PFF: The Secret Superstars On Every NFL Roster: Rams - Maurice Alexander

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
His coverage was the biggest leap in performance, and he notched two interceptions while allowing no scores when in primary coverage from his safety spot.

The way PFF grades players is wacky. Against the Falcons in week 14, Taylor Gabriel scored on an approx. 60 yd TD pass. Alexander was the single High Safety on the play and Gabriel ran right by him on the way to the end zone. The announcer on TV even alluded to the fact that the Safety blew the coverage. So, yes, he did give up a score.

The play is at the 3:38 mark of the video highlite.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEoB906LRIQ

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Another TD given up when Alexander was the last line of defense ..... First play of the highlite...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdEowUnBbc&t=9s

Yeah, but that's not pass coverage though. He gave up a few rushing TDs. Watch the saints highlights. About that play, 4th and 1, someone missed their assignment, Tru not setting the edge. No excuses Mo should've made that tackle, but if the ball carrier reaches the last line of defense on 4th and 1 someone messed up.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You guys still crack me up claiming to know better than Wade Phillips :)
Well, someone once said, Paul Boudreau was an excellent line coach, a great teacher of the game....People have called Williams an excellent defensive coach...innovator. I've heard people call Mangini "Man-genius"....I saw Nick Saban as a coach of the Miami Dolphins...and I'm sure, before every one of them had terrible seasons, they were above reproach....criticism....skepticism....If all of these football minds were so powerful, they'd be brain surgeons...not coaches.

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to coach Von Miller....DeMarco Ware...Robey...Chris Harris...Aquib Talib...I think anyone can coach JJ Watt....and I bet anyone would look good coaching Aaron Donald, Ogletree....

I think it's gonna take a genius to make LaMarcus Joyner look good....at any position. So, he'll get his chance to move up on the Belichick scale of genius, above reproach...no doubts...no questioning....

Until then
I'm not saying I "know better"....I'd just like to hear a couple opinions on what the hell he's thinking.
Cause
I don't know what the hell son of bum is thinking moving Joyner to FS...I don't care how good he looked in college...I don't think he looked all that good at FSU anyway.

This is a MO thread anyway...laugh at guys that wonder what the hell Son of Bum is thinking....(y)

Enjoy your 4th ole school....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Those critical plays missed may indicate why Wade is moving Mo up closer to the LOS. I have always believed that Mo best position in the NFL was @ Strong Safety not high safety. Same thought on Joyner. Both of these safeties in their final 4th season is just magic music to my old ears!
Typically when players make the switch to FS from corner, they are usually one of the TOP corners at their position for some years. Rod & Charles Woodson...and Aeneas as you named. I'm curious, why do YOU think Joyner will find so much success with this move? This is a guy that has a career of 9 pass breakups....No interceptions...and while he's shown to be a reliable tackler, that's primarily receivers that have just caught a pass on him. It will be quite a bit different against TE's and RB's.

My like for LJ came from being around Florida football. In HS LJ was named USA Today's National Defensive Player of the Year. As you know I am about an hour & half away from FSU & having many family members in Tallahassee area LJ was talked about a lot. I also was involved in watching so many FSU games where LJ was a star DB player. LJ IMO was a leader for a national champion team. I thought his best play came when he started @ both safety positions. LJ was forced to play boundary corner & the Nickel post his senior season when he was a Jim Thorpe Award finalist in '13 at the same yr LJ's sack total ranked first among NCAA defensive backs.

Your also aware now for several season my desires were to see LJ moved to high safety post. I am glad to see Wade & I are thinking a lot a like on LJ's best position & that LJ has off the scale special intangibles when he is placed in the right position @ the right time for the right reason! Thank you Wade :bow:. IMO LJ will make Wade look even better!;)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So we are going to have a strong safety that can cover this year?

That will be different.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My like for LJ came from being around Florida football.
I got you now....

I will say this, from watching practice...live...he brings something different in terms of intensity....every rep...this should be interesting to say the least.

As a comparison, what did you think of Jalen Ramsey? How about that lil corner we tried out and cut....think his name was Reid? Remember him?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm excited at the prospect of Mo and Joyner at the safety positions. I always felt Mo had more upside at SS than T-mac did. I really like Joyner's quickness and aggressiveness. His closing speed on tackles is really good. I can envision him covering sideline to sideline like Earl Thomas.

The only downside I can see is both the safety positions will be guys who are new to their respective positions as far as playing in the NFL. But these guys have good instincts.