Pettis perseveres to come up big for Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Pettis perseveres to come up big for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11694/pettis-perseveres-to-come-up-big-for-rams

TAMPA, Fla. -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis wasn't the only Austin who had lingered toward the bottom of the depth chart only to come up with big plays in the team's 19-17 win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday.

Wide receiver Austin Pettis took full advantage of an expanded opportunity after a second-quarter knee injury toTavon Austin. Once one of the team's starting receivers, Pettis entered the season fifth or sixth among the team's wideouts.

But just because Pettis' role has decreased doesn't mean his ability to come through in important situations has faded. After coming on in relief of Austin, Pettis finished with three catches for 46 yards, including an acrobatic 27-yard grab down the seam to set up the game winning field goal.

"We have a lot of good receivers in the room, a lot of talent we can put on the field, and I’ve been kind of put in a backup role," Pettis said. "Unfortunately Tavon got a little banged up today but for us we have been rotating a lot of guys throughout OTAs and camp preparing for different scenarios."

Even with that work being done in practice, there's no way to simulate a scenario like Pettis provided Sunday. On third-and-9 from the Rams' 48 with 1:55 to go, the offense spread things out with four receivers running vertical routes straight down the field. Davis looked off receiver Kenny Britt and fired down the seam for Pettis, who went up to get it over cornerback Leonard Johnson.

As Pettis came down with the ball, however, Tampa Bay safety Dashon Goldson came over and delivered a crushing blow only to see Pettis find a way to hang on to the ball.

"At that point in the game you want to make a big play and I kind of thrive in those kind of situations," Pettis said. "I came off the line and kind of had a feeling the ball was going to come to me on that play so I knew I had to come down with it no matter what."

Three running plays later, Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein booted the game-winning field goal. Considering that just last week Pettis played a total of 10 snaps without so much as a target, it would seem far-fetched for him to provide such big plays. But it actually has been something of a theme for Pettis to come up with quality over quantity with his catches.

In 2012, Pettis made a difficult catch on fourth-and-1 to keep a game-winning drive going against Buffalo in Week 14 and also had a touchdown grab late in the fourth quarter to briefly give the Rams a lead in an eventual tie at San Francisco in Week 10.

“Pettis is a team player," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He helps the young guys. He knows exactly what to do. Every time you give him a chance to make a play he makes one.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turning point play: Two Austins connect
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11712/turning-point-play-two-austins-connect

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Here's this week's look back at the turning point play from the St. Louis Rams' 19-17 win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

The situation: With 1:55 remaining, the Rams trailed 17-16 and had the ball on third-and-9 at their 48. Quarterback Austin Davis had narrowly missed a pass to tight end Lance Kendricks on second down and the Rams needed more yards to get in range for a potential game-winning field goal from kicker Greg Zuerlein. At that point, both teams had all three timeouts remaining.

The play: Davis lined up in the shotgun with receiver Brian Quick split wide to the left and three receivers to the right. Tight end Jared Cook lined up closest to the line of scrimmage with receiver Kenny Britt out wide and fellow receiver Austin Pettis in between. Running back Benny Cunningham lined up to Davis' left in the backfield.

The Bucs lined up with four down linemen and two linebackers set up between the defensive tackles. At the snap, both linebackers blitzed up the middle, leaving one blocker for every pass-rusher. Cunningham stepped up and met linebacker Lavonte David head on in the hole, knocking David off his path to the quarterback. Everyone else picked up their assignment with the notable exception of right guard Davin Joseph, who was quickly beaten by Bucs defensive end Da'Quan Bowers.

As Bowers quickly closed on Davis, the receivers all ran vertical routes down the field, leaving no check down or quick options for Davis. His initial read was to look for Britt on the outside but safety Mark Barron appeared to be rolling coverage to Britt pre-snap. At the snap, Barron actually diverted inside to Cook, leaving Pettis one-on-one down the seam against cornerback Leonard Johnson.

Just before Bowers delivered a big hit, Davis stepped up and flung it in the direction of Pettis.

"I hitched up and fired it as hard as I could and prayed to the Lord it would get caught," Davis said.

Pettis reached back and hauled it in over Johnson but his work was far from done. Tampa Bay safety Dashon Goldson closed quickly as Pettis came down with the ball and delivered a crushing hit that easily could've jarred the ball loose.

But Pettis managed to hang on for a gain of 27 yards to Tampa Bay's 25 with 1:50 to go.

The fallout: Davis had remained calm the whole game but couldn't contain his excitement after the completion. After the game, Davis said he let it out a bit because he knew what was coming next.

"I tried to hold it in and stay composed the whole game but it got away from me after that one was complete because I knew we were going to run the ball, Greg was going to make the kick and the defense was going to hold," Davis said.

As it turned out, that's exactly what happened as Zuerlein booted the game-winning 38-yard field goal and the defense did just enough to get a stop on Tampa's ensuing possession as the Rams claimed their first victory of the season.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've just gotta say this ...

Right before the ball was snapped on one of the 3rd down conversions yesterday... I screamed, "they're going to Pettis".

1st Down

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
New respect for Austin Pettis...Wish he'd show a lil emotion....earn your reps Austin....Quick & Britt can't do it all.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watch wide receiver Austin Pettis talk with the media after the Rams victory over the Buccaneers. Pettis: ” I had a good feeling the ball was coming to me” (1:30)

Watch Pettis' Comments

MFaulk107

The Realness
Pettis has great hands. Dude is such clutch player. He showed he still deserves a spot on this team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I tried to hold it in and stay composed the whole game but it got away from me after that one was complete because I knew we were going to run the ball, Greg was going to make the kick and the defense was going to hold," Davis said.
I couldn't either!! at that point I knew we had the Win!! And what's MOST important, I'd gone "All-in" betting Only on the Ram game (ROD $$$) and WON BIG!! :D :D :D :D