PFF: Signature Stats - Tackling Efficiency (Linebackers)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They looked pretty rocking the second half of last year, Giant game aside. But there have been some down spots prior to that for as much talent as they have assembled, I get that. I don't put most of the blame at JL's feet for that myself.

Personally, I'm a lot more angsty about Rodney McLeod.
check this out...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2014.htm

307, 369, 282, 183, 179, 131, 386 (Giants game), 222...That's passing yards the last 8 games...hmm, IDK, what do you think? Oh yeah, here's rushing
28, 28 (Cards & Broncos), 128, 61, 27, 143, 128, 132.....the last 3 games....Tell me what really looked good? The games vs the Cards, Skins, and Raiders has everyone screaming from the mountain top, our defense has turned it around, we're top 5 ready...Really? Those teams (Cards, Skins, Raiders) offenses were putrid at that point of the season...just last year...I don't think ONE player has that much of an impact, most times....But a truly transcendent player, a Bobby Wagner...a..well, @-X- says don't compare them to top of the food chain types, so I won't. At this position, to truly make an impact, to take a team to another level, you need a Quinn, Donald or C. Long type...not the best, but definitely a difference maker.

Rodney McLeod is keeping one of our best players, Mark Barron on the bench....I don't wanna get started on him. Hope he can improve his play....

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
check this out...

307, 369, 282, 183, 179, 131, 386 (Giants game), 222...That's passing yards the last 8 games...hmm, IDK, what do you think? Oh yeah, here's rushing
28, 28 (Cards & Broncos), 128, 61, 27, 143, 128, 132.....the last 3 games....Tell me what really looked good? The games vs the Cards, Skins, and Raiders has everyone screaming from the mountain top, our defense has turned it around, we're top 5 ready...Really? Those teams (Cards, Skins, Raiders) offenses were putrid at that point of the season...just last year...I don't think ONE player has that much of an impact, most times....But a truly transcendent player, a Bobby Wagner...a..well, @-X- says don't compare them to top of the food chain types, so I won't. At this position, to truly make an impact, to take a team to another level, you need a Quinn, Donald or C. Long type...not the best, but definitely a difference maker.

Rodney McLeod is keeping one of our best players, Mark Barron on the bench....I don't wanna get started on him. Hope he can improve his play....

Seems to me like over the last seven, the only game where the yardage led to the kind of scores that didn't support the offense was the Giant game though.

Because we couldn't stop OBJ.

Yeah, they beat competition they were supposed to. Isn't that better than the alternative? What of Denver?

Isn't pitching two shutouts in a row, regardless of the quality of the offense, pretty impressive? This is the NFL, not the out of conference schedule for a college football team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
a..well, @-X- says don't compare them to top of the food chain types, so I won't.
I never said that. In fact, I said the opposite.
That's what I'm gonna be doing from now on whenever our guys fall short.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
A lot of people are set in their ways, even if you disprove every argument they have about JL55 and his contributions to the defense they will continue to believe that he's solely responsible for our defenses woes and it will always just come down to he's still not 'doing enough'. There's really no changing that.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I really never realized JL was such a lightning rod before a little while ago. But if I follow the logic, I'm going to have to change the way I talk about this team. Ima have to call out Saffold because he's not Marshal Yanda, and call out Quick/Britt because they're not Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson, and call out Brockers because he's not Gerald McCoy, and call out Foles because he's not Brady, and call out Cook because he's not Gronkowski, and so on. I mean, gosh, our whole team is comprised of players who have superior peers in the NFL right now.
Awesome post.

[rant] Don't want to take away from it with my personal aside, but it actually doesn't bother me when people compare Rams to other players *unless it's 49ers*. Then I barf. Like the constant Patrick Willis envy whenever JL is mentioned. Barf. Articles have shown JL's production has always been statistically as good or better than Willis... I personally posted JL "stuffs" more plays than Willis ever did... and if a physically limited college LB like Borland can instantly do the exact same thing, it shows how overrated Willis was because of scheme... But I digress and don't want to bog down into discussing Whiners here.

The main point is this is a Rams fan board, the one place in the universe I hope to *not* see people stroke off Whiner idiots for a change. If you want to compare JL, do it to Keuchly, or Ray Lewis, or whoever, just make it a non-Niner please (and perhaps non-murderer, doh!). [/rant]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So these young MLB's....Look at the guy in NO (Anthony) and the dude at Tampa (Kwon Alexander) are just so special, definitely not the any ole joe tag? How bout that Borland guy that retired? How about Kuechly? First year starters, at some position supposedly only a math major can handle? and if he is the "leader" of the defense and calls all the signals, I guess he's to blame when we're in the wrong defense? When a coverage looks horrible...Or with the overall results of being 19th (or whatever we rank)in the league in defense...If you want all the credit, accept all the blame too.....
So.... WHO is giving him all the credit? Hyperbole anyone?

Thing is you can say getting a replacement for JL is a high priority. If that is your opinion, that is fine. But many of us have brought up JLs smarts and sure tackling as attributes - not everything it takes to be a great, irreplaceable MLB. Just because many of us don't view that position as a need in the grand scheme of things, doesn't mean we think he is HOF material either. I happen to think he is in the good/very good range as far as 4-3 MLBs go. If I am seeing it that way, it is pretty obvious why I would also put a higher priority on replacing the average or underperforming players in other positions on our team.

Still doesn't mean I wouldn't want the Rams to draft his successor with a high draft pick. I just like how he plays the game and view many of his "short comings" as scheme oriented.

DenverRam

Starter
if Rams ever get an OLB like Von to go with Quinn and Long. Would be amazing. Von by far is one of my favorite players in the league.

lockdnram21

Legend
check this out...

Barron isn't a fs he sucks more then McLeod in coverage. McDonald is keeping him off the field

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its funny how fans from other teams think JL is a pretty good MLB. And Rams fans don't think as highly.

As far as his play, maybe there are a couple of better MLB's out there, but he ain't that bad. We could do a lot worse. He's steady, intelligent and a good leader on the field and in the locker room. I got no complaints.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I keep seeing this argued and I'm curious. Does anyone really believe that James Laurinaitis solely responsible for the Rams defense's woes?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stats... stats you like... stats you don't like... no stats at all.

I've said it beforte and I'll say it again...

James Laurinaitis is the least of this team's problems.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I keep seeing this argued and I'm curious. Does anyone really believe that James Laurinaitis solely responsible for the Rams defense's woes?
Yes there are some who think that out there on the interwebz.