Pettis restructures his contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

How much was he getting paid? I assume he was still on his rookie contract under the current CBA?

It doesn't seem like the savings could be that substantial.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't have the official numbers but ...

@Jason_OTC: Per NFLPA records Pettis' base salary dropped from $1.431 to $700,000. #Rams

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Damn. Of all the players on the team, he's one of the last I would think would be approached for a restructure.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The article mentions that it would seem that Pettis will be on the roster for the duration of this year due to the restructure. I hope that is the case. I think there is definitely a place for him on this team.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Mr. Hands.

He's an underrated situational receiver. 4th and 7 and you know who I'm looking for.

Irish

Starter
Few guys are as dependable in the red zone as Austin Pettis. He is like a dominant pass rusher: he may not be able to do anything else, but catching 5-10 yard TDs is a skill that will ALWAYS get you paid and keep you employed

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bye bye to Givens!

Why? Too much speed, Givens will stay IMO when Bailey gets back barring injury they will be another move like Jones to IR or if Johnson is coming back quicker than expected one of the CB's to the PS.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
wow, he must have been terrified when he got the call, then relieved when they just asked for a lil money back...He definitely is in the make or break stage of his Rams career.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Why? Too much speed, Givens will stay IMO when Bailey gets back barring injury they will be another move like Jones to IR or if Johnson is coming back quicker than expected one of the CB's to the PS.

And dress 6WRs? Would be unusual. Even if they kept him on the roster, one of those 6 will be inactive on game day.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Chris Long got in on the fun

@brian_mcintyre: Rams converted $3M of Chris Long’s base salary into a signing bonus, lowered cap number by $2M.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
per ESPN: "Rams DE Chris Long restructured contract to create $2M in salary cap space"

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Exactly, this is nothing more than moving dollars from this year to next year.

Actually, I think it's all this year. He took a pay cut to stay on the team for this year - I believe he is still a free agent next season and now makes less this year than he otherwise would have - but he gets a gtd 250k bonus which makes us think he will stay on the roster for the rest of this season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Actually, I think it's all this year. He took a pay cut to stay on the team for this year - I believe he is still a free agent next season and now makes less this year than he otherwise would have - but he gets a gtd 250k bonus which makes us think he will stay on the roster for the rest of this season.

You could be right, but even if he isn't on the team next year his salary can be on the books. I guess I need a little more detail, but it appears the Rams are making some room to make a move or two.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think they needed these moves just to remain where they are. They were right there at the cap.