PFF: All-’Go Deep’ Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
All-’Go Deep’ Team
Nathan Jahnke | April 28, 2014

go-deep.png

One of the most exciting plays in football is the deep pass. In order for it to succeed it needs the offensive line to block a little longer than they usually do, a great pass by the quarterback, a great catch by the receiver, and something to go wrong with the defense.

Here I’ll put together a dream team if I wanted to throw a deep pass on every play, as well as the best defense to defend that kind of offense. It will be completely be based off 2013 play, so if an offense didn’t pass much, then chances are their players won’t make this list. If I truly wanted the best team I could, it would look more like our 2013 All-Pro team, but this is simply based on their subsection of plays in 2013.

Typically we set the bar for deep passes at 20 yards in the air, but for this I wanted to look at even deeper passes, so the threshold was 30 yards in the air or more. As per typical Team of the Week fashion, you’ll see the PFF overall grade on just this subset of over 1000+ plays during the season, as well as some honorable mentions.

OFFENSE

Typically in the Team of the Week will have one halfback, one fullback, two wide receivers and one tight end. Since this is for throwing deep, this week we’ll have four wide receivers and one tight end.

Quarterback: Jay Cutler, CHI (+9.0)

While others had more yards and more touchdowns on very deep passes, Cutler makes the list for his efficiency on them. He completed 48% of his deep passes which was tied for the best with at least 20 attempts, and his only interception came in a late game Hail Mary situation. He did this despite being under pressure one third of the time.

Honorable Mention: Andrew Luck (IND)

Tight End: Vernon Davis, SF (+4.0)

There were only two tight ends with three or more catches where the ball was in the air for 30+ yards, and they were Davis and Jimmy Graham. Davis makes the team for catching five such passes with three going for touchdowns, and an average of 45 yards per catch in these situations.

Honorable Mention: Jimmy Graham (NO)

Outside Wide Receivers: DeSean Jackson, PHI (+8.7) and Alshon Jeffery, CHI (+7.9)

DeSean Jackson led the league in touchdowns on these kinds of deep passes with six. Alshon Jeffery had eight deep catches, with five coming from 40+ yards in the air, and three ending up in spectacular touchdowns.

Honorable Mention: A.J. Green (CIN) and Antonio Brown (PIT)

Slot Wide Receivers: T.Y. Hilton, IND (+9.4) and Vincent Jackson, TB (+6.3)

Even though both Hilton and Jackson made more deep plays coming from the outside than inside, both made enough coming from the slot to put them in that position for this team. Hilton led the league in receiving yards from these deep passes at exactly 500. He was helped a lot by three of his deep catches coming in the playoffs. Vincent Jackson was one of seven players with six or more deep catches, and the only other one who frequently plays in the slot.

Honorable Mention: Jordy Nelson (GB) and Calvin Johnson (DET)

Tackles: Eugene Monroe, JAX/BLT (+2.6) and Marcus Gilbert, PIT (+2.9)

Picking the offensive linemen for this team basically consists of looking at which offensive linemen didn’t allow a single hit or hurry when the quarterback attempted a deep pass. In this case Gilbert was successful in not allowing a pressure 39 times while Monroe was successful 35 times. There very well could have been times where the quarterback wanted to throw the ball that deep but couldn’t due to the offensive line, but we will never know.

Honorable Mention: Nate Solder (NE) and Zach Strief (NO)

Guards: Ramon Foster, PIT (+1.7) and Kraig Urbik, BUF (+1.7)

Going by a similar process with the offensive tackles, both Foster and Urbik were successful all 38 times they were pass blocking and their quarterbacks ended up throwing the ball 30+ yards down field.

Honorable Mention: Matt Slauson (CHI) and Louis Vasquez (DEN)

Center: Roberto Garza, CHI (+1.0)

Again by a similar process, Garza was successful all 34 times blocking for Jay Cutler or Josh McCown.

Honorable Mention: Lyle Sendlein (ARZ)

DEFENSE

Typically in the Team of the Week we make a hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense. For this team we’ll have a dime defense with three pass rushers, two linebackers in coverage, and six defensive backs.

