Peter King: Why Sam Bradford is MVP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm surprised his MVP isn't Tom Brady after playing 0 games. He does give respect to Aaron Donald though.
Why Sam Bradford is MVP
Hard to get any more valuable than what the undefeated Vikings have received at the quarterback position. Here’s an early look at the award race, with four more surprising candidates
By Peter King

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/05/sam-bradford-minnesota-vikings-mvp-nfl-mailbag

I feel like a 30 for 30 promo.

What if I told you …

that the MVP of the National Football League after a quarter of the season would be a quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings who is not named Teddy Bridgewater … who wasn’t even on the team 10 days before the season started … and whose acquisition enraged many of the team’s fans—who felt the GM who engineered the deal was an incompetent boob.

mmqb-sam-bradford-mvp.jpg
Photo: Hannah Foslien/Getty Images

Normally I wouldn’t want to name a player who missed a quarter of his team’s games the MVP. But I will make an exception for Sam Bradford. Acquired for first-round and fourth-round picks eight days before opening day, Bradford sat out the opener (the Vikings got two defensive touchdowns and won by nine at Tennessee) and started the next three Minnesota games.

In those three games, learning a new offense on the fly, Bradford has beaten quarterbacks who have played in four of the past nine Super Bowls, and in each game outplayed Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton and Eli Manning. Bradford has no turnovers. He has the best completion and passer rating, both by a mile, in his career.

The words “valuable” has always meant something to me with this award. Minnesota lost its three most important offensive players to injury in a two-week span in the summer: Bridgewater, Adrian Peterson and left tackle Matt Kalil. The season, justifiably, could have spiraled to hell. But an unwavering coach, Mike Zimmer, and an emerging star defense have held the fort.

And a quarterback the Rams gave away in 2015 and the Eagles gave away in 2016 has played the best three-game stretch of his pro career. The MVP, I think, should never be determined on numbers alone—though they help. The MVP should be about the player who means the most to a very good team, and without whom that team would be Just Another Team. And the Vikings would be 2-2 or maybe 3-1 with Shaun Hill playing quarterback right now.

Bradford has lifted the Vikings to a point where they believe that without their three leading men they can still win the Super Bowl. And there is tremendous value in that.

“What I’ve gone through has given me perspective I never have had—perspective I didn’t have when I was younger,” Bradford told me after the Green Bay win. “Last year, going through all that stuff in Philadelphia, I’m not sure I would have handled this well. You might not understand it at the time, but there’s always a reason. I just think it’s all part of God’s plan. I don’t worry about it.”

Then he said: “You think I should write a book about all of this?”

What would he say after the third win? On Monday Night Football, over a man with two Super Bowl rings and two Super Bowl MVPs, Eli Manning?

Hopefully, Bradford would say he belongs on a team playing for the biggest prize in the game, something he’s never had a chance to do. And something I feel confident he’ll have a chance to do this year.

Runners up for the MVP at the quarter pole, by the way:

2. Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles. The Rams are 3-1. Reason enough.

3. Trevor Siemian, QB, Denver. This is not a misprint.

4. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta. On fire for the past three weeks.

5. Derek Carr, QB, Oakland. The dawn of the next great Raider is at hand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As a Sam fan....this is like a gut punch on my 3-1 high.....

I was sick when we did that Foles thing...I won't be whole again until Goff plays...and plays well....

Serious....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I was sick when we did that Foles thing...I won't be whole again until Goff plays...and plays well....

Serious....
I'm a Big Sam Fan too, and he should go a long way this year, especially because he's playing in the NFC LEast!!(y);):D

Edit: I forgot to note, It's Great King had the Honesty to Rank Donald at #2 on his possible MVP List!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd had enough of Bradford's unreliability by the time he was moved. The Rams too. It was the right decision at the time.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Serious....

Right there with you. Still wish we didn't trade for Foles, Even though I get why we did. But I still had the feeling he would come back stronger.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The MVP on that team is the defense. But King's like most folks and wants to make everything about the QB. Whatever. Lotta football left, we'll see how it goes. I am happy Sam finally has a good OC, but since I don't root for ex-Rams he can suck it along with Zim and the entire Vikes organization.

Here's hoping they go down again in the playoffs due to missed field goals. Oh how beautiful that would be.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm a Big Sam Fan too, and he should go a long way this year, especially because he's playing in the NFC LEast!!(y);):D

Edit: I forgot to note, It's Great King had the Honesty to Rank Donald at #2 on his possible MVP List!

You mean NFC North?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Will say it has a lot to do with Norv Turner as well as his familiarity with the system (see Schottenheimer) that made his transition smooth.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Serious....

I gotta agree. I was depressed when they made that trade. The fact that they ended up paying foles just as much they owed Sam and that he single handily ruined the Rams 2015 season made it worse.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Serious....
I didn't care for it either, but I also couldn't stand to watch him get injured early & not finish the season anymore. That shit had run its course with me, and I'm sure Fisher & Snead had seen enough of that too. At some point they had to cut their losses. Bright side of it is, the extra 2nd rounder they got was the lynch pin in getting that deal done with Tennessee.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You mean NFC North?
Nope. I believe The NFC East/Least will be at the Bottom of the barrel again this year! With Philly on top and Dallas Washington and the New York Gents fighting it out for the Bottom! JMHO

WestCoastRam

Legend
As a Sam fan, I wish he hadn't gotten hurt and gotten more of a chance with us but mostly I'm happy he's having success. Good for him!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope. I believe The NFC East/Least will be at the Bottom of the barrel again this year! With Philly on top and Dallas Washington and the New York Gents fighting it out for the Bottom! JMHO

Yeah, but you do know Sam plays for the Vikings now?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Right. I agree about the NFC East/Least.
But he's not playing in the NFC East/Least. Your original post said he was.
He's playing in the NFC North. :whistle:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah, but you do know Sam plays for the Vikings now?

:palm:DUH! :oops:Stupid me!:oops: Brain Fart! My Bad!:oops::confused: But the East is still the Least!!(y);) ( I must have been suffering from Brain Lock or something!)
Revised opinion, Bradford will be in for it when he faces The Packers!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:palm:DUH! :oops:Stupid me!:oops: Brain Fart! My Bad!:oops::confused: But the East is still the Least!!(y);) ( I must have been suffering from Brain Lock or something!)
Revised opinion, Bradford will be in for it when he faces The Packers!

the vikings have already stomped a mudhole in the packers' ass.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Right. I agree about the NFC East/Least.
But he's not playing in the NFC East/Least. Your original post said he was.
He's playing in the NFC North. :whistle:
My Error!! I had brain lock thinking of him w/Philly!OOPS!:oops::rolleyes: