Peter King's WMQB--On the Trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Peter King on the Trade:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/11/jameis-winston-roger-goodell-nfl-trades-free-agency-retirement/5/

The Rams-Eagles trade will take a long time to figure out. The deal no one saw coming was Sam Bradford and a fifth-round pick in 2015 for Nick Foles, a fourth-round pick in 2015 and a second-round pick in 2016. The Rams had multiple trade options for Bradford, who has had two straight seasons ended with ACL tears to his left knee, but by Monday they were focused on Philadelphia because the Eagles had something that no other involved team would offer—a potential starting quarterback in Foles.

“Chip came hard after Bradford,” an NFL insider said. “That’s why this happened.”

What I was told reliably Tuesday night: Philadelphia coach/power-czar Chip Kelly loves Bradford, feels Bradford’s the right guy to run his fast-paced offense, and this from an insider on the trade of the day: “Chip came hard after Bradford. That’s why this happened.” I know many of you think this is some sort of precursor to Kelly stockpiling weaponry to chase Marcus Mariota in the first round of the draft, but I don’t think so. There aren’t a lot of GMs in the league who would think Bradford is clearly better than Foles. So to trade up for Mariota, from where the Eagles sit at 20, would take first-round picks this year and next year, the second-round pick this year, Bradford, and probably more. That assumes the Titans or Jets actually want the risky Bradford and would sacrifice dealing down to number 20 this year in the process. I don’t see it. It’s far more likely that, as my source says, Kelly is smitten with Bradford, who ran a fast-paced offense at Oklahoma his final season even though he is more suited to a classic NFL scheme.

Two other points to be made here: I can tell you with certainty that this was not a trade made to punish Bradford for not re-doing his contract. Bradford was owed $13 million this year, and the Rams certainly wanted him to take a major pay cut to stay, after he gave them precious little in the past two seasons. I also can tell you that, even if Bradford had agreed to slash his salary before the weekend, the Rams still would have made this trade. They like this trade. They like Foles’ potential, they like the fact that they picked up a 2016 second-rounder, and through no fault of his own they’d lost faith in Bradford. No matter what they said, they just had no faith that Bradford could stay upright for 16 games.

As for Kelly, he now is under heavy, heavy pressure. No one truly buys that Bradford is a franchise quarterback. He may be, but he certainly isn’t now. He’s missed 39 of 80 possible NFL starts due to injury, he’s a 58.6 percent passer, and his passer rating is a feeble 79.3. He’s been hurt in fluky ways, but life for an NFL player starts with showing up, and Bradford hasn’t been good at that. If he either doesn’t play well or goes down by Columbus Day with another injury, it’s going to be very tough for Kelly to take the broadsides that will come his way in a tough NFL city.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kelly has gone out on a limb unlike any other in the NFL in a long time.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kelly wants Sam and to keep his picks so he can draft guys fresh out of college so that they don't have a taste of doing things the way 'other' NFL coaches do them. He basically wants to keep them in the college mindset where the coach is 'God'. I guess it worked for Tom Coughlin but it didn't for Saban and a few others.

I am glad I was wrong about nobody wanting Sam and his contract. I also lost "faith that Bradford could to stay upright for 16 games."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well in Kelly's defense I will say that this is the year to replace his RB. And really anyone can get 4 yards per carry in that offense the way he spreads defenses out and attacks them. So the RB replacement won't be difficult at all. Good example is Gordon, who I think might be the best player in this class five years from now (I see him as an impact player and perennial pro bowler), and he might last until 20. Adding Gordon there would be an instant upgrade that Kelly is looking for.

WR is also deep in this class so I think Kelly's moves coincide with what he thinks of this draft. He knows he can get a good WR or two as well and his scheme is very good at isolating the matchups he wants so he can do more with less than, say, the Rams can, while still scoring points.

QB is the rub in this draft for him. In replacing Foles he had to have a legit starting option just in case whoever he drafts won't be a quick study. Because he will be drafting a QB in this class. As I have mentioned before it could be either of those 2nd tier guys in Hundley or Petty and he probably can't forecast to complete accuracy how long they will take to come online. So Bradford is perfect for him in that he gets a high talent QB who buys him time to develop his next QB.

So I'm not gonna jump on how dumb Kelly is or anything. I think the dude knows what he's doing. Nice thing for the Rams is Foles is a good fit for what we need and Snead has improved his draft this year and next. Bring on the preseason!!!

