PFF: Rams 2018 Free Agency Preview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-free-agency-preview-los-angeles-rams

2018 Free Agency Preview: Los Angeles Rams
BY MIKE CAHILL

USATSI_10451773.jpg

Nov 26, 2017; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Rams free safety Lamarcus Joyner (20) during an NFL football game against the New Orleans Saints at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Rams defeated the Saints 26-20. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

The Los Angeles Rams have a lot of important pieces set to hit free agency. Seven of the 13 players set to become unrestricted free agents were regular starters or had started at some point in 2017. Five of those seven players combined to play over 3,200 snaps on the defensive side of the ball. Four of those five combined for over 2,250 snaps in the secondary.

Safety John Johnson III and cornerback Kayvon Webster are the only two starters in the secondary under contract next season. And Webster’s ruptured Achilles adds an extra wrinkle to the team’s free agency game plan as well.

The Rams do, however, have a good amount of cap space available to them. They should be able to keep their safety duo intact while also keeping the wide receiver core together for the 2018 season. The interesting part will be what they do about their cornerbacks with the upcoming free agent class.

IMG_15022018_145349_0.png

SALARY CAP ROOM
$40,863,316 (12th in the NFL, as of 02/15/2018)

BIGGEST NEEDS
  • Cornerback
  • Edge defender
  • Center
  • Interior defender
NOTABLE FREE AGENTS
MUST RE-SIGN
Lamarcus Joyner, S, 90.3 overall grade

In his first season playing safety in the NFL, Joyner saw his highest-graded season by almost 12 points. He finished as the league’s third-highest-graded safety and tied for first in coverage grade at 92.2. On 406 coverage snaps, opposing quarterbacks targeted Joyner only 28 times. He allowed 12 of those targets to be complete while intercepting three of them and defending five more of those for a passer rating of 31.8 in his coverage.

His 0.36 yards allowed per coverage snap ranked 12th among 59 safeties. He was also one of only two safeties to not miss a single tackle in the passing game and he only missed three in the running game. Averaging 17 tackle attempts in between missed tackles combined, Joyner owned the sixth-highest tackling efficiency among all safeties. Though it was his first season at a new position, Joyner was one of three safeties to earn an elite grade (90.0-plus) and it would be criminal to let him walk.

DREAM SPLASH SIGNING
Junior Galette, edge, Washington Redskins

Before missing both the 2015 and 2016 seasons due to Achilles injuries, Galette produced the ninth-most pressures across the 2013 and 2014 seasons among edge defenders with 126. His 22 sacks in that time were tied for seventh-most, as well. This past season, Galette earned the second-highest grade of his career (82.4), tied for 31st among 106 edge defenders in 2017.

His 37 pressures on 251 pass-rushing snaps resulted in the 14th-highest pass-rush productivity )11.9) among edge defenders. The Rams desperately need someone outside of Aaron Donald to generate pressure, as he has been responsible for over 36 percent of the team’s total pressures since 2015. Pairing these two with Robert Quinn, who produced 18 of his 38 quarterback pressures in his final four games of the season could be devastating to opposing offenses come 2018.

2018 FREE AGENT PROSPECTS

Dontari Poe, DI, Atlanta Falcons

After moving Michael Brockers from nose tackle to a 3-4 defense end, the Rams’ three players at nose tackle combined for 18 run stops on 319 run snaps. That’s one fewer than Poe was able to generate on 298 run snaps in 2017. Before a down season in 2016, Poe had four straight seasons with at least 22 run stops, with a peak of 30 in 2013. Since Wade Phillips came to town and changed the defensive scheme to a 3-4 base, the Rams have been playing light at the nose tackle position.

Should they look to the open market to fulfill the position, Poe would change that, as he is a massive 6-foot-3, 346-pound player. Given that he’d be in between Brockers and Aaron Donald, two players ranked in the top-12 in run-defense grades among interior defenders, the Rams’ 31st-ranked PFF run defense would surely take a huge leap in 2018. Poe also ranked 26th among all interior defenders in pass-rush grade (77.0), which he earned with his career-high 39 pressures.

