Pettis CLUTCH catch on 4th down (winning drive)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This game had it's share of not-so-impressive plays...

But this catch by Pettis was CLUTCH. We don't win without it.

[nfl]0ap2000000107938[/nfl]

Wow... just wow!

He earned his roster spot with that one.

EDITED BY X
REASON: Fixed Video
(Just paste the series of letters and numbers into the nfl tags. e.g., 0ap2000000107938).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Very clutch catch. Man Gibby just has those games some times. A real monster for him as well. They took Givens away for a lot of the game. Good to see others step up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pettis' range is phenomenal. It's only his 2nd year (first, if you discount double scratch 2011), so I can see him to continue to develop into a great possession receiver. He was known for his hands in college, and now we know why. He certainly made up for running short of the sticks on the previous possession.

Just a great job by Austin. :clap:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
Man Gibby just has those games some times. A real monster for him as well.

I can't figure Gibson out.

He was a non factor last week.

Today, he had his token drop (again) but blows it up for 100yd day. Go figure.

I think he's the type of player that can exploit match ups so long as he's not the first or second priority for the defensive secondary.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

I think he's the type of player that can exploit match ups so long as he's not the first or second priority for the defensive secondary.
He's an enigma for sure. Sometimes he flashes like one of the better receivers in the league, and then he just flat out disappears. I think he'd be a TREMENDOUS option for this team as a 3rd option going against nickel corners. Even though he can beat some of the better corners in the league sometimes, it just doesn't happen consistently. I'll bet he could smoke every nickel corner out there though.

Very clutch game for him today, all things considered.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
He's an enigma for sure. Sometimes he flashes like one of the better receivers in the league, and then he just flat out disappears. I think he'd be a TREMENDOUS option for this team as a 3rd option going against nickel corners. Even though he can beat some of the better corners in the league sometimes, it just doesn't happen consistently. I'll bet he could smoke every nickel corner out there though.

I swear, last week I was ready to run him off the team. And... it's not the first time I felt that way.

This week; I tend to agree with you. Maybe if we beef up the talent at WR around him, he can get the match ups he needs.

:idk:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Damn Pettis. It was a beauty! Arms of rubber, hands of glue. Instantly I wanted to throw something, because I thought no way anyone comes up with that ball. And then...a victory.

bluecoconuts

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

He could be a real good player if he was consistent enough. I think it's mostly mental, some days he's real focused and some games he's lazy on routes, runs the wrong way, etc. All about consistency.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's odd though. Was he not targeted ZERO times the past two or three weeks? Last week I think he had the most snaps but ZERO targets. How does that even work? Personally, I like Gibby and think he has done enough to stick. Not sure that happens though. I guess I'll just believe in Fish over MY NFL prowess.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pettis has done more than enough to stick on this team. Let's not forget that he was returning punts as well, and he's done a pretty good job with that. He may not break a huge return, but he gets positive yards, and he doesn't drop anything. This catch just solidifies my stance.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Pettis has been coming on as of late. Heck, I think he was coming on in the middle of last season. Some WRs burst onto the scene from Day 1 while others come in a little later. We've seen that with Givens and Quick has shown his potential. Hell, he showed it today when he used his body to get that extra yard on 3rd and 5.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lesson said:
Pettis has been coming on as of late. Heck, I think he was coming on in the middle of last season. Some WRs burst onto the scene from Day 1 while others come in a little later. We've seen that with Givens and Quick has shown his potential. Hell, he showed it today when he used his body to get that extra yard on 3rd and 5.

I did like that he obviously was aware of where first down was this time.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RamFan503 said:
Lesson said:

I did like that he obviously was aware of where first down was this time.

Man he was so frustrating to watch...or hear about. But hey, better making a play at the biggest moment of the game than never.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That was a great catch. He has great hands. The ball was behind him, and that's the type of pass that Sam is money at. i wonder if he was supposed to stop at that spot in the zone, and that's why it looked like it was behind him. Anyways it was still a great, clutch catch.

If Pettis had some speed he could be a really good WR. He runs good routes and has great hands, it's just that he's not that fast. I think he could be a pretty good possession WR.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
That was a great catch. He has great hands. The ball was behind him, and that's the type of pass that Sam is money at. i wonder if he was supposed to stop at that spot in the zone, and that's why it looked like it was behind him. Anyways it was still a great, clutch catch.

If Pettis had some speed he could be a really good WR. He runs good routes and has great hands, it's just that he's not that fast. I think he could be a pretty good possession WR.
I've seen that happen a couple of times. Where Bradford either led the receiver and the receiver was supposed to "sit" in the zone, or he threw it into the zone and the receiver kept going. It's one of those hiccups that happen as Sam and his receivers work to get on the same page in not only the playbook, but also on those sight adjustments. Bad throw, miscommunication, whatever it was ... it was a slick hookup. Especially when you consider how wet the football was.

As for Pettis' speed, he's middle of the road. He and Gibson have similar 40 times and Gibson can get open in zone coverage. I think Austin is better at making tough catches in man coverage and can get a little bit of separation whereas Gibson beats the shit out of zone coverage and makes a lot of DBs look silly. Now if they can both string some consistency together, we might have something. Good complementary receivers to go along with Givens and Amendola.

Now, that said, someone - anyone - go get me a legit #1 receiver in the Fitz/AJ/Johnson/Megatron mode please.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It was the type of catch that we saw on his highlite vid. attacking the ball.
He catches it what he needs is to be open and JMO when Quick is who he pretends to be DA and Givens are on the field Pettis will be wide open and like I said he catches it, IMO heza keeper and we have all the tallent we need they just need to be all we expect them to be.
BTW Gibby as well, IMO if we take a chance 4th round on another burner I'm good, we need safeties, their TE killed us yesterday, without him IMO we'd have had as hot to shut them out.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

I can't stand the guy. He's too inconsistent, but he sure does come up with spectacular plays at times. Like you stated, if he isn't the main focus he will exploit other match ups. If Quick ever becomes that true starter that we hoped for it will be a good group of WR's. Quick, Danny, Givens, and have Gibson at the 4th spot. Steve smith just isn't good to me. They need to let him go next season.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Pettis 5 targets, 5 catches.

Even though Gibson had a decent day, I still think we can do better than him.