Peyton Manning to the Rams in 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
7c25da81114fa9d77cba99b2b884a282.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Manning to the Rams makes so much sense it is scary:

1. Good weather that will make things easy on that old arm.
2. Young OL that is coming into its own with many 2nd and 3rd year types that have talent.
3. Best young RB in the game to hand off to.
4. Strong defense that ensures he won't be in shootouts every Sunday.
5. Rams can draft a rookie high and redshirt him in 2017 with one of the greatest ever mentoring him. Think about that a moment.
6. QB competition would likely be Keenum/Mannion for backup.
7. After Boras is hired away as head coach Groh moves up to OC and Manning can slide in as passing game OC. And don't tell me that's a jump for him, it's not. He knows more about offense and the passing game than many current coordinators.

All Snead and Fish would need to sell him is acquisition of a good WR in FA and the promise that they'll add a WR and TE in the draft. Payton would be the game manager QB making it all go and mentoring our rookie QB. Win x1 billion.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Foles Part Deux as in we would be regressing again.

Mannion, Mannion, Mannion. :banana:

Not Manning (at this point of his carerr).

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I'd be 110% on board with this, but you can guarantee the chances of this happening are similar to winning that record powerball..

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd hire Manning right now as our OC. He's been calling his own offense for years. With incredible success.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lolz at all the attention this subject is getting. Ain't gonna happen....

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Totally agree. I just figured I had to post it. I wouldn't mind seeing Manning work with Mannion though. I honestly think Mannion is that type of QB.

Alright - calm down everybody. I am not saying Mannion has Manning's talent. But he is a very smart dude, has the size and decent arm talent. With that combination, and mentoring by Peyton - who knows what he can do. Just a thought.

Maybe belongs in it's own thread, (and answer this when your sitting down with a cold one), but why do you like Mannion? I ask this because I know (assume) you watched all his games.
I never saw him play, (like I did Hundley, who personally I wasn't that hot on, despite his press). So just curious. I like Mannion, from his measurables and what I've seen, but don't know much about him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would prefer this route plan instead.....
#1- 9ers dump Kap who goes to the Jets
#2- thus Ryan Fitzpatrick would become a non desirable UFA resign for the Jets.
#3- then Rams can offer the veteran 33 yr old Ryan Fitzpatrick a nice 2 year contract with those clauses for around 8 million contract.
#4- then go into the 2016 draft using the first round selection or some maneuvering to go get that remaining 3rd best QB (likely Paxton Lynch) to go with last yrs 3rd rd pick Sean Mannion.

RamBill

Legend
Peyton Manning to Rams doesn't make much sense for either side
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...o-rams-doesnt-make-much-sense-for-either-side

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- If Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning doesn't want Sunday's Super Bowl to be his last rodeo, perhaps a move to Rodeo Drive could be his final act.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Wednesday that the Rams have had internal discussions about bringing Manning to Los Angeles in 2016. Because Manning is under contract with the Broncos and obviously still has a game to play, the Rams can't and won't publicly comment on any potential interest.

Before we dive too far into this topic, it must be noted that the Rams are discussing any and all potential quarterbacks who could make them better. It'd be silly and neglectful if they weren't, after they finished last in the league in most major passing categories in 2015. So let's keep in mind that Manning is far from the only name they're talking about among quarterbacks and, really, every position.

As for why they'd be discussing Manning, who will turn 40 in March, there's no doubt he would give the Rams plenty of sizzle as they move back to Los Angeles. He has the star power to sell plenty of tickets and jerseys, and he has a long-standing relationship with coach Jeff Fisher. He'd also be an excellent tutor for any quarterback apprentices the Rams would have to back him up.

But that's about where the upside would end. Such a move just doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Rams currently have quarterbacks Case Keenum, Nick Foles and Sean Mannion occupying the three spots on the depth chart. For the vast majority of his career, Manning would have been the ultimate upgrade to a group like that. But that Manning isn't this Manning.