Kyle Fuller, CB, Chicago Bears

In his first two seasons, Fuller allowed almost as many touchdowns (10) as he had plays on the ball (13). This past season, he earned his highest-graded season at 84.3, 22nd among 121 cornerbacks. He saw a league-high 119 targets while averaging the second-fewest coverage snaps in between targets at 4.8. Despite being targeted so much, Fuller allowed the 14th-lowest passer rating into his coverage with a 69.0.

He also generated 17 pass breakups, two more than any other cornerback in the league. The one part about Fuller’s game that took a step back was his tackling. He led all cornerbacks in the league in missed tackled with 21, seven more than the next highest player. At 25 years old, Fuller is a very interesting player worth looking at in free agency.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interesting read, thanks for putting that up.

Joyner and NRC are no-brainers for the most part, although as always with PFF you gotta take things with a grain of salt, for example it's important to remember that NRC's performance was in the slot vs Trumaine drawing the top WR. But I do think that's the way this thing will go down with those two as relatively quick signing priorities.

Watkins' grade is low IMO. He was simply open much more than he was targeted.

But I do give them cred on seeing the match between Poe and Phillips' scheme. Only trouble there is will they bring in a FA at the nose when they have to pay AD on top of what they have Brock locked up at? I'd like the addition of course, but that's a lot of cheddar in the DL.

Fuller meh. Keep saying how much I dislike this FA crop of CBs, and nothing's changed there. There are options, but for what the Rams will pay vs this CB heavy draft just not worth it IMO. Same goes for pass rush, it's really rare to find a good one on the FA market and when you do will you get the full return on the cost?

From the shock and awe point of view, keep an eye on OL free agents. Nobody expects the Rams to do that, but IF they feel like they won't be able to lock Roger up and they're not too high on paying Hav or Brown this offseason, they might surprise and chase a solution now on the market.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-angeles-rams-offseason-wish-list-for-fantasy

Los Angeles Rams offseason wish list for fantasy
BY WALTON SPURLIN

USATSI_10472019.jpg

Dec 10, 2017; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley (30) and quarterback Jared Goff (16) celebrate Gurley's touchdown in the first quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

To say new head coach Sean McVay had a nice debut in Los Angeles would be an understatement to say the least. The Rams won the NFC West for the first time since 2003 with an 11-5 mark and McVay was named NFL Coach of the Year. Touted as an offensive guru. McVay delivered on all counts as Los Angeles finished in the top 10 in overall, rushing, and passing offense.

It comes as no surprise then that second-year quarterback Jared Goff finished in the top-12 in fantasy scoring and Todd Gurley was the top running back last season. Goff proved adept at spreading the ball around as four players saw at least 70 targets, led by rookie WR Cooper Kupp’s 94. Goff would also spread the wealth in touchdown receptions, as four players posted five or more with Sammy Watkins leading the team with eight.

The Rams hit pay dirt by signing WR Robert Woods in free agency last year as he set a career high in receiving yards (781) and tied his career best in touchdowns (five) while playing just 12 games. Now they will have to decide whether or not to allow Watkins to walk in free agency.

THREE ADDITIONS WE WANT TO SEE FOR FANTASY

Trey Burton, TE: The Rams got an up-close look at Burton’s skill set when he put up 5 receptions for 71 yards and a pair of touchdowns on them subbing for Zach Ertz (concussion) in Week 14. Burton would bring No. 1 tight end potential in 2018 if the Rams sign him.

Paul Richardson, WR: The speedy Richardson averaged 16.0 yards per reception in 2017 and would be a field-stretching deep threat for Goff. Richardson is coming off his best season, posting 44 receptions for 703 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Select a running back in the third round of the draft: Yes, the Rams have Todd Gurley, but the team might want to ease his workload as he’s averaged just over 300 touches during his first three seasons. This is a very deep draft for running backs and talent as well as productivity can be found in the third round (Los Angeles does not currently have a second-round selection).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-free-agency-preview-los-angeles-rams

2018 Free Agency Preview: Los Angeles Rams
BY MIKE CAHILL

USATSI_10451773.jpg

Nov 26, 2017; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Rams free safety Lamarcus Joyner (20) during an NFL football game against the New Orleans Saints at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Rams defeated the Saints 26-20. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

The Los Angeles Rams have a lot of important pieces set to hit free agency. Seven of the 13 players set to become unrestricted free agents were regular starters or had started at some point in 2017. Five of those seven players combined to play over 3,200 snaps on the defensive side of the ball. Four of those five combined for over 2,250 snaps in the secondary.

