PFF ranks rams roster #29 for 2016 , WTF?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6...r-depth-chart-2016-preview-pro-football-focus

These are the same people that rated Donald as the number 1 player in the nfl. Top 5 players on the rams
Donald
Gurley
Hayes
Quinn
Truuuu

How do 28 other teams have better players? these kind of articles make me wonder about the football intellect of these people.

Those 5 are all top 10-15 players at their position, Donald I say is number 1 Dt, and Gurley is a top 3 back.
Add in Ogletree who was playing great last year before injury, he can be a top 10 Linebacker, add on Tavon who is one of the most explosive players in the whole league.

Any thoughts on this stupidity ?????

WvuIN02

Starter
Reading PFF on the internet is like grabbing a National Enquirer in the line at the grocery store. Clickbait in different forms but the Enquirer is probably better researched.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6...r-depth-chart-2016-preview-pro-football-focus

These are the same people that rated Donald as the number 1 player in the nfl. Top 5 players on the rams
Donald
Gurley
Hayes
Quinn
Truuuu

How do 28 other teams have better players? these kind of articles make me wonder about the football intellect of these people.

Those 5 are all top 10-15 players at their position, Donald I say is number 1 Dt, and Gurley is a top 3 back.
Add in Ogletree who was playing great last year before injury, he can be a top 10 Linebacker, add on Tavon who is one of the most explosive players in the whole league.

You have to keep in mind, this^ is a PFF Ranking, their methods have always been suspect at best!!(y):mrburnsevil:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
im assuming this is based off last years stats, which imo makes it kinda understandable. quinn was hurt and didnt play all that well, lost starting cb and fs, ogletree got hurt and playing new position, oline wasnt great until the final stretch of the season, only 1 productive wr/te last year, rookie QB, etc. 29 is a low but its really hard to make a case for the rams to be much higher based off last season stats and having to predict how good all the new players that will be starting will be. From an objective viewpoint, Id probably think just about as lowly of another team if they were in the same exact position as the Rams this year and I wasnt a fan of said team

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes....Groups/reporters like this make me lose respect for sports reporting in general. They look at chnges/losses of starters without context, as though Fisher was Chip Kelley, dumping talented players for no good reason. I won't go through the reasons why again, because I am bored doing it.....Just fukking ignorant.

Psycho_X

Legend
We were injured a lot last year, had a lot of rookies or second year players on the o-line, and the offense in general was putrid. This season we're relying on a lot of rookies and second year players, especially on offense, and our secondary is mostly unproven despite people thinking we're fine there. I think 29th is a little overkill also but until the Rams show they are more than hope and dreams with a talented d-line I'm not surprised anyone ranks us badly. We all think we have a very talented roster, myself included, but until it shows itself for 16 games a year and makes the playoffs we're just being homers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and don't forget that PFF loved the Rams' draft. It's idiotic tbh.

But whatever. Gonna be fun to see the Rams "suddenly morph" into a great team like they did in '99.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
im assuming this is based off last years stats, which imo makes it kinda understandable. quinn was hurt and didnt play all that well, lost starting cb and fs, ogletree got hurt and playing new position, oline wasnt great until the final stretch of the season, only 1 productive wr/te last year, rookie QB, etc. 29 is a low but its really hard to make a case for the rams to be much higher based off last season stats and having to predict how good all the new players that will be starting will be. From an objective viewpoint, Id probably think just about as lowly of another team if they were in the same exact position as the Rams this year and I wasnt a fan of said team

Agree. I also don't believe many fans understand PFF's grading systems, but they utilize far more former coaches & scouts than most, if not all, of their competitors. Last year the Rams rated near the bottom at QB, OL, TE & WR, ... PFF doesn't grade on potential, they grade on a point system which doesn't take into account for injury or experience. We all know what Foles did, we all know that our OL was devastated by injury, we all know that Cook dropped half of everything that came his way. Britt was our top receiver and graded as the 46'th overall WR. Austin was in the 80's and Quick was 108. Both Cook and Kendricks rated in the 50's overall. Reynolds was our only top 20 offensive lineman, Havenstein was top 30, all the rest were quite distant, and Saffold was near the very bottom. Barnes finished 29'th out of 39 graded Centers, and while his pass pro was decent, his run blocking was terrible, ... doesn't matter that guys like GRob and Barnes improved their overall grade quite a bit those last few games, they are judged on the entire season. PFF is looking at graded players and the upcoming schedule, not what might happen with a rookie QB, no matter where he was drafted. They don't care that our young OL will start the new season fresh with much more experience and be far healthier, they only care about the numbers. PFF may have us going 4 - 12 right now, but this is not a self fulfilling prophecy, ... when we show thru the statistics we are a better team than last years numbers, starting game 1, these estimates are re-written each week. The Rams future is in their own hands, not the predictions based on past performance. Statistics are great, but still only one piece of the puzzle, use them knowing full well their shortcomings, but realize they are still a valuable tool. jmo.

Last edited:

HellRam

Starter
PFF is definitely not perfect but imo they are one of the better rating sites out there. I agree with a previous poster who said 29 for a roster rating is bit overkill, I understand the Rams not having a winning season and all in quite some time but 29 is a bit much. That said PFF also ranked Donald the best player in all of the NFL... not many arguments from Rams fans their about PFF. They could be better but for the most part their ratings line up well with team's that win.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
G

Donald
Gurley
Hayes
Quinn
Truuuu

They actually said Ogletree needs to be REPLACED!! How is that for credibility?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
they have the Eagles roster as the 5th or 6th best...that is all....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
G

That was without a doubt the dumbest statement in the article. I have to assume they were judging Laurinaitis and overall MLB production. Hell, Ogletree missed most of the season, so it makes no sense. As we know, Laurinaitis was replaced, and most of us agreed with move.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
G

Ya its sad how no one pays attention to our player unless they are fans. Before he was injured he was top 5 in nfl in tackles, he will prove them wrong this year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
images%2Farticle%2F2016%2F02%2F22%2Fkablamo.gif