FRO

Legend
If Bradford stays healthy Chip will look like a genius. Bradford is the absolute perfect fit for the hurry up and we all know he has elite tools. If Bradford gets hurt Kelly will be the hot college coaching candidate. A win win scenario for him.

All I want out of Foles is Alex Smith. I like him as a QB, but I never see him a a top 10 guy. We don't need that though. Fisher and Snead went the safe route I can't blame him. I'm a Bradford guy so I'm depressed, but I can't argue with the logic.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Some fans tend to get all jacked up after a big move like this...I'll reserve judgement until I see how it plays out on the field with whatever changes go on with the OL... I've let myself fall into the trap of "Well this is the year" several times and I'm simply not going to do it again...

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With Philadelphia swapping Nick Foles for Sam Bradford, Mike Florio can’t help but wonder if this flurry of puzzling moves from the Eagles is leading up to some kind of mega-move to land Marcus Mariota.

Watch Florio Talk Bradford Trade

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Even without watching Florio, I'm convinced it's not and Philly really just went all in on Bradford.

Which makes the Wow all the bigger

RamBill

Legend
Polian: Durability Still A Concern For Bradford
NFL Insider Bill Polian and Tedy Bruschi explain how QB Sam Bradford fits into the Eagles’ offense and discuss Bradford’s durability concerns.

Watch Polian/Bruschi Talk Bradford

RamBill

Legend
King: Why Chip Kelly might be so high on Sam Bradford
On SI Now, the MMQB editor-in-chief Peter King explains why Sam Bradford is more desirable than Nick Foles to Chip Kelly because of Bradford’s performance at Oklahoma.

Watch King Talk Bradford

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Getting to know Nick Foles
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_1902aabb-1c64-5cb1-93f8-57376ec7bc2f.html

Here's a scouting report on the Rams' new quarterback acquired from Philadelphia on Tuesday in exchange for QB Sam Bradford...

1. Foles was born on Jan. 20, 1989 in Austin, Tex. and is a graduate of Westlake High School in Austin. Notable Westlake alums include New Orleans QB Drew Brees, Baltimore place kicker Justin Tucker, Tampa Bay tight end Kyle Adams, actress Angela Bettis, MLB reliever Huston Street, and retired MLB third baseman Kelly Gruber.

2. Foles, who is listed at 6-5 or 6-6 — depending on the source — was a star basketball player in high school. A three-year starter and two-time team MVP who was recruited by Texas, Baylor and Georgetown (among others.)

3. Foles' parents, Larry and Melissa Foles, have done very well in the restaurant business. Larry Foles was co-founder of Eddie V's Prime Seafood in Austin, a successful upscale establishment that now has 13 locations. Six are in Texas but other Eddie V's can be found in Chicago, San Diego, La Jolla, Calif., Orlando, Tampa, Scottsdale AZ, and Northern Virginia. According to media reports Foles and partners sold the restaurants to a corporation that owns other chains including Red Lobster, Olive Garden and The Capital Grille. Reported sale price: $59 million.

4. Foles is married to Tori Moore, a former volleyball player at Arizona. (They met there as students.) She is the sister of former NFL tight end Evan Moore.

5. Foles is a devout Christian and a genuinely humble person. When asked how he handles the highs and lows of playing a demanding QB position Foles said: "I'm a Christian. It's my faith in Christ. I'm into scripture every day. I have great players around me. And great parents that have raised me. And people that have surrounded me throughout my career who helped shape who I am. That's who I go out there and play for every single day. I don't play for myself. I play for my teammates and play for the people that helped me get to where I am. I know they're watching me every week, and I want to play for them. It's just in my heart and that's who I am.

"I'm very fortunate to be playing, and I know that any given day could be the last. And I'll be thankful for the time I have had to play this game. But I'm going to give my all every single day. So why would I let my confidence (fluctuations) and frustrations affect me when I know it's only a short time where I can play this game. And it's not worth getting all distraught and mad and going too high or too low. I just want to be me. That's it. Simple as that."

6. Foles isn't a live-wire personality on or off the field. If you want a fist-pumping QB that shrieks at teammates and opponents, then this isn't your guy. Fans that disliked Sam Bradford's low-key personality will be getting the same in Foles. In Philadelphia, "Friday Night Lights" author Buzz Bissinger stirred things up by writing that Foles "has an aura of softness about him." Bissinger recommended that Foles "man up to be the man."

Here was Foles' response at the time: "I don’t agree with it just because I think a quarterback and leader and anything it’s not necessarily what you do with the limelight or anything. Obviously, handling yourself in an appropriate matter is very important for you and your teammates, but I’ve always believed that you need to be who you are.