Defensive Interior: Marcell Dareus, BUF (+4.1)

For this defensive a player could have only gotten a hit or hurry, as a sack would have prevented a throw all together. On the 31 times a quarterback threw deep against the Bills and Dareus was on the field, he was successful in getting a hit three times and a hurry six times. No other defensive/nose tackle had more than four pressures in these situations.

Honorable Mention: Kawann Short (CAR)

Edge Rushers: Derrick Morgan, TEN (+3.1) and J.J. Watt, HST (+2.9)

Derrick Morgan makes this team by being very successful on a low sample size. He had two hits and two hurries on just 11 pass rushes giving him a Pass Rushing Productivity of 27.3 in these situations. Others had more pressure than Watt’s five, but his average time to pressure of 2.3 in these situations was hard to ignore.

Honorable Mention: Calais Campbell (ARZ) and Connor Barwin (PHI)

Linebackers: Nick Roach, OAK (+1.7) and K.J. Wright, SEA (+0.9)

It’s not very often that a linebacker has much effect on these kinds of plays, but every so often they do make a small impact. Both of these players were noted for having some close coverage on tight ends in these situations to prevent catches.

Honorable Mention: Perry Riley (WAS) and Justin Durant (DET)

Outside Cornerbacks: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, DEN (+5.6) and Keenan Lewis, NO (+5.7)

The stat lines for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Keenan Lewis look very similar to one another. They both have been in coverage on 20+ plays, and have been the main man in coverage on 10 plays. They each have allowed just one catch while also having two interceptions.

Honorable Mention: Desmond Trufant (ATL) and Cortez Allen (PIT)

Slot Cornerback: Corey Graham, BLT (+3.9)

At the slot corner spot is Corey Graham who joins Rodgers-Cromartie and Lewis in the two interceptions to one catch allowed club. His is a little less impressive because that one catch was for a touchdown, and he was only targeted seven times on these passes.

Honorable Mention: Eric Wright (SF)

Safeties: Nate Allen, PHI (+3.2), Devin McCourty, NE (+3.2) and Tashaun Gipson, CLV (+2.2)

Surprisingly these are the three most targeted safeties when it comes to these very deep passes, but they are also the three most successful at preventing big plays. They have a combined 30 targeted passes against them. They have a combined seven passes defended to show for it while quarterbacks just have three completions against them.

Honorable Mention: Darrell Stuckey (SD), Glover Quin (DET) and Usama Young (OAK)

Follow Nathan on Twitter: @PFF_NateJahnke

V3

Hall of Fame
I think Cutler is helped A LOT by the two WR's he's throwing to. He just lobs it up there and they come down with it. Sure wish the Rams had someone like that...*cough*Evans*cough*.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree that the omission of Robert Quinn is ridiculous. Not even in the honorable mentions? C'mon! The Rams have long been relegated to the bottom tier of teams like the Browns. But the best way to gain respect is to kick the crap out of other teams on a continual basis.

Alan

Legend
I'm gonna disagree with those who think the exclusion of Quinn invalidates the post. This is a very situational premise and not some overall best D team. Just because Quinn is a great DE doesn't mean he's the best guy to have out there when they're throwing a 30+ yard pass. You guys are just looking for the smallest slight to complain about. :ROFLMAO: I feel that pain too though.

PhxRam

I'm gonna disagree with those who think the exclusion of Quinn invalidates the post. This is a very situational premise and not some overall best D team. Just because Quinn is a great DE doesn't mean he's the best guy to have out there when they're throwing a 30+ yard pass. You guys are just looking for the smallest slight to complain about. :ROFLMAO: I feel that pain too though.

Please explain. You had a guy who led the league (I discredit Mathis) and you dont want him out there rushing the QB? In ANY scenario how is anyone any better?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

If you're rushing the passer, Quinn should be the FIRST guy you would want. Especially over a guy like Morgan, and probably over Watt too.

Of course, it's just an article. Doesn't matter too much.

PhxRam

So dumb..

Scenario:

Team throws a pass over 30+ yards, when down by 4, with 2 minutes left on the clock, on the second game of the year in an away stadium. Please give me Derrick Morgan every day of the week.

Alan

Legend
Their data is already explanation enough. I don't have the tapes they looked at to redo their evaluations but I'm pretty sure they didn't say something like "Quinn seems to stand out in our tapes but because he's a Ram we won't include him." :LOL:

That article isn't about who is the best player at a position, it's about who was on the field when an opposing team prevented or didn't prevent a 30+ yard pass. If you're the best DE in the world but your DBs suck big time you are not going to make this list no matter who's team you're on.