Safety John Johnson III and cornerback Kayvon Webster are the only two starters in the secondary under contract next season. And Webster’s ruptured Achilles adds an extra wrinkle to the team’s free agency game plan as well.

The Rams do, however, have a good amount of cap space available to them. They should be able to keep their safety duo intact while also keeping the wide receiver core together for the 2018 season. The interesting part will be what they do about their cornerbacks with the upcoming free agent class.

IMG_15022018_145349_0.png

SALARY CAP ROOM
$40,863,316 (12th in the NFL, as of 02/15/2018)

BIGGEST NEEDS
  • Cornerback
  • Edge defender
  • Center
  • Interior defender
NOTABLE FREE AGENTS
MUST RE-SIGN
Lamarcus Joyner, S, 90.3 overall grade

In his first season playing safety in the NFL, Joyner saw his highest-graded season by almost 12 points. He finished as the league’s third-highest-graded safety and tied for first in coverage grade at 92.2. On 406 coverage snaps, opposing quarterbacks targeted Joyner only 28 times. He allowed 12 of those targets to be complete while intercepting three of them and defending five more of those for a passer rating of 31.8 in his coverage.

His 0.36 yards allowed per coverage snap ranked 12th among 59 safeties. He was also one of only two safeties to not miss a single tackle in the passing game and he only missed three in the running game. Averaging 17 tackle attempts in between missed tackles combined, Joyner owned the sixth-highest tackling efficiency among all safeties. Though it was his first season at a new position, Joyner was one of three safeties to earn an elite grade (90.0-plus) and it would be criminal to let him walk.

DREAM SPLASH SIGNING
Junior Galette, edge, Washington Redskins

Before missing both the 2015 and 2016 seasons due to Achilles injuries, Galette produced the ninth-most pressures across the 2013 and 2014 seasons among edge defenders with 126. His 22 sacks in that time were tied for seventh-most, as well. This past season, Galette earned the second-highest grade of his career (82.4), tied for 31st among 106 edge defenders in 2017.

His 37 pressures on 251 pass-rushing snaps resulted in the 14th-highest pass-rush productivity )11.9) among edge defenders. The Rams desperately need someone outside of Aaron Donald to generate pressure, as he has been responsible for over 36 percent of the team’s total pressures since 2015. Pairing these two with Robert Quinn, who produced 18 of his 38 quarterback pressures in his final four games of the season could be devastating to opposing offenses come 2018.

2018 FREE AGENT PROSPECTS

Dontari Poe, DI, Atlanta Falcons

After moving Michael Brockers from nose tackle to a 3-4 defense end, the Rams’ three players at nose tackle combined for 18 run stops on 319 run snaps. That’s one fewer than Poe was able to generate on 298 run snaps in 2017. Before a down season in 2016, Poe had four straight seasons with at least 22 run stops, with a peak of 30 in 2013. Since Wade Phillips came to town and changed the defensive scheme to a 3-4 base, the Rams have been playing light at the nose tackle position.

Should they look to the open market to fulfill the position, Poe would change that, as he is a massive 6-foot-3, 346-pound player. Given that he’d be in between Brockers and Aaron Donald, two players ranked in the top-12 in run-defense grades among interior defenders, the Rams’ 31st-ranked PFF run defense would surely take a huge leap in 2018. Poe also ranked 26th among all interior defenders in pass-rush grade (77.0), which he earned with his career-high 39 pressures.

In his first two seasons, Fuller allowed almost as many touchdowns (10) as he had plays on the ball (13). This past season, he earned his highest-graded season at 84.3, 22nd among 121 cornerbacks. He saw a league-high 119 targets while averaging the second-fewest coverage snaps in between targets at 4.8. Despite being targeted so much, Fuller allowed the 14th-lowest passer rating into his coverage with a 69.0.

He also generated 17 pass breakups, two more than any other cornerback in the league. The one part about Fuller’s game that took a step back was his tackling. He led all cornerbacks in the league in missed tackled with 21, seven more than the next highest player. At 25 years old, Fuller is a very interesting player worth looking at in free agency.

Since Wade is in need of corners in a big way ..LJ value is all that more important. LJ's versatile corner, Nickle, Dime & Safety skills makes him valuable to Wade & a sure new contract is in order.

