Peter Schrager Wants to see Goff vs Raiders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fuck me. How many fuckwits in the media don't know the starters play one or two series in the first pre-season game? Espn and nfln have to fill so much space they let any idiot talk about the game. Instead of informing their audience they're making them dumber. Thankfully i don't watch either network. The only show i indulge in is the clown show at nfl live.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't really agree with this. Goff can't prove anything with four passes, but he went beyond his first option on at least one of the passes.
On the first throw, Goff does for less than a fraction of a second look at the back of Tyler Higbee, before the incompletion to Woods. He never considered Hemingway, who ran a short route up the middle, nor did he consider he consider Pharoh Cooper lined up wide right

On the second throw, he looked straight down the field and then his head veered ever so slightly to his left in a completion to Gurley. Pharoh Cooper was lined up wide left, and then a grouping of three WR's/TE's were lined up wide right to leave the field open in the middle for Gurley (briefly). Maybe a better chance for the first down was to Cooper, because the defender covering him noticed Gurley in the open field and deserted Cooper who was in first down territory? Probably it was intended that Gurley would only have to face one defender to beat instead of two (one was Cooper's man).

On the third throw, he fakes a hand off to Gurley with Woods being lined up wide left and Cooper lined up wide right and with Kupp lined up inside of Cooper. Best play of the day for Goff, because as he rolled out to his left in sync with an absolutely uncovered Kupp running his route left, Goff throws it perfectly in stride to Kupp. It was a thing of beauty.

On the fourth throw, Woods is lined up far left with Kupp up inside of him and another receiver lined up wide right (Cooper?). This is also a well designed play. The defenders lined to cover Woods and Kupp on the left shadow them. Kupp takes a few steps and breaks toward the sideline as Woods breaks toward the middle of the field behind him for the quick pass from Goff. Kupp brushes the defender covering Woods, impeding him ever so slightly while also drawing his defender towards the sideline, providing that window for Goff to throw through....I'm even more impressed with Kupp watching him in slow motion for all of these plays. We have a d@mn good football player here, as we know Woods receives the ball and then coughs it up after getting hit on the ball and Kupp recovers it in the end zone for the score.

Ok jrry32, there may have been very slight progression from first target on one or two plays by Goff, but they were so slight that I had to go in slow motion to see them, and they were toward the one side of the field where more than one WR was operating close by. Goff did pretty well, overall...We need a greater sample size to see what we have with him, imo.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I just want to see improvement and a semblance of consistency from our offense. This is not a "make or break" game for Goff by any stretch of the imagination. It is the SECOND preseason game of his FIRST season as a starter. I know he has plenty of room to grow, and we all hope he does just that, but I am a more curious about our OL at this point. If they stink up the joint, it won't matter who is back there. Gurley has looked like hot pig shit since 2015, yet I don't see too many people calling this a make or break game for him. OL baby. We need to get that shit straight for the first time in a LONG time..

fearsomefour

Legend
I am not expecting perfection from Goff, but he should show that he has those qualities I mentioned earlier, right now. You can't find a killer's instinct simply by playing more games. Accuracy is also something a QB has, or he doesn't under pressure. The ability NOT to telegraph throws is maybe something that can be worked on (I hope) Going through reads should happen right now. I don't expect perfection in this, but vision for the field under pressure, is something franchise QB's do. We should see his capacity to do these things right now, in my opinion.
There is truth in what you are saying.
However, accuracy often comes down to technique. If a guy is sailing the ball, for example, that is either a lack of arm strength or throwing mechanics getting squirrelly.
No way to tell if the guy has that instinct or not.
The guys in the huddle would know, the coaches know, fans have no idea. Same thing with leadership qualities. You can't tell leadership qualities watching someone 3 hours of their work week on tv.
Same sort of thing applied for "killer instinct". Watching plays not knowing where everyone is on the field, not knowing who is open etc. A QB checks down and he has no "killer instinct." He may be either making the smart play....not throwing into coverage or holding the ball and taking a sack....or not seeing an open receiver. Either way, not an indication of lack of desire, leadership or killer instinct.
If he were always forcing the ball downfield, always pushing it and throwing into coverage....and throwing 3 pics a game everyone would say he sucked. So, it's a balance.
Progress not perfection.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
On the first throw, Goff does for less than a fraction of a second look at the back of Tyler Higbee, before the incompletion to Woods. He never considered Hemingway, who ran a short route up the middle, nor did he consider he consider Pharoh Cooper lined up wide right