“If you’re a guy who loves to go out and be at everything and do that and you can be a great player and great leader as well, that’s awesome because that’s naturally what you’re great at, that’s naturally what you want to do. See, if I were to go and do all that stuff, that’s sort of out of my norm.

“I’ve always been a laid-back Texas boy. I love my family. I love being with my family. That’s what I stick to. I love the game of football. I love getting better. My teammates know me because I show them who I am in the locker room and then I don’t change when I go on the field.”

Foles had declined a one-on-one interview request with Bissinger before Bissinger wrote the piece.

7. According to the Eagles' media guide, Foles lists "Where the Red Fern Grows" as his favorite book. Favorite film? The cartoon version of "Scooby-Doo." In an interview with ESPN, Foles said his favorite Disney movie is "Lion King." His favorite meal? Fried catfish. (He'll be able to find plenty of that in the St. Louis area.) Foles also has, at least in the past, been a devotee of Bikram yoga.

8. Coming out of high school in 2007, Foles initially committed to Arizona State. But he had a change of heart and signed with Michigan State. After a season in East Lansing, Foles transferred to Arizona, got a chance to start during the 2009 season, and was the Wildcats' full-time starter in 2010 and 2011. He was a communications major at Arizona.

9. Here's a scouting report from the respected quarterback analyst Greg Cosell, who described Foles as a limited talent in a 2014 interview:

"I think if you look at Foles the player, what you likely see is this: He's got a good arm but not a gun; he's not a power thrower, not a drive thrower. He's a little more of a finesse thrower than a drive thrower," Cosell said "He does not have quick feet. There is no quick-twitch to his movement. There's no explosive lower-body movement to him. When you look at Foles, I think what you see is a quarterback that needs the system to work for him and provide defined reads and good throws with the route concepts, just the whole system. He needs the system to work for him... I don't think he's really any different (from 2013.) Because he's not a quick-twitch guy, when he doesn't feel comfortable making a throw he'll start to look a little awkward because he's not quick twitch, he moves around."

10. Foles is a workaholic. At Arizona, coaches had to tell him to ease off on lifting weights. He's consumed by video scouting of opponents and has been known to have teammates over for film study.

11. Daniel Jeremiah, formerly a scout with the Eagles, had this to say (in part) in his official scouting report filed to the team before the 2012 draft: "Mentally, excellent smarts, knows what everybody is doing on the field, understands fronts and coverages. ... outstanding worker, sets a tone in the weight room ... great character ... He’s all about football. Always at the facility. He was there when I was visiting with the (Arizona) QB coach. He wanted to see one particular play that bothered him from practice, so he showed up, came right into the room with his ice bag on his arm. Has the wide receivers over all the time to watch tape and eat at his apartment. Pays for their food ... Foles is a clear leader of the team."

12. Foles' 2013 season was, in many respects, one of the finest by a QB in NFL history. Some highlights: Pro Bowl selection, Pro Bowl Offensive MVP, league passer-rating leader (119.2), two-time selection as NFC Offensive Player of the Week, had the 60th "perfect game" (as in passer rating) in NFL history, was ranked at No. 70 in the NFL Network's list of Top 100 players in the league at the end of the 2013 season. Also: Foles tied an NFL record with seven TD passes in a game, had the best single season TD-interception ratio (27:2) in NFL history, and posted the best-ever passer rating (152.8) for a calendar month (Nov. 2013.)

13. Foles wasn't nearly as effective in 2014, throwing 13 touchdowns and 11 interceptions with a passer rating of 81.4 before his season ended after eight games because of a broken collarbone. Cosell suggested that NFL defenses made some changes in how they played against Foles in 2014 after getting a chance to study the 2013 version of Foles and the Eagles offense.

"Because all of this was new to defensive coordinators, we all agree that it looked last year like there were a ton of open receivers, which doesn't happen that much in the NFL," Cosell said. "And he needs the system to work for him."

14. Here's an excerpt of Bissinger's 2014 profile of Foles in Philadelphia magazine:

"The truth was, Nick Foles was something of a nerd (in high school), a guy who hung around with a small posse of mostly non-football nerds — eggheads, kids who would go on to careers in finance and private equity and engineering. A hot Saturday night was getting together at his house to play video games like Call of Duty, or hanging out at Zilker Park on the shores of Lady Bird Lake. 'Dude, come on, you’re the quarterback, go out and have some fun,' high-school teammate Matt Nader pleaded with him, fruitlessly.

