PFF grades Rams vs Bucs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would fully expect McVay to replace Brewer with Shelton and keep Evans in.....
Joking aside, if Shelton can't go we better see Aboushi and Brewer at G this week.....or......bad words.
Jourdan noted that when asked about Evans continuing to play, he usually says “Bobby Evans has been with this team a long time”.

She translates that as he’s one of the few left healthy that knows the Oline scheme and calls.

Brewer knows them too, apparently. I wonder if they felt Abushi was not ready mentally. She said that the Rams Oline scheme is very complex.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Jourdan noted that when asked about Evans continuing to play, he usually says “Bobby Evans has been with this team a long time”.

She translates that as he’s one of the few left healthy that knows the Oline scheme and calls.

Brewer knows them too, apparently. I wonder if they felt Abushi was not ready mentally. She said that the Rams Oline scheme is very complex.

One of the more politically correct statements I've ever heard from her. She obviously doesn't want to step on McVay's toes.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame

Yeah something bad might happen along the OL with someone else. Smh. His comments only make sense if they are winning and the player is not hurting the team. In that case, sure why mess with things and rock the boat. But this - it’s horrendous. It’s like the blind being the evaluator.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Rams may need to bench Stafford. Might preserve him for when they get this line unfucked.
Totally agree with this. It's almost like a preseason OL, though they're getting another guy back but if Evans is still out there rest Matthew.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One of the more politically correct statements I've ever heard from her. She obviously doesn't want to step on McVay's toes.
I believe it. It makes sense, otherwise why bring up Brewer from the PS instead of playing Aboushi or Skura?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah something bad might happen along the OL with someone else. Smh. His comments only make sense if they are winning and the player is not hurting the team. In that case, sure why mess with things and rock the boat. But this - it’s horrendous. It’s like the blind being the evaluator.
Why bring up Brewer from the practice squad and start him over two veteran street free agents? Brewer knows the system. He played better than Aboushi too.

So maybe that’s his reasoning with Evans. If it’s so easy why weren’t the two SFA’s inserted immediately? Supposedly they stayed in shape.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I thought Brewer was injured but stashed on the PS because it wasn't a long term thing but that could be having bourbon memory tonight.

Other than his Covid absence two years ago, I wasn't aware of another recent injury. If so, I certainly missed it ...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Brewer showed a little promise in 19… understandably sat out 20… but there were fairly high hopes for him. Remember, Snead referred to him as the team’s “Oline draft pick” last year.
Maybe it’s clicking for him. Maybe he’s a player. We can only hope.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why wasn't Brewer brought up weeks ago ?
They felt a proven vet would have no trouble learning the scheme and language. They apparently thought that at least one of two previous starters could perform better than a career practice squad player. They were wrong..

This is a prime example of how important understanding scheme and language is for an offensive lineman and why communication and continuity is so valuable. Proof is that a career practice squad player, never considered a worthy starter anywhere, outplayed two veteran starters from other teams.

I am as big of a critic of McVay's as anyone. I've griped about the lack of attention to finding higher quality Online men since 2018. I've never seen anything in Noteboom that made me comfortable with him at left tackle, nor Allen at center. Then it got worse when Shelton outplayed Bruss. Another draft miss and a resulting downgrade from Corbett to Shelton. I've voiced my concerns since shortly after the Super Bowl and I blame McVay for all of it. But, what I refuse to believe is that McVay plays Evans out of blind loyalty and that he doesn't recognize how poorly he has played. There is another reason. McVay has his flaws but he is not stupid.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They felt a proven vet would have no trouble learning the scheme and language. They apparently thought that at least one of two previous starters could perform better than a career practice squad player. They were wrong..

A few years ago Brewer was the reserve LT behind Whitworth, following a Noteboom injury, his limited snaps were well done and he held his own. Brewer became a forgotten man after this, was lost to Covid in 2020, and was played at every position but Center during the 2021 pre-season games, 2022 pre-season was much the same, ... he became a man with no position and relegated to deep practice squad depth.
Sorry, but I don't know how successfully Brewer can build off of his Tampa Bay experience, but I believe a few O.C.'s and McVay have done a poor job in judging players like Demby & Evans, and on the opposite side, perhaps Chandler Brewer. I'll watch this trial period carefully, and will be rooting for him all the way. jmo.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A few years ago Brewer was the reserve LT behind Whitworth, following a Noteboom injury, his limited snaps were well done and he held his own. Brewer became a forgotten man after this, was lost to Covid in 2020, and was played at every position but Center during the 2021 pre-season games, 2022 pre-season was much the same, ... he became a man with no position and relegated to deep practice squad depth.
Sorry, but I don't know how successfully Brewer can build off of his Tampa Bay experience, but I believe a few O.C.'s and McVay have done a poor job in judging players like Demby & Evans, and on the opposite side, perhaps Chandler Brewer. I'll watch this trial period carefully, and will be rooting for him all the way. jmo.
Oh I agree with that. I think their Oline evals suck and Snead needs to reassess what types to draft. Bruss couldn’t beat out a career backup, Allen may be intelligent but he’s not good and I’d injured, Edwards had one very good year then got steadily worse, Noteboom is backup material, Corbett was okay.

Who have they drafted that was actually good? They can’t claim either Havenstein or Whitworth. They finally seem to have hit on Aleric Jackson, which as an udfa seems kind of like they got lucky.

I think the entire Oline system needs to be reconfigured to a different scheme, targeting different types of players. Other teams are successfully running the ball. I don’t understand why it’s such a mystery for McVay and Co.