Pettis CLUTCH catch on 4th down (winning drive)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
X said:
brokeu91 said:
That was a great catch. He has great hands. The ball was behind him, and that's the type of pass that Sam is money at. i wonder if he was supposed to stop at that spot in the zone, and that's why it looked like it was behind him. Anyways it was still a great, clutch catch.

If Pettis had some speed he could be a really good WR. He runs good routes and has great hands, it's just that he's not that fast. I think he could be a pretty good possession WR.
I've seen that happen a couple of times. Where Bradford either led the receiver and the receiver was supposed to "sit" in the zone, or he threw it into the zone and the receiver kept going. It's one of those hiccups that happen as Sam and his receivers work to get on the same page in not only the playbook, but also on those sight adjustments. Bad throw, miscommunication, whatever it was ... it was a slick hookup. Especially when you consider how wet the football was.

As for Pettis' speed, he's middle of the road. He and Gibson have similar 40 times and Gibson can get open in zone coverage. I think Austin is better at making tough catches in man coverage and can get a little bit of separation whereas Gibson beats the shit out of zone coverage and makes a lot of DBs look silly. Now if they can both string some consistency together, we might have something. Good complementary receivers to go along with Givens and Amendola.

Now, that said, someone - anyone - go get me a legit #1 receiver in the Fitz/AJ/Johnson/Megatron mode please.

After that utterly humiliating beatdown the Seahawks provided, I'm prepared to offer that Redskins first rounder to AZ for Fitz. Anyone with me?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:
That was a great catch. He has great hands. The ball was behind him, and that's the type of pass that Sam is money at. i wonder if he was supposed to stop at that spot in the zone, and that's why it looked like it was behind him. Anyways it was still a great, clutch catch.

If Pettis had some speed he could be a really good WR. He runs good routes and has great hands, it's just that he's not that fast. I think he could be a pretty good possession WR.
I've seen that happen a couple of times. Where Bradford either led the receiver and the receiver was supposed to "sit" in the zone, or he threw it into the zone and the receiver kept going. It's one of those hiccups that happen as Sam and his receivers work to get on the same page in not only the playbook, but also on those sight adjustments. Bad throw, miscommunication, whatever it was ... it was a slick hookup. Especially when you consider how wet the football was.

As for Pettis' speed, he's middle of the road. He and Gibson have similar 40 times and Gibson can get open in zone coverage. I think Austin is better at making tough catches in man coverage and can get a little bit of separation whereas Gibson beats the shit out of zone coverage and makes a lot of DBs look silly. Now if they can both string some consistency together, we might have something. Good complementary receivers to go along with Givens and Amendola.

Now, that said, someone - anyone - go get me a legit #1 receiver in the Fitz/AJ/Johnson/Megatron mode please.

After that utterly humiliating beatdown the Seahawks provided, I'm prepared to offer that Redskins first rounder to AZ for Fitz. Anyone with me?
29 years old? He's good for 3 more years. I'd probably do it.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
X said:
Warner4Prez said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:

29 years old? He's good for 3 more years. I'd probably do it.

Hell yeah man! The money is a bit much, but let's face it, he's worth every damn penny. He'd put butts in the seat as he answers that calling for a playmaker. Also PFT had a blurb where Fitz' old man was saying he was talking to Larry about getting out of Arizona while he still could.
I'd say with the state of that team where it is right now, looking at a likely 12 game losing streak and cleaning out the coaching staff/FO at the end of the year...total sellers' market. Ya hear me Snead?!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
Hell yeah man! The money is a bit much, but let's face it, he's worth every damn penny. He'd put butts in the seat as he answers that calling for a playmaker. Also PFT had a blurb where Fitz' old man was saying he was talking to Larry about getting out of Arizona while he still could.
I'd say with the state of that team where it is right now, looking at a likely 12 game losing streak and cleaning out the coaching staff/FO at the end of the year...total sellers' market. Ya hear me Snead?!
The only problem would be the cap hit. We have a lot of money tied up in players. Bradford, Long, Laurinaitis, Jackson (maybe). Fitz is a top 5 receiver and commands top 5 money. If they were to do that, as improbable as it is, they would have to hit pay dirt on late rounders and UDFA's at other areas of need. Like safety. And safety.

Oh, and safety.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
X said:
Warner4Prez said:
The only problem would be the cap hit. We have a lot of money tied up in players. Bradford, Long, Laurinaitis, Jackson (maybe). Fitz is a top 5 receiver and commands top 5 money. If they were to do that, as improbable as it is, they would have to hit pay dirt on late rounders and UDFA's at other areas of need. Like safety. And safety.

Oh, and safety.

You forgot about our need(s) at safety.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Warner4Prez said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:

I would. I feel bat for Fitz, having to be wasted there. Imagine how he'd do with Bradford throwing to him. I'm sure he cries himself to sleeping holding a Warner jersey in his hands.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner4Prez said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:

that would be a dream come true, especially for bradford. fitz is one of my favourite players in the league, i'd be ecstatic if the rams traded for him. he's worth every cent he gets and he would transform the rams offense instantly. imagine trying to cover amendola and givens if fitz is out there with them.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
bluecoconuts said:
I'm sure he cries himself to sleeping holding a Warner jersey in his hands.

I used to do that too ... still do after a loss sometimes ... ;)

F. Mulder

Starter
He needs to be a master route runner. He has the hands but lacks the speed and second move to be a big play WR. However, if he can run his routes with perfection he can be a tough 3rd down and red zone WR, which is what I envisioned for him initially.

Now the returning is another thing............ :|

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
F. Mulder said:
He needs to be a master route runner. He has the hands but lacks the speed and second move to be a big play WR. However, if he can run his routes with perfection he can be a tough 3rd down and red zone WR, which is what I envisioned for him initially.

This is a well placed horseshoe directly on the pin.

He's got some tools (size, hands) but he needs to be put in situations where those tools are maximized.

If he can improve his routes, his role could expand.

Until then, he looks like a role player to me.

And... I sure hope we find someone else to back up DA on punts next year!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:

This is a well placed horseshoe directly on the pin.

He's got some tools (size, hands) but he needs to be put in situations where those tools are maximized.

If he can improve his routes, his role could expand.

Until then, he looks like a role player to me.

And... I sure hope we find someone else to back up DA on punts next year!
That's about right. The thing I like about him is his incredible range. Like Fisher says, he makes catches "out of frame." That obviously came in pretty handy last week, and it can serve Bradford well down the seam and on crossing patterns. I see maybe more potential in him than you two, but it's all good. Sooner or later we'll get a better evaluation of him as his plays increase.

Maybe you've seen this, maybe not. But I made a video of all of his catches last year. I'm gonna do it again after the season is over, but this gave me a pretty good prelude into what we have with Pettis, and I'm pretty stoked to see what happens when he gets comfortable in THIS scheme.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NyU9Vth_4[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:

After the game, Pettis said it was a read route, and that he cut up field faster than normal to get into the hole. Sam probably just read it a little differently. Fantastic catch. I just want to see more consistency out of ALL of the receivers.