"He was the kid you wanted dating your daughter, because he would have her home at 9:30 after you said 10. He was socially awkward, with a naive and goofy sense of humor. He dressed as if he had never seen clothes before. His hair was oddly styled in an ersatz pageboy, curling below his ears like a drainage ditch and covering his forehead in uneven wisps, thin grime on a windshield. His face was a cup of Napoleon Dynamite and a tablespoon of golly-gee-willikers and a teaspoon of Gomer Pyle."

15. Eagles coach Chip Kelly had no problem trading Foles the quarterback. But Kelly was a big fan of Foles the person. "I wish there were more people like Nick Foles in our lives," Kelly told the Philadelphia media last November.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Bernie: Getting to know Nick Foles
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_1902aabb-1c64-5cb1-93f8-57376ec7bc2f.html

Here's a scouting report on the Rams' new quarterback acquired from Philadelphia on Tuesday in exchange for QB Sam Bradford...

1. Foles was born on Jan. 20, 1989 in Austin, Tex. and is a graduate of Westlake High School in Austin. Notable Westlake alums include New Orleans QB Drew Brees, Baltimore place kicker Justin Tucker, Tampa Bay tight end Kyle Adams, actress Angela Bettis, MLB reliever Huston Street, and retired MLB third baseman Kelly Gruber.

2. Foles, who is listed at 6-5 or 6-6 — depending on the source — was a star basketball player in high school. A three-year starter and two-time team MVP who was recruited by Texas, Baylor and Georgetown (among others.)

3. Foles' parents, Larry and Melissa Foles, have done very well in the restaurant business. Larry Foles was co-founder of Eddie V's Prime Seafood in Austin, a successful upscale establishment that now has 13 locations. Six are in Texas but other Eddie V's can be found in Chicago, San Diego, La Jolla, Calif., Orlando, Tampa, Scottsdale AZ, and Northern Virginia. According to media reports Foles and partners sold the restaurants to a corporation that owns other chains including Red Lobster, Olive Garden and The Capital Grille. Reported sale price: $59 million.

4. Foles is married to Tori Moore, a former volleyball player at Arizona. (They met there as students.) She is the sister of former NFL tight end Evan Moore.

5. Foles is a devout Christian and a genuinely humble person. When asked how he handles the highs and lows of playing a demanding QB position Foles said: "I'm a Christian. It's my faith in Christ. I'm into scripture every day. I have great players around me. And great parents that have raised me. And people that have surrounded me throughout my career who helped shape who I am. That's who I go out there and play for every single day. I don't play for myself. I play for my teammates and play for the people that helped me get to where I am. I know they're watching me every week, and I want to play for them. It's just in my heart and that's who I am.

"I'm very fortunate to be playing, and I know that any given day could be the last. And I'll be thankful for the time I have had to play this game. But I'm going to give my all every single day. So why would I let my confidence (fluctuations) and frustrations affect me when I know it's only a short time where I can play this game. And it's not worth getting all distraught and mad and going too high or too low. I just want to be me. That's it. Simple as that."

6. Foles isn't a live-wire personality on or off the field. If you want a fist-pumping QB that shrieks at teammates and opponents, then this isn't your guy. Fans that disliked Sam Bradford's low-key personality will be getting the same in Foles. In Philadelphia, "Friday Night Lights" author Buzz Bissinger stirred things up by writing that Foles "has an aura of softness about him." Bissinger recommended that Foles "man up to be the man."

Here was Foles' response at the time: "I don’t agree with it just because I think a quarterback and leader and anything it’s not necessarily what you do with the limelight or anything. Obviously, handling yourself in an appropriate matter is very important for you and your teammates, but I’ve always believed that you need to be who you are.

“If you’re a guy who loves to go out and be at everything and do that and you can be a great player and great leader as well, that’s awesome because that’s naturally what you’re great at, that’s naturally what you want to do. See, if I were to go and do all that stuff, that’s sort of out of my norm.

“I’ve always been a laid-back Texas boy. I love my family. I love being with my family. That’s what I stick to. I love the game of football. I love getting better. My teammates know me because I show them who I am in the locker room and then I don’t change when I go on the field.”

Foles had declined a one-on-one interview request with Bissinger before Bissinger wrote the piece.