On the second throw, he looked straight down the field and then his head veered ever so slightly to his left in a completion to Gurley. Pharoh Cooper was lined up wide left, and then a grouping of three WR's/TE's were lined up wide right to leave the field open in the middle for Gurley (briefly). Maybe a better chance for the first down was to Cooper, because the defender covering him noticed Gurley in the open field and deserted Cooper who was in first down territory? Probably it was intended that Gurley would only have to face one defender to beat instead of two (one was Cooper's man).

On the third throw, he fakes a hand off to Gurley with Woods being lined up wide left and Cooper lined up wide right and with Kupp lined up inside of Cooper. Best play of the day for Goff, because as he rolled out to his left in sync with an absolutely uncovered Kupp running his route left, Goff throws it perfectly in stride to Kupp. It was a thing of beauty.

On the fourth throw, Woods is lined up far left with Kupp up inside of him and another receiver lined up wide right (Cooper?). This is also a well designed play. The defenders lined to cover Woods and Kupp on the left shadow them. Kupp takes a few steps and breaks toward the sideline as Woods breaks toward the middle of the field behind him for the quick pass from Goff. Kupp brushes the defender covering Woods, impeding him ever so slightly while also drawing his defender towards the sideline, providing that window for Goff to throw through....I'm even more impressed with Kupp watching him in slow motion for all of these plays. We have a d@mn good football player here, as we know Woods receives the ball and then coughs it up after getting hit on the ball and Kupp recovers it in the end zone for the score.

Ok jrry32, there may have been very slight progression from first target on one or two plays by Goff, but they were so slight that I had to go in slow motion to see them, and they were toward the one side of the field where more than one WR was operating close by. Goff did pretty well, overall...We need a greater sample size to see what we have with him, imo.
Depends how the offense is coached up as well. I know Martz had his QBs look at options long to short....he was always in attack mode. My understanding of the NFL game is this is unusual. Martz also had the weapons to do this for most of his time with the Rams.
He may be coached to go to the first open guy.
Option one covered, option two open at four yards, hit him. Or it may be designed shortest to longest. To create a lot of high percentage completions. Just a thought.

lockdnram21

Legend
I actually like Schrager. And he makes valid points. What I didn't like:

A) Do a little research. It's been known for weeks now, how McVay intends on using Goff in the preseason

B) He stated Goff played against the backup cowboys. That's mostly bullcrap. We sat most of our defense and they sat most of their offense. That was mainly the cowboys starting defense.
I thought cowboys sat there defense...because I seen somewhere it said that our line wasn't opening any wholes vs there 2nd team

Flint

Pro Bowler
IT'S not About GOFF !! IT'S About The Rams & how they look as a team !!

There are lots of questions!!

I'm just excited to see The Rams Freaking Play & Play Well !!!

Is Gurley going to bust a run for more than 10 yards ??

How will Sammy look in Horns !!

First time watching Reynolds !!

Joyner playing FS , more than a handful of plays

Who starts at CB if Webster is out ?

How much improved will Jamon Brown be ?

