Peter King's Offseason Power Rankings---Rams #19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Offseason Power Rankings
June 1, 2015
by Peter King

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/01/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-daughter-wedding/5/

Now for a rite of spring. It’s June. (How’d that happen? Where’d the time go?) Time for The MMQB’s 2015 offseason power rankings. The offseason hay is in the barn. Free agency is over, except for the 15-cents-on-the-dollar free agency—which, by the way, is not meaningless; who will be this year’s Justin Forsett? The draft is one month in the rear-view mirror. Though the first practices of training camp are 55 days away, nothing of great substance usually happens between now and the start of official summer practices.

So let the silly season begin. Let’s rank the teams, 1 to 32. Let’s see how wrong I can be so long before the NFL’s 96th season. (2014 record in parentheses.)

1. Baltimore (10-6). Why? I trust John Harbaugh to find answers in a league devoid of a truly great team. I trust the running game to take pressure off Joe Flacco until he develops chemistry with new receivers, and I trust Dean Pees to replace Haloti Ngata with a combination platter of front-seven changeups. This is a battle-tested team that had two 14-point playoff leads in Foxboro last January. I just think the Ravens will find a way.
2. Seattle (12-4). The addition of Jimmy Graham means so much. He could mean a third straight Super Bowl trip. There’s little reason to doubt Seattle, except the loss of some key defensive pieces, including coordinator Dan Quinn. But it’s hard to stay on top in the NFL for even three years.

3. Green Bay (12-4). The secondary worries me, as does the pass rush. The Pack’s a trendy pick to get to the Super Bowl, and it wouldn’t surprise me, but a lot will have to go right on defense for that to happen.

4. Kansas City (9-7). Two things must happen: making Justin Houston contractually happy, and finding some answers in the passing game. I like most everything else about the Chiefs’ ability to play in January.

5. New England (12-4). I don’t care if Damon Huard plays the first four games. Pats will win 11. Or more.

6. Minnesota (7-9). This is reliant on so many things. Adrian Peterson showing up number one. But finding a consistent pass-rush is key too, as is the continued maturity of Teddy Bridgewater. I pick the Vikes here because if you ask me for one rising team if two or three vital things go right, I’m picking Minnesota.

7. Philadelphia (10-6). Mike Trout says: In Chip We Trust. For the Eagles to be seventh in the NFL, he’s going to have to say: In Sam Bradford We Trust.

8. Pittsburgh (11-5). Like Antonio Brown a lot. Like Ben Roethlisberger a lot. But this faith is subject heavily to the ascension of Keith Butler to defensive coordinator after 16 seasons as a defensive assistant below the coordinator level. Mike Tomlin is putting tremendous faith in Butler, who replaces Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau, to be a breath of fresh and productive air. Risky move, and early returns are good. But early returns come in shorts and T-shirts on the South Side of Pittsburgh, not on a cruel Thursday night in Foxboro.

9. Denver (12-4). The Ryan Clady injury shows what a house of cards this offensive line was. (Of course, any team can say losing the left tackle is a crippler, and it is.) But when your quarterback is 39 and cannot roll out and escape the rush, it’s triply important.

10. Arizona (11-5). Maybe the most intriguing team in football. If Carson Palmer stays healthy and productive, the Cards can fight Seattle until Week 17. But we all know Carson Palmer’s health is one of the biggest ifs in the NFL.

11. Indianapolis (11-5). Best team in the AFC South, which isn’t saying much. Still have no clue how the Colts will stop the best offenses in football. I bet Chuck Pagano doesn’t know either.
The Saints are counting on tight end Josh Hill, a third-year player with 20 career catches, to step into the role vacated by Jimmy Graham. (David Banks/Getty Images)The Saints are counting on tight end Josh Hill, a third-year player with 20 career catches, to step into the role vacated by Jimmy Graham. (David Banks/Getty Images)

12. Cincinnati (10-5-1). The running game, and the offensive line, should be enough to make up for Andy Dalton if he struggles. But I don’t think a team can be great unless its quarterback is close to great.

13. Dallas (12-4). I keep reading how many great pieces the Cowboys have added to their defense. I don’t see it. But they’re going to win a bunch of 33-27 games, so there’s hope.

14. New Orleans (7-9). Josh Hill, it’s time for your closeup. Drew Brees needs a power tight end with red-zone chops, and you’re it. Or you’d better be.

15. San Diego (9-7). I feel this way every recent June about the Chargers: They will not go 6-10. But they could go 11-5 or 8-8 and it would not surprise me. The insecurity of the franchise will not help.

16. Miami (8-8). Dolphins win second in the AFC East, which is an accomplishment. But I wonder if Stephen Ross will think 9-7 and being out of the playoffs is really such a swell year?

17. Detroit (11-5). I don’t trust the Lions have done enough to bolter a defense made thin by the loss of its best position group, defensive tackle.

18. Buffalo (9-7). Who wouldn’t love to see Rex Ryan playing important football games in January? But if he’s going to do that, that means that Matt Cassel, or E.J. Manuel, or even Tyrod Taylor, is going to have to be playing important football games in January.