Kyle Fuller CB -no real heartburn.

Dontari Poe NT- You really think tht the Rams ORG is going to invest big Cap $$$ in a veteran wore down NT before paying a King Ransom $$$$$$$$$ for DT Aaron Donald? Not going to happen Zero chance. The Ram Org will not sign high $$$ NT but plan to off set the big $$$ investments between DL'er Brockers & Donald by drafting an econo priced talented young NT to off set those costs. In addition sign a budget priced veteran NT like Tyrunn Walker & utilize the excellent young interior depth @ DL {Westbrook/ Smart/ Bryant/ Fox }they already have under contract.

Jr Galette ER- Not going to occur. Rams will use the draft to bring in the needed Edge Rushers that fit the Wade sceheme. Wade has a young cadre of ER's available under contract now in Samson Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Cory Littleton, Ejuan Price & Carlos Thompson. A couple of 2018 talented newcomers in the 2018 draft should be efficient for week to week improvement .

Ram65

Legend
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-him-test-free-agency/?utm_term=.55f2391f1bef
D.C. Sports Bog
‘I consider myself elite’: Pass rusher Junior Galette expects Redskins to let him test free agency

By Scott Allen February 15 Email the author
Galette told 106.7 The Fan’s Danny Rouhier and Craig Hoffman this week. “But speaking to my agent, Drew Rosenhaus … he just basically said they’re pretty much gonna let me test free agency, because I’m pretty sure that if it was the other way around, I think they would have offered me a deal and nothing has been offered. There’s nothing else left for me to believe but they want me to test free agency.”

The Redskins took a chance on Galette during the 2015 offseason, signing him for the league minimum after New Orleans released him because of his off-field troubles, including a domestic violence charge that was later dismissed. Galette’s regular season debut with the Redskins was delayed two years after he suffered season-ending Achilles’ injuries in consecutive summers. After registering 22 sacks over his final two years with the Saints, Galette had three sacks in 16 games for Washington last season.

Galette, 29, told 106.7 The Fan he still has a lot left in the tank and that his sack total last season didn’t tell the entire story of his effectiveness. Rouhier mentioned a recent tweet from NFL.com’s Matt Harmon, who shared the top 12 pass-rushers in 2017 based on pressure rate among players who had at least 200 pass-rush plays. Redskins linebacker Preston Smith, who had eight sacks last season, ranked first at 15.9 percent. Galette ranked third at 15.1 percent. Ryan Kerrigan, who led Washington with 13 sacks, ranked 10th (13.4 percent).

View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/960671241681059840
“I consider myself elite,” Galette said. “You look at the numbers, it is what it is. I don’t care what you tell me. I had back-to-back [double-digit sack years] in New Orleans. I think only four players were during that span and I was on pace, had a promising career. I still do, I feel like, but pass rush is so relative. There are so many things and other variables that play into pass rush, so if you just look at my [stats] and it says that I’m top-three in the win percentage and the sacks don’t match, okay, so you look at the tape and you’re like, ‘Wait, how come the sacks don’t match?’ Well, maybe this guy deserves more playing time. If you give me more playing time, that’s how it works. In ’13, I had I think 800 snaps in New Orleans, in ’14 I think I had 750. In both those years, [I had] double-digit sacks. It just is what it is. That’s just how pass-rush goes. You need the opportunities. If I had made all the sacks that I missed — about eight or nine this year — I’d have double-digit sacks, but that’s almost impossible to do. … I feel like as long as you’re disrupting the quarterback, then you show that you’re really effective in just how promising that you are with getting after the quarterback.”

Galette played 411 defensive snaps last season, according to Football Outsiders. Kerrigan and Smith played 822 and 756, respectively. Ryan Anderson, who will almost certainly factor more into Washington’s defensive game plans next season, played 195 defensive snaps as a rookie. Galette said he remains “really thankful” that former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan gave him an opportunity in 2015 and then brought him back on one-year deals in each of the last two seasons.

“I think it’s a great organization on the come-up,” Galette said. “I feel like they made a strong move in getting a quarterback in Alex Smith, and getting somebody at that position that’s just definite, having someone stable there as opposed to just the going back and forth. I think it’s a pretty good thing for the team in general. The Redskins are headed in the right direction, I want to be here, but like I said, it’s not up to me.”

