Peyton Beat The Chargers With Hard Counts, And “omaha”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Peyton Manning didn’t only use his arm to beat the Chargers on Sunday. He also used his voice.

Manning’s hard count so frustrated the Chargers that they were flagged for neutral zone infractions a whopping five times. That was very unlike the Chargers: According to NFLPenalties.com, the Chargers had only three neutral zone infraction penalties in their previous 17 games.

But the hard count wasn’t the aspect of Manning’s cadence that had people talking during the Chargers-Broncos game. What really got everyone’s attention was the way Manning yelled “Omaha” dozens of times during the game.

We don’t know what exactly “Omaha” means in the Broncos’ offense, but “Omaha” has long been a part of the football lexicon. Tom Brady has used it in the past as part of the Patriots’ signal-calling, and NBC’s Cris Collinsworth noted during a 2009 game that Peyton’s brother Eli Manning seemed to be tipping the Cowboys off to the Giants’ snap count because whenever Eli yelled “Omaha,” the next word out of his mouth was the signal for center to snap the ball.

If Peyton has any similar tells for his use of “Omaha,” the Chargers weren’t able to figure it out. Perhaps Patriots coach Bill Belichick can crack the code.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how many times Manning set them up by appearing to have a pattern to his cadence and then switching it up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Gotta say it won't work that well against NE, the Chargers were convinced their best chance to stop Manning was to make him ,hurry hurry:cool:.

I am always amazed how people playing in Seattle have no time to get plays off and Manning seems to get 45 seconds

A55VA6

Legend
I want to know what Omaha means. He said it 44 times that game! lol

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I want to know what Omaha means. He said it 44 times that game! lol
I've seen it used in Pe Wee football and it means whatever you want it to.
IMO Sunday it had no meaning just was saying it to make the Chrgers try to figure out what it meant.
If I was estimating I'd say 60 % of what Payton says pre snap is pure diversionary verbiage to throw the defense off the real audible ,IF there is one.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Peyton Manning didn’t only use his arm to beat the Chargers on Sunday. He also used his voice.

Manning’s hard count so frustrated the Chargers that they were flagged for neutral zone infractions a whopping five times. That was very unlike the Chargers: According to NFLPenalties.com, the Chargers had only three neutral zone infraction penalties in their previous 17 games.

But the hard count wasn’t the aspect of Manning’s cadence that had people talking during the Chargers-Broncos game. What really got everyone’s attention was the way Manning yelled “Omaha” dozens of times during the game.

We don’t know what exactly “Omaha” means in the Broncos’ offense, but “Omaha” has long been a part of the football lexicon. Tom Brady has used it in the past as part of the Patriots’ signal-calling, and NBC’s Cris Collinsworth noted during a 2009 game that Peyton’s brother Eli Manning seemed to be tipping the Cowboys off to the Giants’ snap count because whenever Eli yelled “Omaha,” the next word out of his mouth was the signal for center to snap the ball.

If Peyton has any similar tells for his use of “Omaha,” the Chargers weren’t able to figure it out. Perhaps Patriots coach Bill Belichick can crack the code.

Although I've heard Payton yell "Omaha" every time I watch him play.
So, I'm not sure I get the Omaha connection.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've seen it used in Pe Wee football and it means whatever you want it to.
IMO Sunday it had no meaning just was saying it to make the Chrgers try to figure out what it meant.
If I was estimating I'd say 60 % of what Payton says pre snap is pure diversionary verbiage to throw the defense off the real audible ,IF there is one.

He said so in an interview. Sometimes its all just gyrations to get the defense to second guess themselves and it throws out bad information that they try to de-code.

Even "Omaha" might have meaning only some of the time. If he says it three times in a row for instance maybe then it has real meaning or whatever.

Clever stuff. I like the subterfuge.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Peyton told the team before the game that it was going to be code for "This defense is my bitch", and you could see the guys on the sidelines giggling every time he yelled it out.

No, not really.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'd come up with something much more ridiculous if it was me.

"bunghole! Bunghole!"... or " sharted! sharted!"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Idk but it makes for an excellent drinking game when you don't care who wins.
44 shots? Man ... not even when I was in my 20's could I have handled that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
44 shots? Man ... not even when I was in my 20's could I have handled that.
Oh hell no X. Beer chugging/drinking/sipping.
I wouldn't make it to halftime if shots were involved.

"Omaha!"