Peter King's Super Bowl 51 Prediction

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/07/super-bowl-51-prediction-peter-king-nfl-mailbag

Super Bowl 51 Prediction: Pittsburgh over Green Bay
by Peter King

There is an old saying in coaching that you never pick up the next season where you left off the previous one. The point basically is that every season is a new one and what you did eight months ago just doesn’t matter.

Two teams would argue with that: Pittsburgh and Green Bay. They are my choices to reach Super Bowl 51 in Houston next February, and each has some memories that are helping with motivation.

On my training camp tour this summer, I sensed an unease in each camp. Aaron Rodgers is still upset with his level of play last year; he told me 2016 was his most important season. When you’re as great as Rodgers, and you have lousier stats than Brian Hoyer for a season, that tends to eat at you for a good bit of the offseason. And he’s not the only one in the Green Bay locker room who feels like some atonement must be made for how 2015 went down.

As for the Steelers, I sense a disbelief that the season ended the way it did, with a crushing loss mentally and physically in Denver, coming off a Ravens-Steelers type of vengeful match in Cincinnati the previous week that robbed Pittsburgh of wideout Antonio Brown for the AFC semifinal loss. You can’t convince the Pittsburgh offense that if Brown played that day in Colorado, it would have been the Steelers, not the Broncos, facing Carolina in the Super Bowl last February.

I’ll start there, with the Steelers. In Latrobe this summer, there was an emphasis on the small things all over their training camp. In all camps, you see receivers staying after practice to work with the Jugs machine to improve hands. Brown has taken this to another level. He catches 130 passes after each practice from the machine. Then he has an assistant mug him while he is trying to make one-handed catches and catches close to the ground. “If you’re not getting better,” Brown said that day, “You’re getting worse. I’m not the only guy around here who feels that way.”

I think Ben Roethlisberger is good enough to make up for the full season loss of Martavis Bryant and the quarter-season loss of Le’Veon Bell to advance to his third Super Bowl in 13 years. On defense, year two of coordinator Keith Butler will have the Steelers feeling more comfortable with their post-Dick LeBeau scheme.

For Green Bay, this could be the last chance Clay Matthews and 36-year-old Julius Peppers have to be impact players together on a playoff team. GM Ted Thompson is a ruthless sort, and wouldn’t feel guilty if he had to cut one or the other for age or performance after the season. It’s only a matter of time before Peppers gets that tap on his shoulder.

I love versatile defensive tackle Mike Daniels. The Packers will have to be good with some unproven players at inside linebacker (fourth-round rookie Blake Martinez needs to prove much as a nearly every-down player), which is why Peppers, even at his age, is so important.

On offense, getting back Jordy Nelson promises to cure so many ills. Nelson takes the pressure off Randall Cobb to produce beyond the way he should as a complementary receiver. And with Eddie Lacy back in reasonable shape, it’s going to set the stage for Rodgers to have his full array of weapons and to be able to be Aaron Rodgers again.

I thought about several other Super Bowl possibilities on my camp trip this summer. I almost went for the shocker and put Oakland as the AFC representative; I was sorely tempted because of the explosive offense and a defense that has a genius talent in Khalil Mack. I also was tempted by Arizona and Minnesota in the NFC and Denver in the AFC. But the quarterback situations in January for all three gave me pause.

New England’s a tempting pick(*due to my massive and bizarre man-crush on them*), because of intense motivation and a manageable schedule, as well as the fact the Patriots are still really good. Carolina I could see returning out of a weak NFC South, and Seattle could make another run with my MVP pick, Russell Wilson.

But give me the Steelers in Houston 22 weeks from now, 30-23 over Green Bay. I call it a legacy-builder for Roethlisberger and a way for a coach who gets far too little credit, Mike Tomlin, to ascend to the perch of the great coaches, where he belongs.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
PA Ram got this. On my thread he was the only one who got PIT vs. GB. However; alot of people said GB and CAR are the favorites for the NFC. PIT and NE favorites AFC.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see why the Steelers are everyone's pick . They backed into the playoffs and should have lost to the Bungals.
They lose their # 2 receiver for the year and Bell for 3 games . I live about one hour from Pittsburgh and I'm sick of hearing about them . Sorry but I just don't see it .

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see why the Steelers are everyone's pick . They backed into the playoffs and should have lost to the Bungals.
They lose their # 2 receiver for the year and Bell for 3 games . I live about one hour from Pittsburgh and I'm sick of hearing about them . Sorry but I just don't see it .
Loaded offense, veteran HOF QB, enough D, pretty weak division, should pile up wins.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Steelers offense taking a hit with a TE that will go down in flames just like Jesse James and unless Sammie Coates becomes the deep threat I don't see it, plus their defense is not that good. The Packers always have a chance with Rogers and their defense seems far better, but I can see them losing another heart breaker to a team like Arizona.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I got one of them right. I guessed Green Bay and Patriots, would be his choices. I don't agree. Jordy Nelson won't make that big of a difference

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
PA Ram got this. On my thread he was the only one who got PIT vs. GB. However; alot of people said GB and CAR are the favorites for the NFC. PIT and NE favorites AFC.
I'm surprised that King didn't pick N.E. vs GB!:rolllaugh:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
So Cook is going to be the next Super Bowl MVP?

WvuIN02

Starter
Steelers offense taking a hit with a TE that will go down in flames just like Jesse James and unless Sammie Coates becomes the deep threat I don't see it, plus their defense is not that good. The Packers always have a chance with Rogers and their defense seems far better, but I can see them losing another heart breaker to a team like Arizona.

Steelers D was 3rd in the league in sacks behind NE and Denver last year. 11th in points, and with some guys beat up. Secondary should be a lot better there this season. Steelers imo would have won the SB last year if not for injuries. They were up like 15-0 in Denver last year and then their wrs playing for AB started dropping balls left and right. Big question you're right at TE is if Ladarius Green comes back, he is a legit pass catching TE but like the rest of their offense, plagued by injuries. When they have everyone healthy on that offense it could be the best in the NFL. Plus, I dont buy the thing with Coates, Ben made careers for guys like Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes etc...he always elevates the play of the receivers. Watch out for a guy named Eli Rodgers in Pittsburgh this year.

Thinking its a rematch of Steelers-Cardinals this year personally, with the caveat of those QBs staying healthy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Steelers D was 3rd in the league in sacks behind NE and Denver last year. 11th in points, and with some guys beat up. Secondary should be a lot better there this season.

Thinking its a rematch of Steelers-Cardinals this year personally, with the caveat of those QBs staying healthy.

Very valid points and I can't debate the stats, but I did not think the Steelers defense was that good last year and yes, if not for a fumble by the 3rd string RB, they would've have beaten Denver, but let's not get ahead of ourselves there because they have never beaten Tom Brady.

Anyway as to Coates, he drops the ball nothing Big Ben can do if you can't catch and as to Eli Rogers, we shall see, but I do like him.