Peterson suspended the rest of the season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
141118085346-adrian-peterson-file-story-top.jpg

Adrian Peterson has been suspended without pay for the rest of the 2014 season.
Peterson pleaded no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault this month.

CNN) -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson learned Tuesday he will be suspended without pay for the rest of the 2014 NFL season, according to an NFL statement.

He will not be reinstated before April 15 because he violated the league's personal conduct policy "in an incident of abusive discipline that he inflicted on his four-year-old son last May," the league said.

Peterson has been on the exempt/commissioner's permission list -- which kept him off the field, with pay -- since September after allegations he disciplined his 4-year-old son too harshly with a "switch" or thin stick. Initially charged with felony child abuse,Peterson pleaded no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault this month.

"The timing of your potential reinstatement will be based on the results of the counseling and treatment program set forth in this decision," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to Peterson. "Under this two-step approach, the precise length of the suspension will depend on your actions. We are prepared to put in place a program that can help you to succeed, but no program can succeed without your genuine and continuing engagement."

His reinstatement also hinges on his rehabilitation, how he cares for his children and whether he commits further violations of the law or league policy, the letter stated.

Peterson has three days to appeal the decision. If he does, a hearing will be scheduled and Peterson -- with the counsel of a lawyer and the NFL Players Association -- can present evidence in support of his appeal.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/us/adrian-peterson-suspended-for-season/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
And the Players Union appeals in 3, 2, 1...

moklerman

Warner-phile
He gets a year for a first offense? For something that isn't even a crime in the state where it happened? What a world.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wonder if they can........ I wonder what the CBA allows for in cases like this. I know a lot of this is in flux but for instance Ray Rice got two games originally because that is exactly what the CBA calls forand I wonder if it treats children the same as spouses or girlfriends.

There may not even be a provision in there for the type of thing........ I guess that we will find out soon.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He gets a year for a first offense? For something that isn't even a crime in the state where it happened? What a world.

Who said it wasn't a crime? Didn't he plea to reckless injury to a child?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I wonder if they can........ I wonder what the CBA allows for in cases like this. I know a lot of this is in flux but for instance Ray Rice got two games originally because that is exactly what the CBA calls forand I wonder if it treats children the same as spouses or girlfriends.

There may not even be a provision in there for the type of thing........ I guess that we will find out soon.
As I recall, and keep in mind I drink, a lot, penalties are stiffer for children, pregnant women and instances in which children are present.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta love the arbitrary punishments of Roger Goodell.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As I recall, and keep in mind I drink, a lot, penalties are stiffer for children, pregnant women and instances in which children are present.

good memory you are correct now I am wondering if they have parameters like X amount of games minimum X amount of games maximum.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Gotta love the arbitrary punishments of Roger Goodell.

Except they're actually not arbitrary they are spelled out in the CBA pretty clearly and concisely or at least there is a framework or set of parameters in place.

........ that's why I'm curious what it says in the CDAt because I'd be willing to bet that this is the maximum and that Goodell came down on him full force because of the stupidity of what he did and of course then compounding that stupidity by admitting he smoked a little weed while he was suspended and then the fact that his attitude has been very cavalier about it all from the start.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except they're actually not arbitrary they are spelled out in the CBA pretty clearly and concisely or at least there is a framework or set of parameters in place.

........ that's why I'm curious what it says in the CDAt because I'd be willing to bet that this is the maximum and that Goodell came down on him full force because of the stupidity of what he did and of course then compounding that stupidity by admitting he smoked a little weed while he was suspended and then the fact that his attitude has been very cavalier about it all from the start.

They're arbitrary. Ray Rice was given two games and then suspended again for the same reason because of the media storm. That's about as arbitrary as it gets.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think your correct, and I no-longer drink, But I am Old!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They're arbitrary. Ray Rice was given two games and then suspended again for the same reason because of the media storm. That's about as arbitrary as it gets.

OK we can quibble but for the most part the punishment is mandated by the CBA and there is little wiggle room.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, except it's not a year. He played week one against the Rams, and then he was on the exempt list with pay while facing the legal fallout. Now that he plea bargained to a lesser charge, he is being suspended for the rest of the season - 6 games.

And yes it was a crime, or he wouldn't have accepted a plea bargain.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He went to court. You don't get arrested, charged, and tried for something that isn't a crime.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He plead no contest, which is not an admission of guilt, but it is also a statement of innocence. Getting a plea deal isn't exactly a redeeming quality for a child abuse case. He shouldn't be allowed to play at all in the NFL, and I'm stunned he didn't face any jail time. The worst part about this whole situation is that every media outlet is so caught up in his chance to get back in the NFL they forget the real story, his son.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I just wonder if the "court of public opinion" holds themselves to the same standards, my god what a blood thirsty, self-righteous nation we've become...this was a first offense, what he did was big time wrong, but if he was disciplined that way as a child I can sorta understand his miss-guidance. (not that I condone it)

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
You really think they'll touch that one with a ten foot pole?
Yes they will and FWIW if they don't they should be disbanded,NOT that I'm in any way defending Peterson, but the union is his paid advocate and they have to represent their members .
They aren't a PR firm ,what any of us think of them is irrelevant

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The worst part about this whole situation is that every media outlet is so caught up in his chance to get back in the NFL they forget the real story, his son.
While I understand that his son will probably at least have a college education regardless of what happens to the rest of Peterson's career, I just don't see how continuing to punish the man's employment situation will help his son in any way. That is maximizing an opportunity to make an example out of a public figure as ... an agenda for prevention? Or is it just revenge?

I'm sorry, but putting the kid first and destroying the father's career are actually quite contradictory. The child will be watched like a hawk from this point on and protected.

The very real, and personal issue of whether or not Peterson can repair whatever relationship he has with his son is exactly on him, and it will be something he has to work for, should he choose to do so now that he has a different perspective.

And I do think that the NFL has to distance themselves from this instance as cleanly as possible for the reputation of their product.