Peter Schrager Wants to see Goff vs Raiders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Keenum was a pretty all-around crappy QB, but he was absolutely fearless - which is why I kind of rallied behind him. [/QUOTE]

Me too-- gotta love guys that try so hard!

TexasRam

Legend
Never in the History of the NFL has a second preseason game been important or defining for a QB.

What Jared will be at the NFL level is not limited to the preseason, or 1st regular season game or first 4 games for that matter.

We need a long term perspective. We look for signs of competence and incremental growth. Some QB's have quick success but the majority improve a few years in as they master the system.

And by the way, every QB has a bad game. And it doesn't define them. The season totals are what they are judged by. Some of you may remember the games where we completely shut down Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning or Drew Bree's. It happens. All 3 of those have also completely torched us also.

In not making anything of tonight's game outside of "hoping to see a few completions strung together" which is what Jared and Mcvay have said.

Having said that here is what I would love to see:

• Pushing the ball downfield. Incomplete or not, start getting a feel for hitting your talented WR's deep. If nothing else this opens up the run game a little.

• Quick setup and decisions by Goff.

• Unpredictable tempo. Quick passes, pump fakes, longer developing routes etc. Don't show a predictable internal clock of when the ball comes out.

• Mobility - a big reason Goff was drafted and a huge part of his game we haven't seen a lot. Show us that you can slide around in the pocket avoiding rush and find the open WR for a big completion that instead of a sack becomes a positive gainer.

• Energy and passion. Show some competitive spirit and how badly you want to win and are taking this team on your back to get it done!

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
against a vanilla scheme, and one of the worst defenses in 2016? Why not? This is game two...we should be moving the ball...scoring is different...but 5-6 yards per play is definitely possible.
7 of 11, 85 yards. That will do for Goff. 200 yards is not realistic.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If Goff passed for 100 yards in a quarter of football, I might just lose my mind...lol. More importantly, it would be so fun hearing Keyshawn Johnson explain just how that really proves that he is still a bust...lol
Meshawn would say, It's preseason, it doesn't matter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok jrry32, there may have been very slight progression from first target on one or two plays by Goff, but they were so slight that I had to go in slow motion to see them, and they were toward the one side of the field where more than one WR was operating close by. Goff did pretty well, overall...We need a greater sample size to see what we have with him, imo.

On the boot-leg to Kupp, I bet he was reading that high to low. Which meant that he more or less went through three progressions. You're not going to see a QB going through progressions a lot of time because they decide pre-snap which side of the field to attack and often have a three receiver progression for that side of the field.(but since the receivers are fairly close together, you're not going to see much head movement)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the boot-leg to Kupp, I bet he was reading that high to low. Which meant that he more or less went through three progressions. You're not going to see a QB going through progressions a lot of time because they decide pre-snap which side of the field to attack and often have a three receiver progression for that side of the field.(but since the receivers are fairly close together, you're not going to see much head movement)
On the Kupp bootleg, Kupp and he were almost dancing across the field from each other and Kupp was never tailed by any defender...In this case, I don't blame Goff at all for not considering any other player besides Kupp, because the initial deception was the fake hand off to Gurley and Kupp was wide open.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Naw, don't hate on Schrager. He's been one of the only people in the media speaking positively of the Rams, and from day one has shown all-around excitement for McVay and what he can do with this team. Aside from that (or maybe because of it, heh), I find most of what he says to be well-thought out and well-stated. He's someone with considered opinions that doesn't blow with the wind.

Anyway, yeah, sticking up for a guy I respect. I like the whole cast of GMFB though, they've got a good conversational atmosphere and they're not negative hot-takers.

And really, more to the point of what he's saying, don't we all want to see Goff perform, and show progress? It's fine that we all have confidence in him, and it's merited, I believe, but he still needs to show it. All this guy is saying is, look, let's see what he does against a genuine defense (I don't really count the cowboys defense as a good example of a starting NFL defense, especially looking at the injuries they've got, on top of a pretty poor collection of defensive talent), so that we can start to know what Jared Goff is going to be this year, rather than speculate, hope, or imagine. So yeah, I'm anxious to see that myself, and hoping we get a good look at it in this game.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Agreed

Shraeger was a nobody that worked his way into the spotlight. I respect that, but I can't figure for the life of me, how he did it. I don't know what he adds. He doesn't come across as a serious professional, but more of an excited fanboy.
I don't care for his giddy tone and "I'm in the know" smile.
I like Shraeger he is one of the few,who doesn't dog the Rams at every chance.
He said Kupp would catch 70 balls this year.Been a fan every since.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Never in the History of the NFL has a second preseason game been important or defining for a QB.

What Jared will be at the NFL level is not limited to the preseason, or 1st regular season game or first 4 games for that matter.

We need a long term perspective. We look for signs of competence and incremental growth. Some QB's have quick success but the majority improve a few years in as they master the system.

And by the way, every QB has a bad game. And it doesn't define them. The season totals are what they are judged by. Some of you may remember the games where we completely shut down Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning or Drew Bree's. It happens. All 3 of those have also completely torched us also.

In not making anything of tonight's game outside of "hoping to see a few completions strung together" which is what Jared and Mcvay have said.

Having said that here is what I would love to see:

• Pushing the ball downfield. Incomplete or not, start getting a feel for hitting your talented WR's deep. If nothing else this opens up the run game a little.

• Quick setup and decisions by Goff.

• Unpredictable tempo. Quick passes, pump fakes, longer developing routes etc. Don't show a predictable internal clock of when the ball comes out.

• Mobility - a big reason Goff was drafted and a huge part of his game we haven't seen a lot. Show us that you can slide around in the pocket avoiding rush and find the open WR for a big completion that instead of a sack becomes a positive gainer.

• Energy and passion. Show some competitive spirit and how badly you want to win and are taking this team on your back to get it done!
McVay couldn't have said that any better!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Shraeger he is one of the few,who doesn't dog the Rams at every chance.
He said Kupp would catch 70 balls this year.Been a fan every since.

He had some kind of in for Rams info. He is showing appreciation, I bet. He knew about Everrett before the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the Kupp bootleg, Kupp and he were almost dancing across the field from each other and Kupp was never tailed by any defender...In this case, I don't blame Goff at all for not considering any other player besides Kupp, because the initial deception was the fake hand off to Gurley and Kupp was wide open.

I bet Goff did consider other players. I'd have to review the coach's film to know for sure, but you generally send a WR deep. In McVay's scheme, I expect Goff was asked to first look to the deep WR (who is typically a decoy) before coming down to the second read. The second read on that play would have been determining whether the defender was taking away Kupp in the intermediate range or the TE (?) leaking into the flat. The defender chose the TE, so Goff dropped the ball in over the TE and defender to Kupp in the intermediate range.