19. St. Louis (6-10). If Nick Foles is really good, the Rams will win 11. If he’s average, they’ll win eight. You see which way I’m leaning.

20. Carolina (7-8-1). Giant question marks at both tackle spots and an offense that can’t afford to lose its quarterback. Still love the defense, but did the offense improve enough?

21. Atlanta (6-10). What does new coach Dan Quinn have in store on defense? The pass rush is a question mark coming into the season. And new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan needs to find a starting running back and new No. 3 receiver.

22. New York Giants (6-10). Tell me Eli Manning stays protected, and tell me the second act of Steve Spagnuolo can come close to matching the first, and I’ll have more faith in the Giants to be a playoff team.

23. Chicago (5-11). They blew it with Ray McDonald, and I just don’t see that defense improving. And relying on a Jay Cutler-led offense to over-produce is not a sound strategy.

24. New York Jets (4-12). Love the front seven. Love the new coach. Don’t love much about the offense.

25. Washington (4-12). I’d love to muster up enthusiasm for Jay Gruden, a good man and a good coach. But I can’t get his RGIII negativity out of my head from last season. Only Robert Griffin III can do that—for both of us.

26. San Francisco (8-8). A hurricane’s coming for Jim Tomsula. It’s one thing to know that—and he does know it. It’s another thing to deal with it and find a solution when September comes.

27. Cleveland (7-9). I don’t hate the Browns, at all. I’m just tired of having June faith in them.

28. Houston (9-7). Actually, HBO’s “Hard Knocks” will be a good thing for Houston coach Bill O’Brien. I’ve never been one to think the show is some huge distraction. With a bunch of young kids trying to prove themselves, and an interesting but anonymous quarterback battle, I think the show will be good TV, and good for the Texans in learning to deal with the spotlight early.

29. Tampa Bay (2-14). Jameis Winston will get thrown to the wolves without a good offensive line, and the Bucs also lack a running back. It won’t help having two studs at receiver if Winston doesn’t have time to find them.

30. Jacksonville (3-13). This ranking comes from not trusting Blake Bortles—yet—and not trusting a pass rush dealt a horrible blow with the Dante Fowler injury an hour into his NFL career.

31. Oakland (3-13). It’s not that I don’t trust Derek Carr. It’s that I don’t trust Derek Carr’s health after what I’ve read about the problems with a finger on his throwing hand. That plus the fact that the Raiders have a boatload of existing holes that Jack Del Rio has to address this summer.

32. Tennessee (2-14). I love the Marcus Mariota pick. I don’t love the supporting cast, and he’s not a guy who’s going to be great day one. Or day 24.
laura-kim

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I will be SOOOOOOOOOO pissed if the Whiners end up with a better record than us after all of the upheaval and turmoil going on over there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Minnesota #6? No way! Baltimore and KC are too high. I wouldn't be surprised to see NO tumble out of the top 16.

Cleveland and Houston are too low.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There's a big fucking giant donut hole in that piece of journalism.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
PK is rising quickly to the top of my power rankings for writers to ignore.....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Seems we're always ranked somewhere in the upper teens to low 20's. And it seems that's where we usually end up. Can't disagree with the ranking.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems we're always ranked somewhere in the upper teens to low 20's. And it seems that's where we usually end up. Can't disagree with the ranking.
That is how recent history has gone down... but things have a way of changing, don't they?

I always got the general impression King was pro-Rams, so this kind of surprised me.

There just aren't a lot of believers out there in the media (both local and national).

That first game could change all of that! (y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I will be SOOOOOOOOOO pissed if the Whiners end up with a better record than us after all of the upheaval and turmoil going on over there.
Ditto, my Ram brother. But there's as much chance of that as there is of the Jag's and Titans squaring of in SB 50! Keep the faith, this year the Rams well roll!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ariz @ #10 and the Rams @ #19! I call BS!! their going to lose their QB for the season the 1st time we play them, and the 2nd!!!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yea, I have no problem with this. We have been ranked as dark horses for the past couple of years but always end up mediocre. It's time to take the rating we deserve.

Just come out and punch Seattle straight in the mouth. I don't care if everyone calls us dirty the rest of the year. Set the tone, and make the playoffs.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't mind our ranking, I mean, we haven't been to good in a while. But some of those are really head scratchers. Houston 28? And the Vikings #6? Are you serious Mr. King?

dhaab

Rookie
When I saw the Eagles ranked at #7, I quit reading. And I love how he puts Baltimore at #1 just because he believes John Harbaugh will figure it out. And the Chiefs at #4 is pretty ridiculous too.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I enjoy reading King, generally.

Lots of head scratchers in this article, though. Then again, it's a crapshoot to make these predictions in the first place. Best taken strictly for entertainment purposes, I guess.

But I will say King's man crush for the Pats is a turnoff for me. Enough, already.

And I think the Rams could finish at #19 even if forced to play backup QB's again this year. Remember, we'll have a strong D and ST to go along with an improved OL.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Good! I'm glad he is on record. It means we get to watch him be wrong.

King can get in line behind the rest of the jerkwads who can just kiss my ass.

He's a Patriot knoblicker. What do you expect anyway?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
photo.jpg