In 2015 he played 10 regular-season games and threw for 2,249 yards, nine touchdowns and 17 interceptions for a passer rating of 67.9. Foles started 11 games and threw for 2,052 yards, seven touchdowns and 10 interceptions for a passer rating of 69.0. Keep in mind those numbers got Foles benched in favor of Keenum, who performed the best of all three with a passer rating of 87.7 in six starts.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that Manning would be a marketing boon for the Rams, it's not as though they are having trouble moving tickets. They've already boasted about the 50,000 or so deposits they've taken for season tickets (with each deposit allowed to buy up to eight tickets). What the Rams need at quarterback is a short- and long-term solution that can help them win and thus sustain those ticket sales for years to come.

That solution would ideally come in the form of one person, but it's hard to see who could be added this offseason to fulfill that need.

This is also a two-way street. Even if whatever internal conversations the Rams had turned serious, there's not many good reasons for Manning to want to sign with them.

Manning has a great chance to ride into the sunset on a Super Bowl appearance or potentially a Super Bowl win. If he decided to hang on for another go, he'd be going to a team that hasn't been to the playoffs since 2004 or had a winning record since 2003. He has proved capable of riding a ship led by a dominant defense to this year's Super Bowl -- but he didn't have to do it in the NFC West. And, for as talented as the Rams are on defense, they aren't the Broncos, who had the league's top-ranked defense in 2015.

Beyond that, the Rams have a young offensive line that still has plenty of developmental work to do and a receiver corps with no top options like Demaryius Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders. Manning also isn't mobile, something Fisher said he wanted when he switched from Foles to Keenum. On Wednesday, Manning told reporters at the Super Bowl that he's going to need hip replacement surgery at some point. He's also dealt with serious neck and foot issues in recent years. That doesn't sound like a guy who needs to be dodging defenders for the Rams.

Through the years, we've seen plenty of all-time greats keep playing even after their primes. It's a right to which they're entitled. Heck, the Rams have even played a prominent role in such a scenario, employing Joe Namath for a final season in 1977.

But if Manning wants to keep playing, it'd be best for both he and the Rams if he does it somewhere else.

jap

Legend
Do you think Manning would retire and come to the Rams as a QB Coach!?!

If he can actually impart knowledge he can be valuable there. Too many superstars rely on sheer instinct (i.e., compiled thought) and cannot really explain their craft to eager students.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#3- then Rams can offer the veteran 33 yr old Ryan Fitzpatrick a nice 2 year contract with those clauses for around 8 million contract.
#4- then go into the 2016 draft using the first round selection or some maneuvering to go get that remaining 3rd best QB (likely Paxton Lynch) to go with last yrs 3rd rd pick Sean Mannion.

Manning even with his old pop-gun arm is a hundred times the QB that Fitz is. If he retires, well, he retires. But if not he would probably make an immense statement in the Rams offense and he's the perfect option to buy our rookie QB some time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe belongs in it's own thread, (and answer this when your sitting down with a cold one), but why do you like Mannion? I ask this because I know (assume) you watched all his games.
I never saw him play, (like I did Hundley, who personally I wasn't that hot on, despite his press). So just curious. I like Mannion, from his measurables and what I've seen, but don't know much about him.
He's very smart. He's a coach's son. He's a pocket passer that played out of a pro set his entire career. While playing out of a pro set rather than a high flying spread, he set Pac 12 passing records. He had Cooks and Wheaton for a couple years but virtually no one else and an O-line that was worse than bad. He can make virtually every throw and has a strong enough arm to rifle it in close (something I don't see in Goff BTW). He has prototypical size and strength. He has a bit of a wind-up on longer throws and his footwork gets a little labored at times.

Part of it I will admit is me being a homer and wanting to see the Oregon State boy lead our Rams. But if I didn't see some real upside with the kid, I wouldn't in a second want him under center. I think he can be a real good QB. Of course, he could end up being a big bodied journeyman ala Clemens or Anderson - to associate him with two other Oregon boys.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
A 39 year old qb who's regressing physically coming off four back surgeries and now needing hip replacement are people really considering him as qb and not OC?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Manning's skillset at this point in his career is so diminished that his presnap reads are all he can really bring to the table. We can do better.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Where do I sign.

We will still have to move up though. That leaves Cle and SF both taking QB's.