Peyton Manning to the Rams in 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK - before you get on me for this article, I think it is EXTREMELY unlikely and wouldn't be in favor of it.

https://ramblinfan.com/2016/01/27/peyton-manning-to-the-los-angeles-rams-in-2016/
by Blaine Grisak

Heading into the Super Bowl, many are saying that if Denver Broncos quarterback, Peyton Manning, wins, he will decide to go out on top and just retire. But what if Manning loses or decided that he still has enough in him to be a game manager for a team ready to take the next step and win.

It could be argued that the Los Angeles Ramswould be in that group of teams as they have playmakers like Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin to go with what is a pretty good defense that can hold their own. Not to mention for a team moving to a new market, having a guy like Manning would help boost ticket sales in the first year.

Will Brinson of CBS Sports joined the Toucher and Rich show hosted by Rich Shertenlieb and Fred “Toucher” Toettcher on Comcast Sportsnet New England when the Peyton Manning to the Rams conversation came up.

Rich: We were talking to Boomer Esiason yesterday and there was an interesting thing he brought up. He seems to be convinced that this is Peyton Manning’s last game, whether Peyton wins or loses the Super Bowl. And his whole idea is that no one’s going to want to pay the kind of money that Peyton’s going to want for a guy this old and to that I say you’ve got a superstar in Peyton Manning. He obviously is not anywhere near what he used to be. Wouldnt the LA Rams, just to make some sort of splash in their first year, just to get people talking about them, possibly throw some money his way just maybe for a couple years give him good money, maybe just to get that name out there and to get into the market with some sort of, you know, splash.

Brinson: Ya, thats a good link, and I mean, isn’t Clevelandwhile not as sexy as Los Angeles, isn’t Cleveland at least a decent bargaining chip for Tom Condon(Manning’s agent) to jack that price up. I mean look, the Browns have, if Josh McCown can go to the free agent market and get $5-million a year then Peyton Manning can get, you know, $15-million from some team that has no hope at quarterback and be a game manager. Certainly for a Rams team that is kind of built like this, I mean I love this idea, it’s kind of built like the Broncos in terms of having a very good defense, an excellent pass rush, better running game with Todd Gurley there. Ya, I think its a fit. I think Peyton Manning, I mean nobody can get in this guys head, I think he walks away if he wins. Just because…

Rich: You want to go out on top, right.

Brinson: You dont get many chances to do that.

Rich: I mean, that I understand, but let’s say they dont win, which many people are predicting. I gotta think too, like, remind me, what was the contract situation of Favre’s last one. Wasn’t it like two mega-years. He signed like $20 million for like two years wasn’t it with the Vikings and then that was it? Like he got a lot of money, but it wasn’t a long-term contract.

Brinson: Ya, Ya, exactly. I mean Peyton Manning could go and say, “Ok LA, how about you give me 2-years, $10 million a year contract. If we make the playoffs, I get a $5-million bonus. If we make the Super Bowl, I get another $5-million bonus.” Because at that point, its worth it for whatever. I mean this is Stan Kroenke. Like he’s taking off his shoes because he’s got a million dollars stuck in there and it’s annoying. Like he’s got that kind of money.

This isn’t the first time that this has been brought up as it’s something that even Trey Wingo brought up on NFL Live on Tuesday. While it is intriguing, I agree with Brinson and Esisason in this situation. Whether Manning wins or loses, he’s most likely going to retire.

He told Bill Belichick, a man that he has high respect of, that this could be his last rodeo. He wouldnt say that if he weren’t at least thinking about retiring.

Manning doesn’t seem like the kind of guy that would do it just for the money. He has nothing left to prove as he’s already one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game. While I would love Manning in a Rams uniform and for him to come to Los Angeles as he’s better than what they have now even at 39, I just dont find it to be a likely situation.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peyton Manning would be next in a line of LA Rams QBs like Joe Namath and Bert Jones.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We're building with youth. Let's keep it that way.
Totally agree. I just figured I had to post it. I wouldn't mind seeing Manning work with Mannion though. I honestly think Mannion is that type of QB.

Alright - calm down everybody. I am not saying Mannion has Manning's talent. But he is a very smart dude, has the size and decent arm talent. With that combination, and mentoring by Peyton - who knows what he can do. Just a thought.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree. I just figured I had to post it. I wouldn't mind seeing Manning work with Mannion though. I honestly think Mannion is that type of QB.

Alright - calm down everybody. I am not saying Mannion has Manning's talent. But he is a very smart dude, has the size and decent arm talent. With that combination, and mentoring by Peyton - who knows what he can do. Just a thought.
I think what you're saying isn't that Mannion has Manning type talent, but that he may have Osweiler talent?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Peyton Manning will play his last game on Sunday, February 7th, win or lose.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This would be great...if for no other reason than tutoring our QBs. Plus even in his current state, he's better than what we have at QB....I realize his numbers weren't good this year - in fact they were worse than our QB team numbers in some respects. But I still think he's better than what we have.

Ram65

Legend

Manning and Mannion are just a few letters different.

Seriously, I'd like to see how he looks in the SB as I missed the Patsies lose to him in the AFC Championship game,. I looked up his wife who is Ashley and part-owner of the Memphis Grizzlies her home town. I doubt he would come to LA. It would be a great story for Hollywood if he came and won a SB. You would think he could really help a young QB like Mannion.

http://heavy.com/sports/2015/09/pey...-bio-couple-dating-history-memphis-grizzlies/

l

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
We're building with youth. Let's keep it that way.

You're not really building off a guy with a 2 year contract. Manning wouldn't be brought in for the future, just to aid the present and work with our future QB. Not saying I'm for or against it, but that would be the logic.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With the cards we're holding, I don't think we should dismiss any idea.

But, I don't see this happening.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Please do, we'd be guaranteed a Super Bowl with him at QB, we're so damn close.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This "writer" is a fan with a website so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You're not really building off a guy with a 2 year contract. Manning wouldn't be brought in for the future, just to aid the present and work with our future QB. Not saying I'm for or against it, but that would be the logic.

Yeah, I get that logic but it postpones getting the QB of the future by a year or two. I'd rather see the Rams either signing a veteran QB or letting Mannion get a good shot at the starting position. I'm guessing that the comments in the OP are correct though, that Kroenke will attempt to get a big-name signing to get butts in the seats.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since Fisher doesn't like to pass the ball Peyton's arm might actually make it another season. That said I think he retires and we're better off for it.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'd rather trade a second round pick for brees. Then, if their top rated qb is available at 15 and they like him better than mannion, take him, if not, take the best wr on the board. I bet they have at least one rated that high.

Brees plus the best receiver in the draft would be a nice way to kick the door in Lenny and sguiggy style, and say, "HELLO!"