7. According to the Eagles' media guide, Foles lists "Where the Red Fern Grows" as his favorite book. Favorite film? The cartoon version of "Scooby-Doo." In an interview with ESPN, Foles said his favorite Disney movie is "Lion King." His favorite meal? Fried catfish. (He'll be able to find plenty of that in the St. Louis area.) Foles also has, at least in the past, been a devotee of Bikram yoga.

8. Coming out of high school in 2007, Foles initially committed to Arizona State. But he had a change of heart and signed with Michigan State. After a season in East Lansing, Foles transferred to Arizona, got a chance to start during the 2009 season, and was the Wildcats' full-time starter in 2010 and 2011. He was a communications major at Arizona.

9. Here's a scouting report from the respected quarterback analyst Greg Cosell, who described Foles as a limited talent in a 2014 interview:

"I think if you look at Foles the player, what you likely see is this: He's got a good arm but not a gun; he's not a power thrower, not a drive thrower. He's a little more of a finesse thrower than a drive thrower," Cosell said "He does not have quick feet. There is no quick-twitch to his movement. There's no explosive lower-body movement to him. When you look at Foles, I think what you see is a quarterback that needs the system to work for him and provide defined reads and good throws with the route concepts, just the whole system. He needs the system to work for him... I don't think he's really any different (from 2013.) Because he's not a quick-twitch guy, when he doesn't feel comfortable making a throw he'll start to look a little awkward because he's not quick twitch, he moves around."

10. Foles is a workaholic. At Arizona, coaches had to tell him to ease off on lifting weights. He's consumed by video scouting of opponents and has been known to have teammates over for film study.

11. Daniel Jeremiah, formerly a scout with the Eagles, had this to say (in part) in his official scouting report filed to the team before the 2012 draft: "Mentally, excellent smarts, knows what everybody is doing on the field, understands fronts and coverages. ... outstanding worker, sets a tone in the weight room ... great character ... He’s all about football. Always at the facility. He was there when I was visiting with the (Arizona) QB coach. He wanted to see one particular play that bothered him from practice, so he showed up, came right into the room with his ice bag on his arm. Has the wide receivers over all the time to watch tape and eat at his apartment. Pays for their food ... Foles is a clear leader of the team."

12. Foles' 2013 season was, in many respects, one of the finest by a QB in NFL history. Some highlights: Pro Bowl selection, Pro Bowl Offensive MVP, league passer-rating leader (119.2), two-time selection as NFC Offensive Player of the Week, had the 60th "perfect game" (as in passer rating) in NFL history, was ranked at No. 70 in the NFL Network's list of Top 100 players in the league at the end of the 2013 season. Also: Foles tied an NFL record with seven TD passes in a game, had the best single season TD-interception ratio (27:2) in NFL history, and posted the best-ever passer rating (152.8) for a calendar month (Nov. 2013.)

13. Foles wasn't nearly as effective in 2014, throwing 13 touchdowns and 11 interceptions with a passer rating of 81.4 before his season ended after eight games because of a broken collarbone. Cosell suggested that NFL defenses made some changes in how they played against Foles in 2014 after getting a chance to study the 2013 version of Foles and the Eagles offense.

"Because all of this was new to defensive coordinators, we all agree that it looked last year like there were a ton of open receivers, which doesn't happen that much in the NFL," Cosell said. "And he needs the system to work for him."

14. Here's an excerpt of Bissinger's 2014 profile of Foles in Philadelphia magazine:

"The truth was, Nick Foles was something of a nerd (in high school), a guy who hung around with a small posse of mostly non-football nerds — eggheads, kids who would go on to careers in finance and private equity and engineering. A hot Saturday night was getting together at his house to play video games like Call of Duty, or hanging out at Zilker Park on the shores of Lady Bird Lake. 'Dude, come on, you’re the quarterback, go out and have some fun,' high-school teammate Matt Nader pleaded with him, fruitlessly.

"He was the kid you wanted dating your daughter, because he would have her home at 9:30 after you said 10. He was socially awkward, with a naive and goofy sense of humor. He dressed as if he had never seen clothes before. His hair was oddly styled in an ersatz pageboy, curling below his ears like a drainage ditch and covering his forehead in uneven wisps, thin grime on a windshield. His face was a cup of Napoleon Dynamite and a tablespoon of golly-gee-willikers and a teaspoon of Gomer Pyle."

15. Eagles coach Chip Kelly had no problem trading Foles the quarterback. But Kelly was a big fan of Foles the person. "I wish there were more people like Nick Foles in our lives," Kelly told the Philadelphia media last November.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie
Pretty cool read.