Peter King: The most compelling unit in football? Rams ST's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Compelling - having a powerful and irresistible effect; requiring acute admiration, attention, or respect

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/28/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-week-13-preview/2/

The most compelling unit in football.

It’s St. Louis’ special teams. Is there some unwritten rule in Jeff Fisher’s playbook that he has to do something quirky in the kicking game every Sunday? Hats off to special teams coach John Fassel, and punter/surprise quarterback Johnnie Hekker, who completed another fake-punt pass last week at San Diego.

Fair warning, Oakland. Be ready. After all, you should know Fassel, who formerly coached your special teams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Fisher comes from the same mold as the Late Great George Allen. Allen was a strong believer in a strong D (Fearsome Foursome) and He believed ST were critical to winning games! Fisher seems to fit that profile!

fearsomefour

Legend
It really comes down to have a punter who can throw the ball. The fakes vs. Seattle and San Diego are really very simple plays that would not fail unless there was a drop. They are about isolating the guy covering the gunner. If teams run two guys on the gunner the Rams would probably have to get more creative. That is not to downplay what the Rams have done with the fakes. Their simplicity is what makes them brilliant and successful.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hekker is the difference maker because of how well he throws thew ball. He is always going to have the other teams attention because of the fantastic success he's had. They can't take their eyes off of him because you never know when he is going to pass it. I find myself thinking "it's gonna be a fake" once a game LOL.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Add in the fact that he isa great punter also. Teams have to respect his ability to punt, makes the fakes easier to pull off - guys know that any shot of a return means they have to do there job perfect, making it more difficult to watch for a fake. Repect all the way around.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hekker is the difference maker because of how well he throws thew ball. He is always going to have the other teams attention because of the fantastic success he's had. They can't take their eyes off of him because you never know when he is going to pass it. I find myself thinking "it's gonna be a fake" once a game LOL.
Me too. He is going to continue to have success with them as well I would suspect. The success rate really is about Hekker having that extra skill. He is a must resign this offseason....in fact, get that done before FA period starts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think one of the reasons that John Fassel liked Hekker was because he played Quarterback in high school. Hekker also is a great holder as well, best punt the Rams have had since I have been following the Rams IMHO. and the Rams havve had some doozies!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Me too. He is going to continue to have success with them as well I would suspect. The success rate really is about Hekker having that extra skill. He is a must resign this offseason....in fact, get that done before FA period starts.

When you think about how close most games are having top flight kickers is a nice edge to have. The Rams are fortunate to have a couple of guys like this.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Cunningham isn't flashy on kickoffs, but he's damn good at it and very underrated. Austin is a hell of a returner. We have great coverage units. One of the best kickers in the game, best punter- we're just damn good in every phase of ST's.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
That punt fake out by Austin and Bailey vs Sea for TD is probably one if not the best ever.

PreshusRoy

UDFA
I may be wrong but didn't HOF punter Ray Guy actually play QB in a game once... is Hekk a modern day Ray Guy???

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That punt fake out by Austin and Bailey vs Sea for TD is probably one if not the best ever.

I know Austin sold it like a mofo but what Bailey did to get down field and get the ball was really pretty damned amazing. That was one hell of a catch.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes, he completed 2 out of 3 passes with 1 int.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GuyxRa20.htm

Guy also played quarterback in his early years; for much of his career he was the Raiders' emergency quarterback, replacing kicker-quarterback George Blanda in this position.

He was also a placekicker at Southern Mississippi, once kicking a then-record 61-yard field goal in a snowstorm during a game in Utah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Guy

I was ALWAYS irritated at the HOF for not putting him in sooner. How many guys have 7 pro bowls and 3 first team all pros and three SB rings and have to wait to get in? It was preposterous.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Surprise punter, that made me laugh. It's especially funny because the other team never even expects it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's kinda crazy when the Rams were punting to SD with like 7 mins left I'm like no way your basically giving away the game it's a fake. And surely it was. They even lined up like they expected it!