PFF: Ranking all 32 NFL teams' coverage units after Week 7 - Rams #3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-teams-coverage-units-after-week-7

Ranking all 32 NFL teams' coverage units after Week 7
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM

Getting after the quarterback helps, but a strong play in coverage by both linebackers and defensive backs is essential for teams to effectively defend in today’s NFL. Here, we’ve pulled team coverage grades from Premium Stats 2.0 to rank all 32 teams’ coverage units after Week 7.

LA-Rams-Header-2017.png

TEAM COVERAGE GRADE: 85.4
Forced Incompletion %: 11.9 (7th)

Team Passer Rating Allowed%: 96.7 (11th)

Top Coverage Defender (Coverage Grade): S John Johnson III (85.4)

Psycho_X

Legend
Tells you how hard it is for defenses now when we're ranked third overall but team passer rating against is still 96.7 which is some how still ranked 11th. Number one passer rating is Cleveland at 81 which used to be an average passer rating for a QB. That's why I can't get to upset at the defense in games they give up points. EVERYONE is giving up points and yards. We do need to clean up third down defense though. If we did that we'd be unstoppable.

Edit: Also, KC ranked 26th and Saints ranked 31st. Makes me happy.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
KC at #26? But. But. They are clearly the best team in the league!! How can this be?
N.O. At #31?

I think McVay is going to open up our passing game in these next few weeks and really show off....the System.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Tells you hard it is for defenses now when we're ranked third overall but team passer rating against is still 96.7 which is some how still ranked 11th. Number one passer rating is Cleveland at 81 which used to be an average passer rating for a QB. That's why I can't get to upset at the defense in games they give up points. EVERYONE is giving up points and yards. We do need to clean up third down defense though. If we did that we'd be unstoppable.

Edit: Also, KC ranked 26th and Saints ranked 31st. Makes me happy.

So I think it was last year. Pro Football Weekly had a stat for defensive 3rd down conversions. The top defensive teams on 3rd down were all playoff teams. It was uncanny how records matched the stats.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
KC at #26? But. But. They are clearly the best team in the league!! How can this be?
N.O. At #31?

I think McVay is going to open up our passing game in these next few weeks and really show off....the System.

Really? Goff had what, 4 350 yard games in a row? Teams are playing us a little different now. They aren't loading up the box because of that so we are running more. Which is awesome because Gurley and Brown are ripping up the defenses. I think McVay is going to do what the defense gives us, thats what he excels at.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Really? Goff had what, 4 350 yard games in a row? Teams are playing us a little different now. They aren't loading up the box because of that so we are running more. Which is awesome because Gurley and Brown are ripping up the defenses. I think McVay is going to do what the defense gives us, thats what he excels at.
Yes. I agree. He is taking what defenses give us. I’m basing it on the ebb and flow. We have been gashing with the run. Defenses will respond with more in the box....and Sean will unleash the System more against some of these softer defensive backfields. Just my guess.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good God. If our porous @$$ secondary is ranked 3rd the universe must be about to end. I mean damn.

I just pray that Talib is good to go when we get him back. Because if he is, it's on MFers.

Ram65

Legend
Team Passer Rating Allowed%: 96.7 (11th)

Seems high even in a passing league. Hags are at "Team Passer Rating Allowed%: 83.2 (2nd)"

Those Marcus Peters long TDs definitely added to the high number. I expect him to tighten things up. That with Talib's comeback they should be much better later in the year. I don't know how the Rams are third overall with that kind of passer rating. Not sure about this rating system.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
N.O. At #31?

Can we please make our offenses nickname be The System? Sounds great and really pokes fun at the whole system qb talk Goff gets

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Good God. If our porous @$$ secondary is ranked 3rd the universe must be about to end. I mean damn.

I just pray that Talib is good to go when we get him back. Because if he is, it's on MFers.

Hope he's back a couple of games before the playoffs so he can get back to 100% playing speed