Returning to Washington, Galette said, would “of course” be his first choice.

“We just have to wait and kind of see,” Galette said. “… I see a lot of fans on my social media, like, ‘Hey, you’ve gotta stick with the Redskins. Go sign your deal.’ I’m like, ‘Dude, there’s no offer on the table.’ I can’t just pick up a pen. It doesn’t work like that.”

Ram65

Legend
Ram might be able swing a deal for Junior Galette. While he doesn't fit the younger free agent profile he could be an upgrade over Barwin. He has had a couple of arrests but, charges not filed on the last one. Use that Barwin money and more to get a better pass rusher. It's someone to look into that McVay should be able to get some insight from his contacts in Washington.

I'm looking everywhere for a pass rusher. He will be two years off the Achilles injury and hasn't been taking a lot of snaps so he could be fresh for his age. Maybe I'm just too desperate for a pass rusher.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend

At 25 years old Fuller fits the age line for a Rams Free Agent Deal. Don't like the missed tackles. Could be effort or needs coaching up. Rams needs could have them go after Fuller.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“We just have to wait and kind of see,” Galette said. “… I see a lot of fans on my social media, like, ‘Hey, you’ve gotta stick with the Redskins. Go sign your deal.’ I’m like, ‘Dude, there’s no offer on the table.’ I can’t just pick up a pen. It doesn’t work like that.”
IF The Redskins don't make him an offer I could see the Rams might!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
5 affordable free agents the Rams should consider signing
By: Cameron DaSilva | February 19, 2018 11:43 am ET

Unlike last offseason, the Los Angeles Rams are going to focus primarily on retaining their own free agents. There aren’t going to be any splash signings or big moves, given the fact that guys like Lamarcus Joyner and Trumaine Johnson will hit the open market.

With $40 million to spend, the Rams do have some wiggle room. Most of that cap space will be eaten up by their own free agents, but there will be plenty of affordable options out there for the Rams to look at when the time comes.

Here are five realistic targets for Los Angeles when free agency begins on March 14.

1) CB T.J. Carrie

Carrie isn’t among the top cornerbacks in a fairly strong free-agency class, headlined by Trumaine Johnson and Malcolm Butler. Kyle Fuller and former Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines will also get more attention than Carrie, but he’s an intriguing player.

He played in the slot plenty for the Raiders in 2017, but he can move outside, as well. The Rams could have a vacancy at either spot, given Trumaine Johnson and Nickell Robey-Coleman’s expiring contracts, so having a player like Carrie could be very valuable. Not to mention, Kayvon Webster’s injury throws a wrench into the 2018 plans as he may not be back until December.

Carrie is just 27 years old, is coming off of his best season as a pro and won’t break the bank the way Johnson and the top cornerbacks will. The Rams should absolutely give him a look.

2) OLB Aaron Lynch
usatsi_10472133.jpg

Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

What makes Lynch so intriguing is his age (25) and potential. Playing in a few different schemes with the 49ers hasn’t helped his development, nor have injuries – most notably ankle and calf issues the past two years.

In his first two seasons, however, Lynch showed a great deal of promise. He had 12.5 sacks in those two years, both of which came as an outside linebacker, which is where he’d play in Los Angeles.

At 6-6, 270 pounds, Lynch is a physical specimen on the edge. He’d immediately become the Rams’ biggest defender, and his length gives him a great deal of potential as both a pass-rusher and run-stopper.

It’s unclear exactly how much Lynch will cost, but it won’t be any more than about $4 million per year.

3) ILB Jon Bostic
usatsi_10273083.jpg

Richard Mackson-USA TODAY Sports

Bostic finally seemed to find his footing with the Colts in 2017, playing inside in their 3-4 defense. He was particularly good against the run, earning a grade of 84.0 from Pro Football Focus in that department. His 20.4 tackling efficiency ranked ninth among linebackers, showing just how consistent he was against the run and in the open field.

He’s not the biggest or best linebacker on the market, but the Rams could be in need of an upgrade over Mark Barron – a potential cap casualty. Paying Bostic, arguably a better run defender than Barron, $3-4 million per year would be a far better investment than continuing to pay Barron like one of the top inside linebackers in football.

Unfortunately, Bostic may not become available if the Colts opt to re-sign him after he put together a great 2017 season.