There are so many cool questions

Exactly, lots of questions. Seemed like every time Gurley took a handoff against the cowpokes there was a guy in his lap so looking at the stats you wonder if TG is going to have a repeat of last year when the real question is what do we do at guard cuz it's killing the run and pass game

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Now you are aware that he normally has a priority progression on each pass play right? What you just described could very well be exactly what McVay wants him to do on those plays. We however as fans aren't privy to this information. I'd be worried if McVay came out after and said that Jared needs to work his progressions and his play knowledge more. McVay didn't say anything was wrong with what Jared did so personally I see no reason to worry about his performance on one series in the first preseason game of the year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now you are aware that he normally has a priority progression on each pass play right? What you just described could very well be exactly what McVay wants him to do on those plays. We however as fans aren't privy to this information. I'd be worried if McVay came out after and said that Jared needs to work his progressions and his play knowledge more. McVay didn't say anything was wrong with what Jared did so personally I see no reason to worry about his performance on one series in the first preseason game of the year.
I just want to see what he looks like over a longer period of time....like a full quarter in McVay's offense

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just want to see what he looks like over a longer period of time....like a full quarter in McVay's offense
We all do but this constant, and not singling you out, criticism over 4 snaps in the first game is pointless. Everywhere we turn through countless threads it's hammering the kid. And yes he is a kid his 2nd season there are rookie QB's older than him. And I really laugh at people talking about how vital his 2nd game is and each snap and how badly he needs a ton of snaps. It's all just silly, if McVay had a problem with how he was doing we'd hear things like we hear in Jacksonville, Cleveland, Chicago and Houston from their HC's.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all do but this constant, and not singling you out, criticism over 4 snaps in the first game is pointless. Everywhere we turn through countless threads it's hammering the kid. And yes he is a kid his 2nd season there are rookie QB's older than him. And I really laugh at people talking about how vital his 2nd game is and each snap and how badly he needs a ton of snaps. It's all just silly, if McVay had a problem with how he was doing we'd hear things like we hear in Jacksonville, Cleveland, Chicago and Houston from their HC's.

I said Goff looked good over those 4 snaps??? I just want the sense that a light has turned on, as compared to last year, I believe I will see that....I just want that belief translated into action. Like I said, I do not expect perfection...
\
btw..this is his 9th game, not his 2nd.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's a preseason game, Champ. He's going to play 16 more important games this year (hopefully).
And....it's the biggest game of his life so far....if he goes out and stinks up the joint vs the Raiders...doubt begins to creep in not only his mind...but his teammates around him. This game is made for 200 yards passing...completion percentage around 65%....or higher.

FRO

Legend
I hope Goff gets significant playing time. He needs the reps. You can never put too much stock into preseason games, so if your wanting to fully evaluate Goff you'll need to wait for the real games.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And....it's the biggest game of his life so far....if he goes out and stinks up the joint vs the Raiders...doubt begins to creep in not only his mind...but his teammates around him. This game is made for 200 yards passing...completion percentage around 65%....or higher.
Champ is clearly the psychologist the Rams need in their employ :)

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think realistically we shouldn't be looking for 100 yards passing in 1 quarter of preseason football. They are also trying to get the running game going. Look for yards per attempt and completion percentage, along with pocket presents.
Just need to see an overall better offense, with Goff running the show like a competent QB. Some 3rd down conversions, no three and outs and maybe a TD.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think realistically we shouldn't be looking for 100 yards passing in 1 quarter of preseason football.
against a vanilla scheme, and one of the worst defenses in 2016? Why not? This is game two...we should be moving the ball...scoring is different...but 5-6 yards per play is definitely possible.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
ehhhhh, not idiots, but darn close.
train

Agreed

I couldn't care less what that fat freak thinks. I don't understand why he's on the morning NFL show (which is a pretty good watch aside from him).

Seems like Burlseon would love to smack him

Shraeger was a nobody that worked his way into the spotlight. I respect that, but I can't figure for the life of me, how he did it. I don't know what he adds. He doesn't come across as a serious professional, but more of an excited fanboy.
I don't care for his giddy tone and "I'm in the know" smile.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Goff passed for 100 yards in a quarter of football, I might just lose my mind...lol. More importantly, it would be so fun hearing Keyshawn Johnson explain just how that really proves that he is still a bust...lol