Peter King's Offseason Power Rankings---Rams #19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yea, I have no problem with this. We have been ranked as dark horses for the past couple of years but always end up mediocre. It's time to take the rating we deserve.

Just come out and punch Seattle straight in the mouth. I don't care if everyone calls us dirty the rest of the year. Set the tone, and make the playoffs.

I don't care about being #19. I think its beyond lazy to just make it all on Nick Foles. You can have an amazing QB like Aaron Rodgers and still have an average team...like the Packers. He's the best QB in hte NFL, and only one Super Bowl in his career.

Actually...NM. I read through the list and all he does is base a team on their QB. Still fucking lazy. I wonder how much he got paid for this.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care about being #19. I think its beyond lazy to just make it all on Nick Foles. You can have an amazing QB like Aaron Rodgers and still have an average team...like the Packers. He's the best QB in hte NFL, and only one Super Bowl in his career.
Did you just call Green Bay average?

Since 2009:
11-5
10-6
15-1
11-5
8-7-1
12-4
Playoffs every year.

God, I wish we were that average!!

Angry Ram

Did you just call Green Bay average?

Since 2009:
11-5
10-6
15-1
11-5
8-7-1
12-4
Playoffs every year.

God, I wish we were that average!!

Take Aaron Rodgers out and they are. Like when he broke his collar bone. Peter King logic: best QB you win Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers best QB, only 1 SB.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take Aaron Rodgers out and they are. Like when he broke his collar bone. Peter King logic: best QB you win Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers best QB, only 1 SB.
Well, seeing as a team includes their QB, I'd still love to be that average... a little 10-6 action would be most welcome!!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
As soon as I got to #1 I knew this guy was an idiot. No need to read the rest.

RamsFan14

Starter
Why are people so surprised and annoyed by this? We haven't won anything in 10 years, why should reporters be excited about us? We have ZERO credibility in terms of winning. We look like we could be a good playoff team after the offseason... Then we manage a way to fail in the season, for w/e reason. I don't see why people are mad at this point, we have to prove SOMETHING in order to gain more respect. I think Peter King is one of the best journalists out there, I love listening to what he has to say. Just because he gives us a low ranking, doesn't mean its unjustified. Again, what have we done over the last 10 years?! Nothing! With that said, I hope King is wrong. We've plugged in the holes with Foles, and I'm excited to see what he can do.

Angry Ram

Well, seeing as a team includes their QB, I'd still love to be that average... a little 10-6 action would be most welcome!!

I'm not disagreeing with you, but again tho. Packers aren't a dominant team. They almost blew it (should have) against Dallas and did blow it against the shitchickens. Even tho they had a superstar at QB. Peter King logic fail.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Like others I have no problem with our ranking, it's others that are making me scratch my head. His number one is literally based on they'll probably figure it out. Great reasoning there.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I will be SOOOOOOOOOO pissed if the Whiners end up with a better record than us after all of the upheaval and turmoil going on over there.

You and a whole bunch of other Rams fans.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I like Peter King and Mike Florio except when they use their sites to push their political/social agenda. That's their right though and it's my right to ignore them when they do.

That said, both King and Florio have been fair to the Rams organization over the last few years but the continual losing has apparently worn them down. Who can blame them? That's even happened to some former Rams fanatics.

Personally, hope springs eternal at the opening of every training camp. If that ever stops then I'll find something else to do like watching women's tennis. :shades:
Until then, the Rams should be ranked #1 in every preseason power-rankings article damn it! How can they be so blind? :snicker:

As for the other teams he picked: It's telling that he doesn't have his main crush, the Patriots ranked #1 again. Who wouldn't think that the Patriots, Ravens, Seahawks, and Packers will be at the top of the heap again at the end of this season? Continual success has a way of doing that.

The Chiefs and Vikings ranked in the top ten is a puzzler though. It is gratifying however to see the hated 49ers near the bottom of the list. Years ago I got just as much enjoyment watching them lose as I did watching the Rams win. 30 years in the SF Bay area will do that to you.

Until the season begins, swig heavily from the Kool-Aid jar boys and girls, because we're still 0-0 and there's no reason yet to think that this won't be the year of the Ram.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Should the Rams enter 2015 In the bottom half of power rankings?
By Justin Koski

After an early 2015 offensive overhaul, the Rams have their eyes set on running over defenses. They’ve drafted four goliath lineman, brought over a new signal caller, drafted a new bell cow in Todd Gurley and changed their offensive coordinator. All signs point to a season in which the Rams will attempt to run the ball down the defense’s throat.

