PFF claims Rams have the WORST WR corps in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
image.jpeg

So this is a site that claims Aaron Donald is the best player in the NFL based on their analytics so we love that, but hate this article.

This brings me to my point...consider Andrew Luck. When his line protected and his receivers did their jobs, was there a more celebrated young QB in the league? Yet here it is from PFF:

Key stat: Luck earned the lowest PFF passing grade in the NFL last season, at 43.6.

Did Kurt Warner forget how to be a top QB during the years that the Rams, Giants, and Cardinals couldn't protect him? I think not. And Luck is no slouch either.

What does this have to do with our WR's? Well, I submit that PFF can't account for the way OLine injuries affect how a coordinator will adjust the routes they will run. Open receivers who never get the ball thrown to them are wasted effort. And when the offense is limited to play action one reads, bubble screens, and failed attempts to line up and beat defenses with routes off five and seven step drops due to average QB talent, how well can we really evaluate the WR talent?

With that said, Snisher made the decision to put together a new, young passing offense. Last year they focused on the line and RB. This year it's the QB, TE's, and WR's. They expect this to be the group that grows together like the DB's started to four years ago, the DL when Brockers and Donald were drafted, the LB's when they drafted Ogletree and acquired Barron, and when they acquired a plethora of OLinemen starting w Robinson and completing w last year's class.

My conclusion? PFF is kind of right, for now. While as fans we root for Britt and Quick to be impact players...we KNOW what it's like to have Bruce and Holt so we shouldn't pretend. This new mix reminds me of the Packer and Patriot models of employing various skill sets for success as opposed to simply deploying the rare dominant receiver nobody can cover (save Moss and Gronkowski in NE and Nelson in GB). I'm pounding the table for Higbeast. Pharoah will rule. Tavon will fulfill what Percy Harvin could've done...namely a multi-purpose career like Eric Metcalf, Darren Sproles, and Tim Brown. Shhhhh....Spruce is our Amendola who can stay healthy. No flash, just solid, fundamental production.

But hey, to be fair...they have to do it first. My prediction, NEXT YEAR, PFF will count the Ram receivers in the top half. Austin and Cooper will get headlines, but the group will outperform most expectations (due to Groh's detailed coaching). Mark my words and cash the check.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Without reading, the first thing that comes to mind is "probably because half of them haven't played in the NFL". I shall read the article now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With out reading the first line I ....
rotfl.PNG
And I WON"T be reading the op!!

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
It makes sense, I dont hate them for that either. Our QBs, WRs, and TEs have been mediocre. That's why we drafted a QB, 2 WRs, and 2 TEs out of 6 picks. I do think the bad QB play effected the receiving coprs alot though. I think Tavon and Britt are going to have better years out of the guys that been here and I'm optimistic for all the rookies.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Grade them after a few years with a good QB. But I do agree. If you look at a guy like Deandre Hopkins or OBJ and compare them to what the Rams receivers look like, then reality sinks in. One top pass catcher would make the others look a bit better but not great. I dont think any of the Rams receivers from last season will be worth getting into a bidding war over.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes right now, they are right.

PFF does look at things like bad throws/pressure on the QB and other factors...catchable balls and such.

It was fairly easy to see last year that our passing game was horrific. Doesn't look great now and honestly, I wouldn't mind going with Britt/Austin and all rookies after that.

What I am hoping for is some Luck/TY Hilton action with Goff and one of our later round picks...TY wasn't a highly drafted guy and with a worse QB, probably doesn't get the contract he got. With what we have in the fold, I am confident that they can grow with Goff and after this year we will have identified our starters at the WR position for the future - in doing so however, there will be some bumps and bruises along the way. One reason why I don't see playoffs for this year and I am okay with that.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't think we are the worst but definitely in the bottom quarter of the league until proven otherwise.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
In fairness, the Rams did have the worst O and worst passing O in the league last year. At least I think they did.

So a 32nd ranking isn't grossly unfair until they prove otherwise.

That said, who isn't excited about the additions of Goff, Higbee, Cooper, and Spruce?

Let the games begin!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see how the Rams will win a game with what all the so called experts are saying . I say wait and see

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to disagree with them. But I can't and be objective at the same time. We haven't had a good receiving group in a while. Britt is an occasional deep guy. Not much more. Quick is a bump on a log. Austin's more of an all around gimmick guy. The rest are unproven. We don't know what we have in Cooper, Higbee and Thomas.

Honestly, I can't disagree with the OP and be objective. I'm hopeful that all they need is a legit quarterback. And I'm hopeful Goff is that guy. But until they prove otherwise, we do have a well below average receiving group.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Grade them after a few years with a good QB. But I do agree. If you look at a guy like Deandre Hopkins or OBJ and compare them to what the Rams receivers look like, then reality sinks in. One top pass catcher would make the others look a bit better but not great. I dont think any of the Rams receivers from last season will be worth getting into a bidding war over.

Both those guys are top 5 receivers, along with AB, Julio, and Dez. Those kind of players don't grow on trees. I agree that we need a true #1 but you can't expect to get players like that easily.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Let me just put this out there, a QBs best friend(s) aren't his receivers, it's his defense and his running back.

If your defense can score some points for you, or hold the other team to a low score, and you can have a running back that gives you single coverage on the outside, you don't need amazing receivers.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Have to agree, based on last year our receivers were the worst, not because of talent but because of the quarterback position. Last years passing attack was just horrible and that's why they are doubting our guys. I think they are in for a big surprise this year because the talent is there, hopefully our QBS can hit the receivers in stride this year and not miss open receivers downfield. Britt excelled once keenum took over and I think as long as our QBS can read the coverage quickly and get rid of the ball this team will be night and day compared to last year.
If Defense shows up, Gurley shows up, our QBs and WRs will not have to win games just try not to lose them.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I would have sworn that Kendricks dropped more the four passes

or maybe that was Cook

or........

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So this is a site that claims Aaron Donald is the best player in the NFL based on their analytics so we love that, but hate this article.

I hate all things PFF. Positive or negative. PFF is sucking the joy out of football. We know Aaron Donald is a star just by watching him. I don't need some stupid ranking and math formulas to confirm that. WRs aren't bad, they are inexperienced. What happens if even just one becomes a legitimate starter? C'mon now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Based on last year's numbers, our receiving corp is the worst in the league. Um.....duh. Does PFF really have a metric for looking at potential? Thanks but I will wait to see how this new group meshes with an O-line that should be a fair bit better than last year as well. I don't mind them saying stuff like this mainly because I don't think it means anything in July.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree. We need more production from our passing game.
Now there's nowhere to go but up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That's fine so after this year they will touting Mike Groh as one of the best position coaches in the NFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Both those guys are top 5 receivers, along with AB, Julio, and Dez. Those kind of players don't grow on trees. I agree that we need a true #1 but you can't expect to get players like that easily.

I agree. But I was just trying to put it into perspective. The Rams receivers compared to good receivers. I dont even think having a great receiver on the team elevates the play of the others that much. They are limited. Hope I am wrong.