You can say the Rams were ranked 30th in offense last year and when you look at the stats that's true. But is that our true ranking considering we had to play 6 games (not counting games outside our division) against some of the best D's in football? Using only the metrics they used in compiling their list of offensive and defensive players I'm confident that while Quinn didn't make the list, it wasn't because of some ability or talent he lacked.

Limited data provides limited information. This was an extremely narrow and focused set of data used to determine one small aspect of the equation that is the NFL. But it can still be fun to read about. Just like this post was for me. :)

Alan

Legend
TheDYVKX making the same mistake:
If you're rushing the passer, Quinn should be the FIRST guy you would want.
He is the first guy I would want too but that misses the whole point of this article. I don't care if he had 80 sacks last year. If none of them came when the other team completed a 30+ yard pass he's not making this list as the best DE. This list is not a list of the best DE's. Don't read into this article things that aren't there. Read their objective:
"Here I’ll put together a dream team if I wanted to throw a deep pass on every play, as well as the best defense to defend that kind of offense."

PhxRam

Their data is already explanation enough. I don't have the tapes they looked at to redo their evaluations but I'm pretty sure they didn't say something like "Quinn seems to stand out in our tapes but because he's a Ram we won't include him." :LOL:

That article isn't about who is the best player at a position, it's about who was on the field when an opposing team prevented or didn't prevent a 30+ yard pass. If you're the best DE in the world but your DBs suck big time you are not going to make this list no matter who's team you're on.

You can say the Rams were ranked 30th in offense last year and when you look at the stats that's true. But is that our true ranking considering we had to play 6 games (not counting games outside our division) against some of the best D's in football? Using only the metrics they used in compiling their list of offensive and defensive players I'm confident that while Quinn didn't make the list, it wasn't because of some ability or talent he lacked.

Limited data provides limited information. This was an extremely narrow and focused set of data used to determine one small aspect of the equation that is the NFL. But it can still be fun to read about. Just like this post was for me. :)

Then it is silly to have those guys on the field any other time then those specific examples.

I know going into my next contract negotiation I would bring this arguement to the table.

Derrick Morgan: "you do realize who you are talking to? I am the number one DE in the NFL rushing the QB when he passes the ball over 30+ yards"

Team: "Derrick you do realize the pass attempt was only 29 yards?"

Derrick Morgan: "I am counting from where he threw it. That is 30+yards fool"

Alan

Legend
PhxRam needing more ammo than he's bringing to the firefight:
Then it is silly to have those guys on the field any other time then those specific examples.

I know going into my next contract negotiation I would bring this arguement to the table.

Derrick Morgan: "you do realize who you are talking to? I am the number one DE in the NFL rushing the QB when he passes the ball over 30+ yards"

Team: "Derrick you do realize the pass attempt was only 29 yards?"

Derrick Morgan: "I am counting from where he threw it. That is 30+yards fool"
I don't know guys, why is it that the context of this article doesn't seem to be in your thoughts?

If Derrick Morgan tried to get a raise with the "Did you know that all those 11 times the other teams tried to pass the ball for 30+ yards and failed, during the whole year against us, I was on the field?" that's worth megabucks or I'm outta here.

PhxRam

I don't know guys, why is it that the context of this article doesn't seem to be in your thoughts?

If Derrick Morgan tried to get a raise with the "Did you know that all those 11 times the other teams tried to pass the ball for 30+ yards and failed, during the whole year against us, I was on the field?" that's worth megabucks or I'm outta here.

"Others had more pressure than Watt’s five, but his average time to pressure of 2.3 in these situations was hard to ignore."

Seems like he slacks on plays unless it goes for 30+ yards.

Alan

Legend
Or he doesn't slack off and the DB fell down trying to defend against that successful pass. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. If he gets totally stonewalled by the LT and the DB breaks up the pass he gets a + on the play using their parameters even though he was ineffective. That's the problem with only using a very limited amount of data to come to a conclusion about something. Limited in volume and scope in this case.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im sorry, but if I wanted to throw a bomb down the field my first pick (even over qb) is Megatron. I could complete a deep pass to that monster