After finishing last year at 6-10, early predictions have the Rams landing right around middle of the pack. Peter King from MMQB ranks the Rams at 19th entering 2015. Much of his ranking relies on how Nick Foles performs, and I’d have to agree. He argues that if Foles does well, they could win 11 games, if he doesn’t, eight games. It seems that King thinks Foles will be average.

King is much higher on former Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, as he ranks the Eagles 7th in the NFL right now. Seventh! In a similarly baffling ranking, King has the Vikings jumping all the way to 6th. The Vikings!

His Top 5 are fairly standard. Baltimore is odd at 1, but Seattle, Green Bay, New England and Kansas City round out the top five.

The aforementioned Minnesota and Philly picks are questionable to say the least. There’s no telling if Adrian Peterson will be back, and whether or not the mad scientist Chip Kelly can get everything out of Bradford. Denver will struggle without Clady, but Peyton Manning and their revamped defense may keep them in ball games.

Arizona isn’t higher than 10 for one reason: Carson Palmer. He is as injury prone as Sam Bradford and can make or break the Cards.

Indianapolis and Cincinnati round out the top 12 spots. These 12 “potential playoff teams” are mostly standard with the exception of Minnesota, Philly and possibly Denver.

That leaves the Rams trailing Dallas (13), New Orleans (14), San Diego (15), Miami (16), Detroit (17), and Buffalo (18).

If the Rams want to scratch and claw their way into the Playoffs, King is right, Foles will need to be really good, but he won’t have to carry the team. He will however, need to rely on the running game. Foles dominated in 2013 with the Eagles for a variety of reasons but also because they had the number one running offense. It took the pressure off of Foles.

King’s predictions seem a little odd. Playoff teams from last year have fallen out of contention, and last year’s disappointments are rising to the top. That certainly isn’t unheard of, but also a little, let’s call it hopeful.

Short of a few wild cards and dark horse candidates, and some weird hopefuls, his pre-season rankings are acceptable. I’ll give it a B-. I see the Rams right around middle of the road early this season. Should the Goliath line hold up, Todd Gurley emerge as the back many think he is, and the defense play like they did the second half of last season, they could be a fighting for a wild card spot.

Like King’s assumptions, here’s to hoping.

Read more at http://cover32.com/rams/2015/06/01/...m-half-of-power-rankings/#8oUzUM82k2oIiwA1.99

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why are people so surprised and annoyed by this? We haven't won anything in 10 years, why should reporters be excited about us? We have ZERO credibility in terms of winning. We look like we could be a good playoff team after the offseason... Then we manage a way to fail in the season, for w/e reason. I don't see why people are mad at this point, we have to prove SOMETHING in order to gain more respect. I think Peter King is one of the best journalists out there, I love listening to what he has to say. Just because he gives us a low ranking, doesn't mean its unjustified. Again, what have we done over the last 10 years?! Nothing! With that said, I hope King is wrong. We've plugged in the holes with Foles, and I'm excited to see what he can do.

i couldn't give a flying flip about where the rams are ranked. this doughboy clown is just a giant clueless turd.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
King did'nt do any real thinking or work here. This idiot and I'm not nor never have been a fan due to his favoritism on many things to many to mention here. He must have just thrown some very poor darts at a board. I get the QB love but I see holes in all of his picks.

One thing is to avoid having to make this prediction on paper before camp injuries that ALWAYS change the landscape. Just like a silly draft prediction so many things I can simply mention could easily show this is pure fiction and it really shows me we THE RAMS can "SHOCK THE WORLD" this year after such a very,very long ASS wait. Foles does'nt have to be more than an 85-90% rated QB to go with our "D" and ST's.

Better team tackling on a simplified "D" as JL explains that led to a more than decent final few outings. If we can keep the top 2 in sacks as in the last 3 years. Long must keep his hip healthy ALL season and his always injured ankles. I see Aaron Donald even getting better and better along with Brockers who in his year when "D" tackles are finally seasoned (if healthy) and playing next to Donald who will draw so much attention and still beat double-teams , Brockers is gonna have gis BEST SEASON EVER. I'd put money on it.