4) NT Justin Ellis
usatsi_10356358.jpg

Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

Nose tackle is an underrated need for the Rams in the fact that they can get by with the guys they have, but they’d be wise to upgrade the position. Ellis is a body-mover and space-eater in the middle, which is something the Rams didn’t necessarily have in 2017. Michael Brockers moved to defensive end, leaving it up to guys like Tanzel Smart and Tyrunn Walker to shoulder the load inside.

In a 3-4 defense, you don’t necessarily need a pass-rushing defensive tackle. You need someone who can eat up blocks and free up linebackers inside so they can maintain their gaps and make plays on ball carriers.

Ellis would be a very affordable option for the Rams and would improve their 28th-ranked run defense.

5) WR Donte Moncrief
usatsi_10407269.jpg

Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams don’t have a glaring hole at wide receiver, but the need to add one will become much greater if Sammy Watkins doesn’t return. Moncrief had a down year in 2017 with just 26 catches for 391 yards, but the potential is there – and he’s only 24 years old. That makes him a very intriguing player for a team like the Rams, who can afford to take a low-risk chance on a guy with a lot of upside.

Pairing him with Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp would give the Rams a nice mix of speed, explosiveness and reliability at wide receiver – similar to the group they had in 2017.

He’s not going to break the bank by any means after a terrible season, but for less than $5 million per year, the Rams should take a look if Watkins doesn’t come back for another season.

Ram65

Legend
https://247sports.com/nfl/san-franc...an-Francisco-49ers-today-per-report-115332432
ESPN picks Aaron Lynch as a 49ers player needing new scenery
The San Francisco 49ers have 16 players at the moment due for unrestricted free agency on March 14, and few if any of them seem as unlikely to return as defensive end Aaron
The San Francisco 49ers have 16 players at the moment due for unrestricted free agency on March 14, and few if any of them seem as unlikely to return as defensive end Aaron Lynch. It might seem odd from the outside looking in that a team in need of pass rush help would be willing to give up on a player like Lynch, who has a good amount of potential in that area, but after a season plagued by injuries coming off an offseason where he was overweight, Lynch seems to be on the outside looking in when it comes to which pending free agents the 49ers will re-sign.

So it's no surprise to see Lynch as the name that pops up next to the San Francisco 49ers in a feature posted by ESPN Wednesday that selects one player on each NFL team that could use a change of scenery. 49ers reporter Nick Wagoner wrote that it's time for Lynch, who is still just 24 years old, to find a new team, and that it could give him a spark towards reaching his potential.

"After four seasons in which Lynch's pass-rush ability and inability to stay in shape would alternately tantalize and frustrate the 49ers, it's time for the two sides to part ways," Wagoner wrote. "Lynch is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March after posting six or more sacks in his first two seasons and just 2.5 total over the past two years. Throughout his time in the Bay Area, Lynch often looked like the team's best edge rusher, but he was never able to put it all together and then struggled with injuries and weight issues toward the end. Perhaps an opportunity on a different team will help him get back on track. But for now, the Niners need to look outside the organization to bolster their outside pass rush."

Lynch was selected by the 49ers in the fifth round of the 2014 draft out of South Florida and over his first two seasons showed flashes of what made him such a highly-regarded prospect earlier in his career when he was viewed as one of the top defensive end prospects in the country coming out of high school. But after racking up 12.5 sacks over his first two seasons, Lynch played in just 14 games over the course of 2016 and 2017, due in part to injuries and a suspension for substance abuse that left him suspended for the start of the 2016 season.

Another team will surely give Lynch a chance if the 49ers decide not to re-sign him over the next few weeks. The talent is still there, and the need for pass rushers around the league will never go away. If he does re-sign with the 49ers, at the very least it will provide some depth in an area of need and give him one more chance to flip the switch and become the player he still could potentially become.
Author
Kirk Larrabee @NFL_49ers247
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has been mentioned here before but, I didn't know much about him. Started college going to Notre Dame but, missed Florida and transferred. Had to sit out a year. I read his weight fluctuates but, he got back in shape last year but, got hurt again. Has good size and that P for potential. Could be motivated at least against the Whiners. Not a fan of one year deals but, could give him two years with little cap out in year two. He has the size 6'5" and 270 Lbs with 34" arms or so Still only 24. I would see what he cost. Not my first choice but, Rams need more pressure.