? I just haven't seen any particular reason to believe any of their so called analyses.

V3

Hall of Fame
Any analysis that doesn't factor in year to year fluctuations, and doesn't factor in reasonably expected improvement, is pretty much worthless. It's not really analysis at all, just "This is the (flawed) grade we gave the player last season, ignoring anything that might have affected it negatively or positively, and ignoring any actual thought process (which analysis requires)".

Can you tell I'm NOT a fan of PFF? I just haven't seen any particular reason to believe any of their so called analyses.
I agree. It really doesn't mean anything. I do, however, put at least a little stock in their grading. It's definitely not perfect but it at least establishes a baseline that is applied equally to every player. Different factors can skew it but I don't think they're far off on most ratings.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Well, if he started out slow but then came on... isn't is reasonable to say he had an average year overall?

If for the first half of the season he was the worst SS in the league, then in the second he was the best, then that would be average. If he was bottom 10 (say 23rd) then that still comes out as above average.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The only things I'd really argue with is saying Quinn was not "elite" - but he had a bit of a down year. I'd have probably said Cook was "good" rather than average as well and perhaps McDonald above average rather than average. Apart from that I can't complain. We've got to prove it on the field first. D looks stacked though! No weaknesses there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The only things I'd really argue with is saying Quinn was not "elite" - but he had a bit of a down year. I'd have probably said Cook was "good" rather than average as well and perhaps McDonald above average rather than average. Apart from that I can't complain. We've got to prove it on the field first. D looks stacked though! No weaknesses there.

Quinn is not elite but every single coach in this league would love to have him on their team. PFF grading is. Nonsense.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The point is that these guys in the media can present data to support their thesis. Want to show that the Rams are an average or below average team, then present the data in such a way as to support that. These are not objective anlyses, and include assumptions that are reflective of th aauthori's perceptions.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Quinn is not elite but every single coach in this league would love to have him on their team. PFF grading is. Nonsense.

I get that because he didn't have 19 sacks last year - but if he gets over 12/13 again this year I'd argue he's very, very much elite.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Nick Foles was NOT "awful" in 2014.

That's just categorically false. He played behind an OL that was a mess almost from the start and it showed. He was a weapon down from 2013 and still posted decent numbers and a 6-2 record while that D wasn't all that great, either.

I can understand not drinking the kool-aid, but there's no need to endorse PFF's urine as a solid brew with a fragrant bouquet.

Last year Quinn wasn't elite? He may not have had the stats, but then again, do we need to repost how many holding calls he DIDN'T get in the first five weeks? I mean it looked like NBA refereeing back there.

If PFF's stats were solid, then they could be used for analytics and over time, they could model which players would be better values. They have enough data now that they could SELL that data to teams. THAT would be worth a TON of money to teams.

Rest assured, they do NOT have that data and their stats do NOT hold up. Not contextually, not analytically and not statistically. Hell, the stats aren't even uniform as they have multiple people performing analyses with varying degrees of biases.

PFF grades can be helpful as a FAN based fantasy tool, but it's just not a professional tool. I'm sure teams look at it as a cheap way to survey players, but I can't imagine any FO worth a damn trusting PFF grades to make personnel decisions or even as a deciding factor.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Problem with PFF is anyone can take a roster from a 7-9 team and do that. And it's not worth reading for that reason.

Actually projecting players is what they should be providing to the average fan, helping them to find the median between Kool-Aid drinking and not being able to see past last year's results. They don't do that of course, and really very few do nowadays.

PFF is garbage IMO. If I want to know what my team was last year even though I struggled through watching every snap, I'll read their unimaginative drivel.

Alan

Legend
RAGRam only looking at one side of the coin:

PFF right an article on how TJ McDonald was the best SS in the league per their grading system over the second half of last season, then release an article with him listed as "average"
I think they're not forgetting the first half of the season. For the season as a whole they were average. In their (PFF) minds of course. When they've played really good for a whole year they'll be rated as good or better.

I agree with most of their rankings though. They have us with a lot of good players on our D and one elite player. It's kind of deceiving though because many of them were still learning their positions and their play after they achieved that is more representative of how good they are. But tajken as a whole, I agree with most of them.