I'm not a fan of Fairleys game before becoming a RAM so he better show me something with every rep he gets. Not thrilled with his signing. Will hate it when Brockers and Donald need a breather. Quinn needs to not try so hard and let his magic come back to him as he must also focus on run stopping and not torqueing his body to bend around the OT for sacks as he is so gifted at doing.

Ogletree will once again lead the RAMS in tackles in a simplified system that is right up his alley as he can use Ayers helping with sideline to sideline tackles. We have the DB's to be dangerous and stop the underwhelming play. Bring in the extra Safties if it confuses the QB's and gets them on the ground. Especially every Cards qb we can take out. Lupati will not help their pass blocking game. Their "D" will miss the DC they just lost "BIGTIME". Man is awesome and I'd be just as happy if we had him. Jets "D" will be freaking awesome.

It boils down to our starting center and the way our youth on the OL can pass block with hopefully help from Cig. and Harkey,Laskey(if he sticks) and our highly paid 2 TE's. Plus when Fisher (Himself) unleashes Gurley on the NFL. Not holding my breath till after the bye to learn pass blocking NFL style too. Throw in the injuries that WILL happen and we are overdue for an El Nino season on injuries . A very slow year as in hurricanes in the Gulf on which I live on.

Lets just slap the shit out of the hags early and take it one at a time. Keep Foles happy and able to step up and turn Cigs and Boras loose with halftime adjustments and lots of seats will go filled and not sold to the other teams fans. Screw King and ANY opinion he EVER has on the RAMS. He has ALWAYS been wrong. So hate he gets a HOF vote. So many more worthy people that have decent scrupples and don't have such a high opinion of himself.

This was hot stinking garbage when trying to truly rate the future and the basis for it. A pure Dumpster fire king. GO RAMS. I'm ready to put on the pads guys.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Peter King and Mike Florio except when they use their sites to push their political/social agenda. That's their right though and it's my right to ignore them when they do.

That said, both King and Florio have been fair to the Rams organization over the last few years but the continual losing has apparently worn them down. Who can blame them? That's even happened to some former Rams fanatics.

Personally, hope springs eternal at the opening of every training camp. If that ever stops then I'll find something else to do like watching women's tennis. :shades:
Until then, the Rams should be ranked #1 in every preseason power-rankings article damn it! How can they be so blind? :snicker:

As for the other teams he picked: It's telling that he doesn't have his main crush, the Patriots ranked #1 again. Who wouldn't think that the Patriots, Ravens, Seahawks, and Packers will be at the top of the heap again at the end of this season? Continual success has a way of doing that.

The Chiefs and Vikings ranked in the top ten is a puzzler though. It is gratifying however to see the hated 49ers near the bottom of the list. Years ago I got just as much enjoyment watching them lose as I did watching the Rams win. 30 years in the SF Bay area will do that to you.

Until the season begins, swig heavily from the Kool-Aid jar boys and girls, because we're still 0-0 and there's no reason yet to think that this won't be the year of the Ram.

Not that long ago, I was as big a chugger of the kool-aid as any Rams fan.

It bothers me (but there isn't anything I can do about it) that I can no longer chug that drink.

The Spagnuolo years took their toll on me. I chugged... I believed all the media hype... I stood by the coach and team to the bitter end. It was painful to defend those bad years, especially when "debating" how it could turn around with fellow Rams fan who were initially on board but them turned into an angry mob.

I am grateful for this forum, because it will never get to angry mob stage. We may disgree but it will never come down to attacking a fan because of their beliefs.

So now, I find myself not assuming anything... not assuming a highly rated prospect out of college will turn out as I hope... not assuming a coach will be as successful as I hope just because of his name...

I am always hopeful and looking forward... but this team now has to prove to me they are what I believe they can be.

There have been a lot of changes this year... I liken an NFL team to a recipe (you know what I mean? ;)). It takes just the right ingredients to make a superb dish. Did we change the recipe this year in just the right way to produce that delicious dish?

We're going to find out soon... the season is a mere 3 months away!! :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
There have been a lot of changes this year... I liken an NFL team to a recipe (you know what I mean? ;)). It takes just the right ingredients to make a superb dish. Did we change the recipe this year in just the right way to produce that delicious dish?

Why does the word recipe remind me of a Rams fan I used to know long ago...hmm? :)

I am grateful for this forum, because it will never get to angry mob stage. We may disgree but it will never come down to attacking a fan because of their beliefs.

Glad you're here as well. (y)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/03/yahoo-nfl-internet-broadcast-mailbag/3/

ON FOOTBALL RANKINGS. This is one of the few lists I have seen that has, for the most part, disregarded the importance of quarterbacking in the modern era of football. Last year’s records are almost eerily related to the team’s quarterbacking ability. Andrew Luck, lacking any defensive support, took the Colts to the AFC championship. Big Ben, overcoming a defeated offensive line and an aged defense, was able to produce one of the best records in the AFC in 2014.

However, Kansas City (ranked fourth in your power rankings), having one of the best defenses in the NFL and a more than capable receiving corps and running back, was overwhelmed by the teams with elite quarterbacks. This was demonstrated in the Chiefs’ barely above-average record in 2014. My point is, regardless of the glaring weaknesses a team might have, those weaknesses are overcome by excellent quarterbacking.

—Paddy Cotter, Roanoke, Va.

Peter King's response: Paddy, that could well be. But I think the Colts needed to do more on defense than they did this off-season. We’ll see if Luck overcomes that.

I will sum up the reaction to my picks: You didn’t like me picking Kansas City four, Minnesota six and Indianapolis 11. Well, you didn’t like any of my picks, unless I picked your team first.

I get the anger about the Colts, who are the dominant team in the AFC South, with a great quarterback for the long term. My question about the Colts concerns their ability to play any defense when it counts. In their past five playoff games, in 2013 and 2014, Indianapolis allowed an average of 31 points per game. Three times the Colts allowed 43 points or more. They improved on defense this year by getting a 34-year-old pass-rusher back from a major injury.

I like Robert Mathis—who doesn’t?—but there’s an incredible amount of pressure on him and the unproven Bjoern Werner to give the Colts a pass-rush … and on Trent Cole, 32, the rusher the Eagles gave up on. I don’t trust a run defense that got steamrolled twice last year against New England to be much better. But I like the GM and coach, and I don’t think the team is a finished product on June 3. I do think, though, that Ryan Grigson should have gone against his board and bypassed Phillip Dorsett for a run-stopper in round one of the draft.

As for the Vikes, ranking them sixth is a gamble, to be sure. A huge leap of faith. I did it because I think the Bears and Lions will take steps back, and I think Adrian Peterson will play for the Vikings and be motivated to play very, very well for a lot of reasons. Mike Zimmer will find a way to get a more dangerous pass-rush and to throw a scare into the Packers for the division.

Bottom line: The easy thing to do in one of these exercises is to take the standings of last season and simply cut-and-paste them. I tried to take some educated guesses—such as the Chiefs passing Denver, and the Vikings being the second-best team in the NFC North, and the Eagles passing Dallas. We’ll see if I’m right.

THE RAVENS ARE SO GREAT. I love how in your prediction about the Ravens, you go on and on about how you trust this, and trust that, and at the end of your paragraph you even throw in “This is a battle-tested team that had two 14-point playoff leads in Foxboro last January. I just think the Ravens will find a way.” So why didn’t they “find a way” to maintain not one but two 14-point playoff leads in Foxboro last January?

—Dave

Peter King: Good point. They should have been able to stop New England. But I do think with most of their key guys except Haloti Ngata back, they’re less wounded than the rest of the top teams in the AFC.

CAROLINA AT 20? Enjoy your columns Peter and wanted to send my condolences on becoming a little senile. Carolina at number 20? You’re kidding right? One of the top defenses in the entire league, and once again, the supposed experts have little respect for the two-time defending NFC South champions. They lost some close games due to a boring offense the last few years, but that’s about to change in Charlotte.

A healthy Cam Newton, better depth at WR, upgrades on special teams, and hopefully Jonathan Stewart staying healthy, and I’m afraid you’ll rue the day you ranked them so low. When healthy, Stewart’s a top running back. Plus the offensive line is not as big a problem as so many are predicting. But hey, go right ahead, give little respect to the Panthers once again like others.

—David Floyd, Cornelius, N.C.

Peter King: Again, all you say is valid. The point about Stewart, though, is a pretty iffy one. The guy’s missed 20 games the last three years with injuries, and he’s a year older. I like Newton. I just think the division’s better, and they’ll all knock off each other pretty consistently this year.